Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old April 25, 2012   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I should try the lime.
I use so much basil everyday.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #17
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Last year I decided to freeze a bunch of basil. The plants were starting to form flowers, so I just sheared off all of the plants to about half their size.

Then you take the branches inside, wash them well, pull off the best leaves and finely process them with just enough olive oil to make them stick together.

Then you dump the blend on a sheet of wax paper, form it into a big square and score it with a pizza cutter to make small one serving squares.

You feeze it for a while then break the big square along the score lines into the smaller ones and layer it into a freezer safe plastic tub with wax paper in between the layers.

Any time I needed basil, I could just pop out a square or two as needed. It's much better than dried. (Then the fridge started it's slowly cycling on and off and I lost everything in both the fridge and the freezer. Finally getting a new one in a couple of weeks. Yaaay!)

After I did this the first time, all of the plants grew right back out and I was able to get another large harvest and a smaller one after that.

Love. love, love Basil!!!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I freeze basil with olive oil and garlic every year. I may or may not add the other pesto ingredients. I love pesto for use in so many things. I love all sorts of pesto. With almonds, pine nuts, pecans, cashews.
I wish I could figure out a way to make it with not so much oil. Perhaps I could add some tomatoes and summer squash to keep the flavor/texture but not quite so much oil? Any ideas? I really love using pesto as a condiment or just as a sauce on its own.
This year, as I pull up some of the plants that expire from heat ( in AZ some things just start dying around June) I'm replacing them with basil plants. I'd like to freeze a bunch of pesto for winter.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #19
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

I have made very tasty butters with basil. ( I know, it's not good for you, but it sure tastes good, and I use it sparingly in cooking). Chop desired herbs finely (my favorite combo is lemon basil, lemon peel, and a little black pepper). Combine with softened butter. Press the butter into icecube trays and freeze. Store the little frozen squares in a plastic bag in the freezer until needed. This recipe is awesome added to chicken breasts before baking. Even the kids love it.

You can make all sorts of herb combinations this way, to add to meats, fish, or veggies when cooking.
Old April 30, 2012   #20
JoParrott

My favorite Basil is Greek Columnar Basil- it doesn't flower (or very rarely) so it doesn't have to be pinched back like others. The flavor is intense- I keep mine going year to year by keeping it rooted in water over the winter, then potting it up in spring.
Old October 10, 2012   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonysoilseeds View Post
i love basil as well amd all the different types i usually grow sweet basil thai basil and lime basil/// this year i added sacred and cinamon basil too.. the lime basil has a great flavor
I am growing cinamon basil for the first time this year. What did you think of it?
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote