Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 9, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default growing root veggies in containers....help!

This is for carrots and onions; know it's not recommended to grow in containers because of how long their roots can get.

Carrot varieties aren't long; a baby variety is 4", and the normal carrots are 6"-7", which I consider 'average' for length.

I was told that depth of containers should be twice as long as depth of root veggie. Containers are 11"-12" w/depth; just plastic storage containers that are translucent w/color to reduce heat build up.

Also have these questions about beets etc. Diameter of the bulbs are 2"-4" wide.

Last edited by aimeruni; April 9, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #2
John3
Tomatovillian™

I got some Little Fingers carrots and some Parisian carrots to grow in containers this season. The Parisian carrots are round carrots approx 1 inch in size. Interested in this question also. Thanks for posting it.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #3
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I'm using 18 gal totes for tomato plants which are still small, only set out a week or so. I put some radishes in one end of a container and onions in one. Pulled my first French Breakfast radish today, pulled fresh green onions yesterday. They will all be gone before the tomato plants get any real size to it.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #4
babice
Tomatovillian™

I direct-sowed carrots and parsley together in a container last year and had good results so I plan to do that again this year in with the toms (something like 24-inch planters). And I've had good results putting garlic and onions (from bulb) in containers. I also direct-seed dill (keep it away from your tom if you're going to let it mature) in containers with good results. Probably a good thing I had not heard the rule you mentioned about not growing these kinds of things in containers...ahh.... hey if you read some places, they'll tell you that you can only grow cherry toms well in containers and I've read otherwise here (sure hoping otherwise as well!). Not sure I answered your question but I personally think it's worth a shot!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #5
Jennyann
Tomatovillian™

I actually grew carrots in a plastic, 18 inch deep container with great success(it was one of those square clear plastic lidded boxes for clothes maybe?) It was a packet of mixed colors. Just kept it watered and used sterile soil so there wasn't any weeds to worry with. They grew great and were very forgiving. My guess is onions would do easily as well.
Jennyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Hi y'all. Very interested as well.
Have 2 20 gallon tubs of carrots growing now. Mixed results on my first batch, which I grew over the winter in the basement, so both light (probably not enough), heat (too warm) and humidity (too low) were probably all negative factors.

Hoping round 2, outside, is a little better.
My question - What are you fertilizing them with? I have read that you want more K and less N and P. Any brand specific recommendations or routines?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #7
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
My question - What are you fertilizing them with? I have read that you want more K and less N and P. Any brand specific recommendations or routines?
Well - I grew them about a foot away from my toms last year (and, again, amongst parsley because they help each other). So the fert the toms got is what the carrots got. I think last year I used a water solubale granual that said it was for tomatoes. The carrots and parsley grew very well. Thin them out every now and then when they start growing if you want to let them get big. They (both parsley and carrots) will also flower if you let them grow long enough and attract beneficials to the garden.

p.s. don't grow dill anywhere near the carrots - they don't like each other. I did have some dill and carrots in the same container last year but that was an experiment. The carrots did grow but not great. The carrots on the south side of my house that I grew amongst parsley and a foot away from to the toms did extremely well.

Last edited by babice; April 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add a p.s.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #8
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

I've got a bunch of carrots (Nantes) going in a "15 gallon wide" nursery pot -- about 18" diameter by 18" deep. They are very happy and productive -- and tasty.
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #9
JonFrum
Tomatovillian™

Carrots are best when picked at less than full size, so I wouldn't hesitate to grow most garden varieties in containers. And what's the worst that happens? They get cut up before they go in the stew anyway. I've just planted carrots in milk crate containers. I don't want to let them go as large as possible, because I'll want to reuse the container later in the season.
JonFrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Not sure I agree that you need a soil depth of twice the length of the root. I've grown beets, carrots and onions in raised beds that had a soil depth of only about 7" and both did fine- there was landscape fabric underneath. In spring, I try to get the carrots in and out quickly because of heat, carrot rust fly and succession planting and have found that Nelson and Mokum consistently produced the earliest best "short" carrots for taste, color, shape, etc.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote