Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old September 9, 2008   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default When is the optimum time to plant spring bulbs

I bought bags of crocus's dafs, tulips etc. I live in Long Island New York, When is the best time to plant them? I assume that Sept is too early?

Elliot
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2008   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Once the ground gets cold thats the best time to start planting bulbs, then they should be ok till spring

Richard
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2008   #3
Brightmeadow
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to suggest that you plant your Narcissus bulbs in September and make sure that you water them. They are one of the few bulbs that grow their roots early in the fall. If they are kept too dry, and their roots do not develop, they will not bloom the following spring.

Shirley
Brightmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2008   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Shirley I think you are some what right in saying that most winter bulbs are best planted earlier than later. If planted early (late summer)they should start growing a root system when they are ready to do so and then flower on time,but if planted later into winter they just don`t flower to the same quality come spring.
I know its not quite the same but thats a similar process i that i use in selecting my Garlic and walking onions,the first 30% or so that pop up the earliest in Autumn are then the only ones that i allocate to the next stage of the process of selection, but that a hole new thread in its self.

Richard
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote