Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 9, 2009   #1
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

Default How many peppers per bush?

How many peppers can I expect per bush? I am growing California 300. Our summer temps get about 75-80 and I plan to grow these in a greenhouse to make sure they get enough heat. Last year, I got one crappy fruit on 3 plants but, it was a bad summer last year. Just trying to figure out how many plants I'll need
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Are these in pots?

I put about 2/3 cup of TomatoTone in a 4 gallon pot, plus some dolomitic lime (to stave off BER) and also mix in about 10% compost in with some really good potting mix. Hard part is keeping it well-watered and when fruitset really kicks in, some additional liquid fertilizer as the watering really flushes the food out of the soil.

Years ago before I knew anything, I had a habenero pepper plant on a patio. I watered with miracle gro frequently and I got over 60 peppers off one plant in a 3-4 gallon pot.

In '07 when I used containers for my peppers I got 15-20 Carmen and Golden Marconi per plant, and about 35 Jimmy Nardellos per plant. If I'd kept feeding them, I would have gotten more.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

What Feldon reports for numbers is close to what I get on non bell varieties...I grow only a few bells as they just don't produce in the north anywhere near what the frying shaped peppers produce...
Trinity Red ( a russian variety Tania sent me several years back) is the only bell that does well here...and the plants break over from the weight, so at best maybe 12 good sized peppers from one bell...Golden Treasue , Alma Paprika, Alcalde etc. will produce 20-40 per plant, but they are smaller too...Golden Treasure being the exception, lots of thick, meaty, large peppers of great taste...
There are many non bell shapes that can be used the same way for fresh eating and cooking....And I know Craig grows beautiful bell pepper plants in NC...I just have had very few productive bells when all my other peppers are thriving...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Ah, I see that California Wonder 300 is a bell pepper. I have completely given up on bell peppers in Houston. Also, I do not eat peppers green -- I always prefer them ripe (there is no such thing as a ripe green pepper). I find that green peppers burn my stomach, so I wait for them to turn red/yellow/white/purple/etc.

The Italian frying types such as Carmen (F1 hybrid), Golden Marconi, Red Marconi, etc. have the same texture, sweet flavor, etc. as bells but are more elongated and come to a point, and are a bit smaller. The only real limitation is they won't "sit up straight" for stuffing purposes. I also grow Jimmy Nardello which is a much skinnier Italian frying type. I find they're great on the grill served with hamburgers, etc. They're great to snack on after they've been roasted and small enough for 1 person to eat.

If you want a stuffing pepper, perhaps Ancho (Poblano) which is usually bell shaped but has some heat to it, or perhaps a larger Pimiento variety would suit your needs? Pimientos do well here and I've seen some develop the shape of a mini bell.

Great advice, Jeanne especially variety selections.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old March 11, 2009   #5
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

Anyone have seeds they'd be willing to part with? My wife can only eat sweet peppers which is why I'm trying to grow bell peppers. Not looking for stuffers, just slicers for salads and fajitas. If someone has a good tasting sweet pepper that grows well in the north, I would love to take some seeds off of your hands, SASE.

Thanks
Old March 11, 2009   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Well, there are some varieties found on Canadian websites which are exceptionally early bells.

The sweet productive peppers I grow are Carmen and Golden Marconi.

Old March 11, 2009   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

For sweet peppers, my mainstays are always Spanish Spice (not hot) Big Early, and Giant Marconi. I believe they are all hybrids, available from various seed companies, I usually get mine from Tomato Growers Supply. All are very sweet when red, but do fine as greenies also.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
Anyone have seeds they'd be willing to part with? My wife can only eat sweet peppers which is why I'm trying to grow bell peppers. Not looking for stuffers, just slicers for salads and fajitas. If someone has a good tasting sweet pepper that grows well in the north, I would love to take some seeds off of your hands, SASE.

Thanks
I have 10 seeds of each: Sweet Peppers - Commercial seed from last year; I'm growing some this year, also. If you want them.
Chinese Giant, CornoDi Toro and Purple Beauty.

When I lived up North; I would start them 3 months before set out time to get fruits. The cold is harder on Pepper plants.

~* Robin; PM me if you want them.
Old March 11, 2009   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I think you had better be seeding whatever you choose quickly...Peppers can take a little longer than tomatoes to sprout and they grow a bit slower...I seed on Valentine's Day each year and my plants are good and sturdy for June plant out...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009   #10
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the offers and advice. I think I'll wait until next year, get seeds in time, and start in early Feb. What's another year when I can do it right from the start?