Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old September 4, 2008   #1
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Gojiberries

I`ve got 18 one year old goji plants in pots that i grew from seed myself and i`m now wanting to plant out, are there any experenced Tomatovillians with this fruit out there who could help me with some advice?
I`m a bit unsure of how far apart to plant them and do they need pruning later on?

Richard
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2008   #2
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Hi Richard,
I have about 50 seedlings just out of the mix in the last week, so will be interested in what responses you get.

I have this site which I've been reading for my own reference.

http://www.gojiplantsaustralia.com.au/information.html
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2008   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Just had a look at that web site,unfortunately it doesn`t really go into spacings.
I`ve seen photos from China that shows people pushing there way through Gojis that appear to be overhanging each other,the ground can`t even be seen between,there was no pattern to how they were planted it actually looked as though they were wild Gojis.
I planted one row today, each 2 m apart, i think it shouldn`t matter too much about the spacing within the row its the adjoining row that i was curious about,i`m looking forward to seeing how this thread developes and what other people have experienced
When starting Gojis from seed, the one thing i have learnt so far is, read all about how you should grow them and do the opposite.
Old September 14, 2008   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

She`s lookin like just you and me mcsee with this thread,i did think about getting back to you with a email asking what you were are doing,but i thought other people may want to read what we are up to with the goji.

My first attempt was in buying seed from the US,planting into a sterile mix,then transplanting into pots and then using nutmeg around each to stop the stem root that that they prone to, i also read that its best to slowly introduce to sunlight, so i did >end result all dead.
Second attempt,i filled up pots with a soil/compost mix. made a small depression in the center then added a thin layer of vermiclite, a few seeds on top and then more vermiclite to cover.This was done outside in the middle of last summer and it was hot,the strike rate was great, i thined out to the strongest and all bar two made through winter and have now just planted out.
I plan to grow a 100 the same way again this season for myself.
Richard
Old September 14, 2008   #5
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Hi Richard,
I germinated my last lot of seed in a seed tray with propagation mix firmed down, then sprinkled the seed on top and covered. The end result was a great strike rate although some quite slower than others. Today I pricked out the seedlings at a very small size and planted in 2" tubes. I've ended up with 200 tubes which I'm hoping to hang onto long enough to get some size, then try and sell a few.

The bulk of these went into tubes today.

Old September 15, 2008   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

If you can find a wining formular you stick to it,looking forward to seeing how yours grow over the next few months.
Myself i think i will wait till early summer again before i start sowing more seed.
Old September 15, 2008   #7
matereater
Tomatovillian™

OK folks, what the heck is a Gojiberry ??

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2008   #8
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Mater - The Goji Berry grows in China and the Himalayas and is picked for the dry fruit/health food trade. They are a deciduous shrub and take two years to grow fruit, but by the fourth year are producing fully. They are an interesting plant and if you read just how good they can be for you, I'm sure you'd plant one just to try.

Here's some info on just how good they really are for you.

http://www.sydneymusicweb.com/goji_usa.htm
Old September 17, 2008   #9
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately there`s a lot of misrepresentation surrounding the marketing of the Gojiberry,Its not grown commercially in the Himalayas but only on a small scale and for local supply.Its in northern China that its grown on a vast scale for export.
The Himalayas are falsely used in the marketing of the Goji for its clean and green image,this is because of the stigma thats associated with other food products from China that seem to carry a lot of scepticism and probably rightfully so.
This is the reason why i`ve started playing around learning how to grow these plants.

There`s a growing demand here in NZ from the locavores.
Old September 17, 2008   #10
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately there`s a lot of misrepresentation surrounding the marketing of the Gojiberry,It is not grown commercially in the Himalayas but only on a small scale and for only local supply.Its in northern China that its grown on a vast scale for export.
The Himalayas are falsely used in the marketing of the Goji for its clean and green image,this is because of the stigma thats associated with other food products from China that seem to carry a lot of scepticism and probably rightfully so.
This is the reason why i`ve started playing around learning how to grow these plants.

There`s a growing demand here in NZ from the locavores.