Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 25, 2009   #31
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Most of the rest of mine have bugs on them. So not much success for me either. Real bummer too as I wasted the whole raised bed for the corn this spring.
Once I pull them I would like to figure out what I could plant this late and still have some success. Any ideas?
Old May 25, 2009   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

What kind of bugs?

Corn earworms?

Aphids?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #33
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Not sure Morgan. I did have aphids but the ones I saw were not earworms I dont think. I may need to take a pic and post it
Old May 26, 2009   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
MIne are dark brown as well. Kernel color was nice and bright yellow but the kernels were a touch on the small side. I am hoping that that will improve some if I give the next one a couple more days. I just pulled back the husk a bit to take a peek hoping not to disturb anything. I didnt see any worms but some type of bug was on one of them pretty thick. I also poked a kernel and it was milky.
Duane,

Kandy Korn has very small kernels.

How tall did your stalks get? Up here, Kandy Korn grows to 8 1/2 feet (measured to the top of the tassle).

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009   #35
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Gary, mine are in that range, 8 ft or so

edit to add: I found a couple more ears that have developed kernels an inch and a half or so from the tip with decent color. The bugs I mentioned were only on the tip area. I plant to pull these two here shortly and sample

Last edited by duajones; May 26, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009   #36
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Ok, these were better than the first one and pretty good. I didnt find them to be much better if any than some of the storebought corn. Not sure at this point if it is worth the effort and space. Different variety maybe? Better spacing? Proper fertilization?
Old May 27, 2009   #37
duajones
Tomatovillian™

After looking at pictures of corn insects I think the bugs I have been seeing are flea beetles

http://lubbock.tamu.edu/ipm/AgWeb/ph...eetTCE_png.htm
Old May 28, 2009   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...l8TJ2hrFWxM0Bg

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009   #39
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I always considered flea beetles to be so small as to just cause cosmetic damage to the plants, not the ears at all.

My problem this year was a combination of not fertilizing enough, not harvesting when the silks were brown (a roommate told me to wait until they were black), and probably the early heat did not help either.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009   #40
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I ended up pulling 3 more edible ears last night. The kernels werent developed all the way to the tips and there were a couple of flea beetles present. I had all 3 ears for dinner last night and they were pretty tasty. I also have ears that are hardly developed at all even though the silks are dark. Less than perfect first attempt but I do plan on giving it another go and plant them even closer the next go round after seeing Rays setup and the success he has had in the earthtainers.
Old May 28, 2009   #41
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
Once I pull them I would like to figure out what I could plant this late and still have some success. Any ideas?
Southern peas, or leave it for fall tomatoes, if you were planning on doing a fall crop.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2009   #42
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Planted staggered sets of rows (8) of Xtra Sweet Bicolor Corn (#4427) and after I ran out I planted some Kandy Corn (3 rows). Row spacing 12 inches, between plants 6 to 8 inches. 7 foot long rows. Some of the Xtra Sweet have full ears, but alot of the ears are short and appear stunted. What did I do wrong?
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote