Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 18, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default help with pine bark mulch!

the 'recipe' I use for my soil less mix calls for pine bark fines; I've looked high and low for these where I am at, and to no avail. They're either too small, or too big.

They're listed as 'orchid bark' on the internet but they're only available in small bags, and are really expensive, so that's not an option either.

I found cedar mulch that was the right size (about 3/8") so will this work as a substitute for the pine bark mulch?

It is available locally and is reasonable in price.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Yes, This will work well in containers. Something called microbark at many Home Depots is what I recommend - but anything of this size, as long as it is from coniferous trees will work.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #3
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

This what I use. Right now I can only find it at one walmart.

http://www.timberlineyard.com/pr_soil_conditioner.htm

If I had to I would use this. It's available at Lowes and walmarts and home depot and possibly at some other stores. Purple bag in the upper left.

http://www.timberlineyard.com/pr_mulches.htm
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #4
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Ray can you give a link to that stuff? I can't locate on the home depot site. It would be great to find an alternative.
Old April 18, 2014   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysan View Post
Ray can you give a link to that stuff? I can't locate on the home depot site. It would be great to find an alternative.
Here is the Home Depot link:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Earthgro-...2185/100355687

Not available in all stores....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2014   #6
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Seems to be the case.
Old April 18, 2014   #7
rockyonekc
Tomatovillian™

I find them called soil condtioner at the local nursery. Lowes and HD don't have anything worthwhile around here.

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk
rockyonekc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #8
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Ameruni, do you have access to a shredder? If so, it's very easy to make large quantities of reasonably fine bark fines by running a bag or two of the mulch (or even nuggets) through, into a bag or onto a tarp. I try to keep a barrel of these on hand for my potting mixes. Works great.

Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2014   #9
koshki
Tomatovillian™

Ameruni, where in Michigan are you? I am in the Detroit area and have found a suitable pine fines product at English Gardens. I used their soil conditioner the first year, but last year used another product from them (the name of which escapes me at the moment), but it was half the price of the soil conditioner, which was composted.

Anyway, short story long, my tomatoes have done well in both. I didn't get too hung up on the exact size...as long as it's not big chunks, and not fine ground, it worked for me.

I haven't been to EG lately, but I will check for the exact name next time I visit. (Maybe this gives me a reason to go tomorrow!)

For some reason, I remember that cedar is not a good replacement for pine.
Old April 26, 2014   #10
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default Lucked in.

I have searched high and low for Pine bark fines, without any success, strange when you consider our area is in the middle of the lumber business.
Today I called into a local nursery, just on the off chance they might have some, lucked in. The boss offered me a bale of the custom blend they use, it's good stuff. You should see the quality of their container grown tomatoes, first class.
The custom blend has 18% bark fines, plus, plus, shipped in believe it or not from New Brunswick, miles away from us.
So here's an idea, try your local nursery, rather than the big box stores, they really don't know what they're selling, just head office buying.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #11
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

For anyone in Northeast Ohio, Maria Gardens in North Royalton carries pine bark fines.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #12
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I could not find pine bark fines last year and ended up with hemlock mulch with promix. I'm leaving out the fines this year and going with the pro-mix, compost , and ferts and crossing my fingers.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #13
bigblue
Tomatovillian™

I had planned on using Pine Bark Mulch from the orange box to replace the pine bark fines (that I cannot locate). Can anyone advise as to if they think this would provide an acceptable solution? To big? I have attached a link. Thanks

Dave

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...3944/100350635
bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #14
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I would not use cedar mulch. You want bark not wood. Lowes has pine bark mulch. I tried to screen it once and found most of it was small anyway. The green bags of tree and shrub mix at Lowes are mostly pine bark fines but those were $7 plus for 2 cubic feet when I was using it.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #15
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Looking at the photo I don't like the look of it. Too much sap wood. That's the white streaks showing.
I am now very cautious with stuff from the HD. I bought seed mixture last year, nothing would grow in it. This year I bought peat moss, it was just dust, horrible stuff, won't buy from them again.
Might I suggest you try the local 'large' nursery, one who grows their own plants. I spoke with the local, he gets a custom blend from Nova Scotia, 18% Pine Bark, really nice looking stuff, for the same price as the HD.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote