Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 16, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default help with compost!

I make my own soilless mix. Below is the 'recipe' for it. I make it in lg. batches one lg. batch makes 30-35 gallons.

2-3 cubic feet pine bark fines/mulch
5 gallons perlite
5 gallons spaghnum peat moss

I'd like to add a small amount of compost to the mix; this is for root veggies cause they prefer a more loose soil and for heavy feeders (any type of squash and melons).

By 'small amount of compost' I mean 10%-20% per lg. batch. 10% is about 3.5 gallons; 20% is about 7 gallons. I'd like to add the compost while still retaining the 'lightness' of the soil, and still having it be fast draining.

If I just add a small amount of compost, will my mix still retain the lightness and fast-draining qualities?
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #2
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

myself I would add 5 gal
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

It will retain more water and be heavier, but I myself think it's a good idea. I add 20% myself. I have a similar mix but use diatomaceous earth instead of perlite. It gives the aeration of perlite, but also retains water and makes it available to the plants while still maintaining air space if not saturated with water. Also it never breaks down. Perlite does in 5 years. This matters to me as I recycle my potting soil in raised beds. Seeing a number of studies convinced me to use it. Increased plant growth etc. the studies were very positive.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2014   #4
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Drew, in what form is the DE that you use?
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryStPaul View Post
Drew, in what form is the DE that you use?

Easy for me to get at O'Reilly's Auto Parts is Optisorb oil absorbent. Larger particle size than Ultrasorb. Particle size in Optisorb is about 1/4 inch diameter. Both are 100% DE. Axisl is another product that can be used, but I have not looked for it. I have no idea who sells it? Lot's a good info in their promo material

http://www.axisplayball.com/home_htm...ING%20SOIL.pdf

Do not use the powder or food grade product.

Some absorbents are clay, so if you use another brand, make sure you get DE!
Notice how cheap it is, 33 pounds for under $12.00. I think O'Reilly's charges $18.00. Probably cheaper once you add shipping at this site: So not only is it better than perlite, it's cheaper!

http://store.spill-kit.com/optisorb-p69.aspx

Last edited by drew51; April 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote