Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2017   #856
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We have a line of storms heading our way from Oklahoma. Should be here in an hour or less.
That should quiet down all the fireworks. Our new pup Sawyer is afraid of the fireworks and am walking him around the backyard trying to coax him into pooping before the storm gets here. Not sure that gonna happen.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #857
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

We had no rain in the forecast today and about 10:00 am it was raining over my garden and back patio for about 10 minutes or so. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, lol. It's been hot but the humidity has been lower making it easier to leave the house around 4:00 to go have some dinner and do some shopping. I still came home sweating though. Right now it's 85 degrees and 69% humidity and it's after 8:00 pm here.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #858
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Our cool nights are gone for awhile I'm sad to say.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #859
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth
Same here. Our lows are forecast at about 73F and highs around 92F.
Humidity is about 75%. It is officially summer.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #860
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gardeneer, I hope your mid July through mid September temperatures don't mimic what they are here so many years. 80+ degree lows. You can imagine what the highs are.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #861
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Gardeneer, I hope your mid July through mid September temperatures don't mimic what they are here so many years. 80+ degree lows. You can imagine what the highs are.
Robert, I have no past experience. I came here last September. It was ok.
Probably it won't be as hot here ( like DFW area).
We shall see.
BTW: My fall tomato plants are planted out. So if my spring/summer plants are toast, I will have few replacements.

Happy Gardening !
Old July 2, 2017   #862
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Robert, I have no past experience. I came here last September. It was ok.
Probably it won't be as hot here ( like DFW area).
We shall see.
BTW: My fall tomato plants are planted out. So if my spring/summer plants are toast, I will have few replacements.
Half (15) of our fall tomatoes are planted, and the other half (17) are still in the solo cup stage. They are going to be planted in an area where I've never planted anything before. The soil is different there. It's a brown colored clay - silt/sand mix, but more clay than silt/sand. Just guessing, the area is around 500 feet away from the raised beds. We will have to haul water to them using a truck. They have been out in the heat since being started from seed.

It is muggy hot out there again tonight.
Old July 2, 2017   #863
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worth
Yeah, it isn't going to be fun the next few months.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 2, 2017   #864
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

500 feet away ? that is too far. If you use 5 one hundred ft hose, it might not be enough. So hauling water is the best option.
Of my fall tomatoes I have 2 more left to be planted Mat-Su-exp and Black Kreme .
I have so much tomatoes right now that I cannot handle. I keep canning, giving away, eating fresh, cooking with .
Fall tomatoes are intended for fresh eating and cooking and for the neighbors too.

Happy Gardening !
Old July 3, 2017   #865
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Besides all the logical things you can do with tomatoes ... There's another fun thing to do with extra tomatoes if you have the area. I chose Japanese Pink Cherry to do this with. The stinkbugs and leaffooted bugs had already ruined them. The variety is a very sweet one. I picked every tomato and tossed them out in an area that I don't plant in. If they grow, Ill put a cage around them.

I guess there could be many ways to look at that - I see it as way to give it a chance.
Old July 3, 2017   #866
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
We had no rain in the forecast today and about 10:00 am it was raining over my garden and back patio for about 10 minutes or so. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, lol. It's been hot but the humidity has been lower making it easier to leave the house around 4:00 to go have some dinner and do some shopping. I still came home sweating though. Right now it's 85 degrees and 69% humidity and it's after 8:00 pm here.
My Gran would say the Devil was beating his wife and the rain was her tears.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #867
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow, another scorcher today. It's 82 degrees and 78% humidity out there right now. I have to go out and water before the temps rise.

Heat Advisory

Weather Updated: Jul 04 3:05AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
For Aransas County, Texas

HEAT ADVISORY FROM 12PM CDT TUE UNTIL 7PM CDT TUE ...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING. *

TEMPERATURE...HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 110 AND 115 DEGREES...POSSIBLY HIGHER IN KINGSVILLE. *

IMPACTS...PROLONGED OUTDOOR ACTIVITY WITHOUT PROPER REST... HYDRATION...OR OTHER PRECAUTIONARY ACTIONS MAY RESULT IN HEAT EXHAUSTION OR EVEN HEAT STROKE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT HEAT INDICES OF 110 DEGREES OR HIGHER ARE EXPECTED OVER MOST OF THE AREA FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS. PROLONGED EXPOSURE COMBINED WITH PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COULD CAUSE HEAT EXHAUSTION AND EVEN HEAT STROKE. THE ELDERLY, THE VERY YOUNG, THE SICK, AND PEOPLE WITH HEART CONDITIONS ARE MOST AT RISK IN EXTREME HEAT.

REDUCE, ELIMINATE, OR RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO THE COOLEST TIMES OF THE DAY. IF YOU MUST BE OUTSIDE, REDUCE YOUR ACTIVITIES, AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS PREFERABLY IN AN AIR CONDITIONED AREA. WEAR LIGHTWEIGHT, LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING. DRINK PLENTY OF NON-ALCOHOLIC LIQUIDS, PREFERABLY WATER, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT FEEL THIRSTY.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 4, 2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old July 4, 2017   #868
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hot and dry has set in, 90's and no rain is the 10 day. Always a weather roller coaster here, even more so this year.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #869
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We have been getting rain off and on all day dropping the temps in the 70's. Weather girl just said we got 1.46" so far. It is still raining steady and the neighborhood is popping with fireworks. The city has said they will be shooting their display rain or shine at 9:45p. I go to bed at 8pm, so a quieter holiday wouldn't upset me.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #870
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Lucky you Steve for the rain , hot and dry here and dragging hoses still from when to when now ......... yuk! and we still get the noisy stuff past midnight. oh well it is over and we / they have celebrated the birthday of our country and we should not ever forget it!!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote