Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 10, 2009   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default Sick Jal's?

Noticed these leaves right before shutting the lights down last night. I immediately put the 2 peppers in sick bay so I could take pics this morning. These spots were on the older lower leaves. This is the underside of the leaf

This is the top of the leaf. Notice how it's pitted looking.

Full size shot of the plants. I can't say for sure they were like this a couple of days ago, but if so, I didn't notice anything. I did just repot them 2 days ago into these bigger cups.

So help me figure out if I should treat these with something or trash them. I have no experience with growing hot peppers, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old April 10, 2009   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the quick response!

Answering your questions, no I have not fertilized. I mix a potting mix with fertilizer already in it half and half with my seed starter mix when I pot up. These are very big so they probably do need an extra boost.

I got in there and really looked hard at the new growth. I do not see any sort of insect damage but I did see what appears to be a faint patch of the same thing going on with the new leaves. It was sort of a dried up area in the middle of the veins.

I have to head up to the store today anyway, so I will pick up some type of fertilizer to try. I have a tomato fertilizer here and some osmocote. I'll check those labels but may just go ahead and pick something up specifically for veggies that can be used in a watering can. I think I'll keep these guys isolated for a few days and treat all the Jal's and see what happens. If you have a specific fertilizer you like, feel free to share
Old April 11, 2009   #3
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I see in your picture that you have a ceramic stove top. Do you can? If so have you had any problems with your stove top? I’ve always used a gas stove in the past and did not even consider the possibility of having problems canning when I bought a new stove last year. I never if asked any questions when I picked the new stove, like I said I had no idea there could be complications.

Thanks

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Neva,
It is strongly advised not to can on the ceramic cooktops. I haven't canned in years, but did think about starting back up now that I have a little more free time. I have a regular stove in the garage I can use. It only has 2 burners that work, but 2 is plenty. Someone also told me that you can use a camp stove for canning. I don't see why you couldn't, so that might be something for you to think about?

I know people who do can on their ceramic cooktop, with the lightweight pressure canners. I personally would not risk it. When those things go, they are loud and are very expensive to replace.

For what it's worth, I hate this cooktop. I have to scrape it with a razor every time I use it. To me, it is 10x the work of a regular old electric stove. Maybe I should start canning on it I could get a replacement LoLoL
Old April 11, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

So I found some fertilizer that has the micronutrients in it. Believe it or not, it's a tomato fertilizer LoL
I mixed it up and poured some in a spritzy bottle. So last night, I watered with the fert water and then did a light misting with the spritz bottle. Everything looks much perkier today. I went ahead and removed the blecky leaves and will watch to see if any more leaves start acting up. If they do, then I'll go to plan B (when I figure out what that is)
Old April 17, 2009   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I was just getting ready to post something LoL

They really don't look any better and I've lost almost all the older leaves, but the new leaves still look fine. And I can see where new leaves are getting ready to push out on the lower areas..so I dont know what to think?
I ended up having all the Jals get it, 10 in all. They are isolated from all my other peppers and the others appear to be fine.
I've just been kind of ignoring the problem hoping it goes away I guess LoL They are ugly sticks with leaves only on the top but the top looks good. I don't know whether to leave them be or hit them with something else? I figured your answer was the right answer and that's why no one else chimed in
Old April 17, 2009   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

New growth looks good. Nice and shiny green. No twisting or curling. Plenty of it at the top and also where the bracts should be on the lower leaves I see new shoots starting to come out. Like pepper lollipops LoL