Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2018   #1
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

Default Neem Oil

Has anyone used neem oil to deter hornworms? The last few summers they have been thriving in my Chicago suburb garden. I was wondering if I should spray some directly on the ground around the plants??? Thanks, as always, for you all your sage advice.
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #2
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovermother22 View Post
Has anyone used neem oil to deter hornworms? The last few summers they have been thriving in my Chicago suburb garden. I was wondering if I should spray some directly on the ground around the plants??? Thanks, as always, for you all your sage advice.
I have used it on Aphids, just make sure to use it first thing in the morning or late in the evening so you don't suffocate any beneficial insects.

A better approach may be Bt (Bacillus Thuringiensis)
Just bear in mind that BT does not discriminate against any caterpillars
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
I have used it on Aphids, just make sure to use it first thing in the morning or late in the evening so you don't suffocate any beneficial insects.

A better approach may be Bt (Bacillus Thuringiensis)
Just bear in mind that BT does not discriminate against any caterpillars
I agree. Bt would be a more efficient choice.

On the other hand, Costco has Bonide Neem Oil on their shelves. 1 gallon with the spray nozzle for $19.99.
Old March 29, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I agree. Bt would be a more efficient choice.

On the other hand, Costco has Bonide Neem Oil on their shelves. 1 gallon with the spray nozzle for $19.99.
dont waste your money on that. if it is 19.99 for a gallon it is likely nothing more than a smelly spray. Bt is a way more effective option. you are not going to worry over any other caterpillars on your tomatoes... I have never seen a beneficial one on tomatoes.. now if you see cocoons on the hornworms leave them alone, those are benficial wasps doing their job.

the neem oil called neemix in my produce supply catalog... 4.5% azadirachtin... is $195.80/quart

100%neem oil is 67.10 per gallon. has insecticidal and fungicidal properties. it doesn't say it is effective. just that it has them.

this is my go to catalog from a mainly Amish supplier. these people don't waste their money on items that don't work. hence... they don't carry the "cheap"/ineffective mixes of insecticides.

both are in the organic section of supplies. the stuff at the store... I pretty much don't think it does much of anything.

Last edited by clkeiper; March 29, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No, I've never used it for hornworms since I do that differently. Go down your rows of tomato plants at least once a day,if you see a hornworm, pick it off and stomp on it and stand back since the green insides go all over the place.

BUT,if you see a hornworm with white eggs on its back, leave it alone since those eggs are from a parasitic wasp and when those eggs hatch out the parasitic wasp will actually eat up that worm.

As as a side note,I know a local woman who is using Neem Oil b/c she says it helps to alleviate the pain of her Lyme disease. The problem being her college degree was in art history,she knows nothing about anything biological,despite the fact that her father was the dept Chairman of Archaeology at Harvard University.

The super major problem is that she's been diagnosed as a hypochondriac,with 4 MD's, 2 PA's and one CNA and 1NP, but she has a heart of gold,I think, so that's a positive and for many years we've agreed on the kinds of books we like to read and discuss.

Lastly, you have no idea whatsoever why for almost the 20 years that I've tried to explain to her that antibiotics can't cure viral diseases, and well,I'll shut up now.

Carolyn
Old March 29, 2018   #6
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Dr. C., Always enjoy reading what you have to say.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #7
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Spinosad also works for hornworms. Last year, I sprayed at the end of July and missed two plants. By mid-August those two were being eaten by hornworms, but they weren't anywhere else.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #8
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, one an all, for all your sage advice! You gave me lots to think about
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2018   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

BT works better and is much safer for the tomato plant. Thurcide and Dipel are 2 brands. Totally organic, and no potential to burn the plant with oil coating. Trouble with hornworms is if you see one, you know there are several smaller ones growing and eating. They only need to eat one BT bacterium, and they get an infection, stop eating right away, and die in a day.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote