Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 13, 2016   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeking a good 'head' lettuce

Something like iceberg, but with more flavor and something that does not bolt too quickly. I already have some great leaf types.

Any suggestions??
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Home grown head lettuce will be vastly better in flavour than grocery store iceberg. If growing head lettuce is new for you, you can likely try anything that you can readily find seed for and the flavour will be delicious compared to the watery hydroponically grown store lettuce. The colour will also be greener. to me greener= more flavour.

If you have grown head lettuce before and found the flavour lacking, perhaps try a butterhead type which has a lot of flavour or any cos or romaine type for a richer more "lettucey" flavour.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
If you have grown head lettuce before and found the flavour lacking, perhaps try a butterhead type which has a lot of flavour or any cos or romaine type for a richer more "lettucey" flavour.

KarenO
I saw variety called Buttercrunch or something like that and it looked interesting. Is that what you mean by butterhead?
I currently have Little Caesar and Black-seeded Simpson, which were wonderful last year for salads, but was also looking to add a more traditional and tasty head type.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Home grown head lettuce will be vastly better in flavour than grocery store iceberg. If growing head lettuce is new for you, you can likely try anything that you can readily find seed for and the flavour will be delicious compared to the watery hydroponically grown store lettuce. The colour will also be greener. to me greener= more flavour.

KarenO
Yep, and you might consider spinach also. Fresh spinach from a garden, in my humble opinion, bests any lettuce for taste.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

yes, Buttercrunch is a great variety. butterhead lettuces are different than an iceburg type head lettuce but they do form loose heads. the texture is different than either leaf or head or cos lettuces and the flavour is really good. something different you might like to try.
I really enjoy growing and trying different lettuces. there are so many when you venture outside of the standard varieties.
I start mine and then transplant the seedlings to the garden at the correct spacing so they can grow properly
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttercrunch.jpg (14.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by KarenO; February 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like Romaine the best.
Slightly bitter Romaine hearts are to die for.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #7
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default Anuenue Lettuce

I always liked this lettuce, it forms a head similar to iceburg.

'Anuenue'

Click to enlarge
A sweet green header from Hawaii, of all places. Can you hear the winds sing “ah-new-ee-new-ee” as a rainbow arches over your paradise...? ‘Anuenue’ (rainbow) works as a thick green cut-leaf for salad, or as an easy, heat tolerant, non-bitter, full-heading lettuce for market. Undemanding, mellow heads, bred for sun, heat, and humidity.
https://www.wildgardenseed.com/produ...1c597f5954d723
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2016   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Iceberg varieties might be worth trying.

I normally don't eat lettuce (I like kale and arugula a lot more), but I got some "Iceberg lettuce" seeds from someone at a local seed/plant exchange. She was so enthusiastic about it, and said it was nothing like the grocery store variety, that I finally tried it. And I like it! I've been picking it as a leaf lettuce -- outer leaves, I guess. They are dark green with slightly frilly edges and a little crunchy. In the garden, the center leaves are just starting to curl in on themselves, maybe to make a head? Or maybe if I'd left the outer leaves, they would have helped form the head? In any case, I'm enjoying the leaves I pick one at a time.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote