Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old May 21, 2007   #1
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Default Tree rats vs. Herbs ~

How would I keep tree rats out of my herb planter ?

I was thinking hot pepper powder .. anything else ?

Hope all is well ...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007   #2
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Gosh, I remember battling the squirrels when I lived in town in Wisconsin.... I don't think I've ever been so angry in all my life. EVERY morning I would find a new pot of flowers or herbs dug into and pretty much destroyed. They would even climb to the top of my sunflowers and bite the heads off, which they took TO THE PICNIC TABLE of all places and had a feast! I hated those #@$%*!#$!!!

I never won a battle against them; for your sake I hope someone can give you some good advice.

Lisa
Old May 23, 2007   #3
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Our young, male cat decided that he was an outdoor cat, no matter what his owner might think. He has solved our problem with the chipmunks quite handily. I did see one squirrel about the time the snow first melted, but haven't seen hide nor hair of him since.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use a good cat to solve my tree rat worries.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

We have Bailey (border collie mix) our tree-rat chaser ... but shes only out during certain times of the day; therefore allowing tree-rats to roam free...
Looks like they've found my cuke & zuke seeds ... man are they gonna get it ~ when I find out how !!! lol ~

Tom

Old May 24, 2007   #6
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Many years ago we lived on the NY-MA state border. Hunters in those parts swore that all of the deer could read. And they were probably right What happened was this: hunting season is at different times in the two states. About the time hunting in NY started, every single deer anywhere near the border would stroll across into Massachusetts, from where they would look at those NY hunters and snicker. A couple of weeks later they would all pick up and together with their Mass cousins stroll over into New York, laughing like a bunch of loons at all those frustrated Mass hunters.

Put the doggie out at unexpected times
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

lol ~ watched Bailey tear out of the patio door this AM to watch her chase that tree-rat around the yard ... It was a close race, but it finally was able to hop the fence and up the old oak in back ~ lol ~ I don't think he'll be back anytime soon ~ had to run for his life ~ lol

~ Tom
Old May 25, 2007   #8
bcday
Tomatovillian™

LOL -- reminds me of the time I saw a rabbit climb a 4-foot fence, one jump ahead of my dog.

Sorry, no good ideas about squirrels. One dug up a bunch of my cosmos seedlings last week. It's not like they don't have anything else to eat around here, there are bird feeders galore all over the neighborhood.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #9
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

OK, really dumb question, but are you referring to squirrels or actual rats? We have roof rats (aka tree rats) out here in the tile roofs, and I used to see them in our holly tree until I had the evil thing cut down (when those leaves get dry, the spines are like needles.) I know they weren't squirrels, since we have plenty of them for comparison as well, and I saw their little skinny ratty bald tails. Yeeeccch.

But I digress....I coated my tulip planters in cayenne this spring. Had to do it pretty frequently, but it seemed to work. However, that was to keep them from digging vs. eating what was actually there. I've tried the hot pepper wax sprays before on tomatoes, and they unfortunately didn't seem to do much. One of my friends tried the coyote pee stuff, but I'm not so sure about having that on stuff you're going to eat. And apparently if you have dogs, the coyote pee will make them nuts.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote