Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old July 7, 2012   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just updating to say that I sent it to Adam Gleckler at Gleckler Seedmen as well as Glenn Drowns at Sandhill for trial this summer and both of those can turn around a variety in one season and list it for sale if all goes well. I think there was a third place I also sent it but can't remember off hand.

So fingers crossed there will be at least two places commercially for 2013.

I just checked Tania's page for it to see if there are any others places where it can be found and there aren't any except there should have been a listing for 2012 under the SSE listed ones, but there isn't, b'c both Neil G, retiree here, and myself SSE listed.

With over 3,000 pages there's no way that Tania can keep all of the varieties up to date.

I probably have enough seeds left to offer it in my next seed offer here, the one where you can get a certain number of varieties for an SASE.
Old July 7, 2012   #32
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I grew it last year, had trouble getting the plants going (they stayed small) but once they did, they were terrific. I'm growing them again this year - one is going quite well, the other is being very slow. But lots are slow this year, we're busy baking here.
Glad I'm not the only one- last year's plant was rather slow and didn't have many fruits. Once it got going a bit, the fruits had a tendency toward inner blossom end rot. I gave it another try this year but the plant is much smaller than the others and is the only one I've kept that still has only a couple of fruits on it. We've been quite hot lately as well, but most varieties are thriving- including ones that did well in a cool, wet year. I was thinking that it's just one that doesn't like my garden but it's interesting how you've got one slow one and another that's ok. Are they in two different locations? I'm interested in hearing how it does for others now that even more have received seeds.

kath

Last edited by kath; July 7, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #33
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Mine are in two different locations. One is at home, in a container, and it's not delighted. Most aren't here, but it's a little less delighted than the others.
The other one is in ground at my other location. It's doing fine, but probably is a bit behind the other varieties.
I'm not sure why, but I've had a bit more trouble with this variety than others - small seedlings, seedlings dying off small, and slower to take off in the garden. Two different seed sources as well.
But once they get going, they're worth it - they are delicious!
Old July 7, 2012   #34
kath
Tomatovillian™

The taste was good for me, too, and it's a very pretty tomato. After a close look this morning, I see that it has set some more fruits and it really has grown a lot taller in the past few days. Rotten spots inside a tomato are very off-putting, though, and a deal-breaker for me if that happens again.

I'm seeing quite a bit of external BER all of a sudden this year but only on certain plants- don't know if that means there will be more of the internal kind or not. Probably because of the fluctuating moisture due to the heat and dry soil and my feeble attempts to water everything, which I rarely do. Three more plants got pulled today. Still have way too many that are looking fabulous.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #35
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I'm not sure why, but I've had a bit more trouble with this variety than others - small seedlings, seedlings dying off small, and slower to take off in the garden.
I, too, had small seedlings and seedlings dying off small. Even with coddling, I didn't manage to get a viable plant.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #36
tam91
Tomatovillian™

The first year, it was suggested that perhaps the seeds were from immature fruit. When I fertilized them, that did help.
I had two different seed sources this year, but similar problems. I did get one viable plant, and one maybe. We'll see this year.