Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 22, 2008   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Big winner.

Corno di Toro red and yellow (Italian bulls horn peppers from TGS) are a big hit in the garden this year.
Productivity is outstanding as well as the flavor.
I can’t go to the garden without finding these plants just loaded with brightly colored peppers of red and dark yellow that just beg to be picked.

These peppers are just great in a salad or stuffed and stand out from the rest fried in a little extra virgin olive oil.

Don’t miss out next year with these peppers they are a real winner in my garden and will always have a home at my place.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2008   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Save some seeds for me Worth.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2008   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
Save some seeds for me Worth.
robin,
These plants are next to some mystery hot peppers and knowing how easy it is for peppers to cross I will order them in bulk next---- yikes, this year and send you some.
OR you can take a chance and grow some from the seeds.
I have had several crosses in my time that came out pretty good.

Worth
Old September 22, 2008   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting on a pepper kick for some reason Worth. I had over 35 tomato plants this year which was ridiculous which was to much work for a hobby. I have a few pepper plants now that I'm really happy with. But again this year it is a waste of time growing Bell Peppers. I don't mind if there cross I just like growing stuff LOL.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2008   #5
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I like Corno Di Torro too. I grow the yellow (almost orange) ones. The taste is good and sweet, it has nice thick walls and the color is a nice variation in my salsa. So, I give it a definate thumbs up.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2008   #6
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Grow toro the last two years(I think TGS). Great pepper although I am not sure of the color since they are gone at the green ripe stage. This year I sprouted one that is bearing fruit between a pasilla and a toro(folded shoulders and mild but hot smelling, if that makes sense). Will try to save a few seed later this fall, if anyone is interested give me a hoot.

Vince
Old January 11, 2009   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default They have done well for me in Wyoming

I have grown all the Corno Di Toro peppers here in N. Wyoming for many years and they do very well for me. I use them in salsa as well. I grow large Maje & Burgess Giant Tomatillos and make in excess of 40 quarts of Salsa Verde each year and the Cornos work really well in that recipe. I also use them for a roasted peper and tomato soup. My hubby prefers Big Jim for Chili Rellenos.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #8
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

I love the NuMex Big Jims. Besides being scrumptious for rellenos, the're great in chili and soups.

I was going to grow Red or Gold Marconi for the first time this year. Think I should switch to Corno di Toro? For some strange reason I can't stand the taste of bell peppers.
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamwhereiwant2 View Post
I love the NuMex Big Jims. Besides being scrumptious for rellenos, the're great in chili and soups.

I was going to grow Red or Gold Marconi for the first time this year. Think I should switch to Corno di Toro? For some strange reason I can't stand the taste of bell peppers.
Try all four it wont hurt.

Worth
Old January 13, 2009   #10
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I also grow the Marconis and have had great success with them. They have a little more tang than the Corno's IMHO.

Because they are so long, and you get several colors, I cut them into long strips and vacuum seal them and freeze them to use in stir fry. It ads a lot of flavor as well as eye appeal. The plants themselves are good looking. Very stocky with the fruit held near the main stem which is a plus for me as we can get a lot of wind which is tough on heavily laden-pepper plants. I use rigid hog/stock panels that are 4 foot tall by 16 feet in length (may be a little longer) affixed to a T post on each end. I tie all my pepper plants to that. It also seems to encourage faster ripening because of the warmth of the panel I am guessing. I have also started planting my pepper plants just 6 inches apart as they do absolutely fine and being that close, they offer a lot of support to each other as well as reducing sun scald.
I must add however that we have no problems with fungus or problems associated with high humidity and lack of air-flow. I am technically living in "high desert" and our total average moisture (both frozen and not) is only 10 inches per annum. Planting that close together in humid locations may not offer enough air-flow and encourage disease/problems.
Old January 13, 2009   #11
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Brokenbar, that was great info. I've heard it said "it's not the heat, it's the humidity that gets you." I've been to Wyoming several times in the summer and I think they've got it wrong - hot is hot!
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2009   #12
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

It gets plenty gosh darnoodley hot here although it cools down at night. I was raised on a cattle ranch right in the corner where Arizona, California and Mexico meet. I KNOW about hot! I have seen it be hot when I was a kid at midnight, over 100. We actually have really good growing consitions here, we just need more growing days.
Old February 13, 2009   #13
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Now that I know Corno di Toro grows well around here, I'll give it a try. I don't think you are too far from me, Worth.

Fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote