Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 21, 2013   #1
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Default What do you think of azomite?

On one hand I've read it's a good remineralizer for depleted soils while on the other hand I've read that is extremely high in aluminum. Adding a chelating agent, (ie kelp) releases aluminum into the soil, which could, in turn, come to our crops. Any insights here would be greatly appreciated.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i used it last season and had some very large plants. i was in a new raised bed and grew all new to me varieties. without a side by side i couldnt tell you if it helped or not. i will be using again as i still have some left. when i run out i will prob not order again unless i notice a drop off in production or plant size

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

just an fyi

i used fox farms happy frog tomato ferts, actinovate, mycogrow soluble and biobizz biogrow.

hard to tell if the azomite did anything with with all this other stuff i used

Old January 21, 2013   #4
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'm planning on doing Amideutch's Actinovate,
Mycogrow & Biota Max dip this year and feed with Biobizz grow formula. How often do you apply Biogrow? Did you use it as a soil drench or a foliar spray?

I've started shopping at our local hydroponics store, they've been promoting Azomite. I just sent my soil in for testing, should be interesting to see my results.
Old January 21, 2013   #5
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I added azomite last year, plus directly addressed some low micronutrient deficiencies that showed up in a soil analysis. I hadn't heard of the aluminum issue with it, but had read good things about it overall.

I had a pretty good year, but like the prior posts I didn't do a controlled test so I can't tell you what direct effect it had.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

forgot to mention the biota max. i used that too

as for the biobizz i used it as a soil drench. i used it about every other time i watered. the directions say 2-5 ml per liter and i followed them. my first application i used about 2 ml and gradually increased as the plants could take it. i dont think i used any ferts for the first couple weeks though.

Old January 21, 2013   #7
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marktuff, I'm curious if the aluminum issue is valid before I invest in any. The soil I've put my berries on I'm sure is depleted, while my raised beds should look a lot better.

Good to hear both you and TightenUp both had good years last year, I'm hoping for prolific healthy and delicious fruits!

TightenUp, is the Biota Max a one time thing or is it used throughout the growing season?

Thanks!
Old January 21, 2013   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

One time thing

Old January 21, 2013   #9
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! What part of the country do you garden, may I ask? I'm on the central coast, a bit inland. Hot and dry summers for the most part.
Old January 21, 2013   #10
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

im in new jersey. have gardens in north jersey(15 miles inland) and 2 in south jersey(100 yards from ocean and about 500 yards). the south jersey beach garden gets a constant wet salty mist from the prevalent south east winds pulling moisture from the ocean. its a new garden and hardest to fight disease.

i found that for the most part the actinovate, exel lg and molasses did well for me. the beach garden needed bi-weekly spray to be most effective and it took a few weeks to figure that out. up in north jersey i only sprayed 8 or 10 times all season and the plants did well until frost

south gardens are right on the edge of zones 7A/7B but fall in 7a while up north im on the edge of 6b/7a and diff sites say i'm in one or the other.

Old January 21, 2013   #11
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I've been using azomite for a few years. I haven't actually done a test group, but my veggie plants seem bigger and healthier. I do know it has made a big differance with my citrus trees.

I found the following on Azomite's international web site...

Alumina (Al2O3)* 11.43%

*The alumina is not biologically available. It is bound to the silica and is an aluminosilicate. Sand, clay, most rock deposits, and soil deposits are primarily aluminosilicates.

Mineral content...
http://www.azomiteinternational.com/..._Analysis.html

Home page...
http://www.azomiteinternational.com/
davidstcldfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #12
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Azomite is useless clay. Unless your land has been intensively farmed, mineral depletion is highly unlikely (though certainly a real phenomenon). Tropical or highly weathered soils are much more likely to have this problem.

If minerals are really depleted, there is no need to buy azomite. Use whatever gravel or rock dust is locally available. Volcanic or glacial rock dust is ideal, but decomposed granite will work too. Crushed river rock is usually somewhere in between. Kelp is another option for those with cheap access.

Having montmorillonite shipped in from Utah is just silly, imho.

If you have yet to get a soil test, strongly consider it.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #13
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Here is a very small scale study that details the potential impact of the use of azomite in the soil for growing tomatoes.

http://www.azomiteinternational.com/.../Tomatoes.html
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #14
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

I've been using azomite for the past 2 years and it works great. I'm sure you can use other products to get the same effect. I get it for 25 dollars for a 44lb bag.

I did a test on my dragon fruit trees, the ones with it had more fruit.
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013   #15
Dak
Tomatovillian™

davidstcldfl & Mark0820, thanks for pulling up that research. I look forward to reading it.

greentiger87, yes, I should be getting the results of my soil tests by the end of the week.

tqn626, great price! Do you pick it up locally or have you found an online supplier? (must be nice to be in a climate where you can grow dragon fruit )