Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 9, 2016   #16
PA Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I think my mix was: One bag of black kow, one bag mushroom fertilizer, three bags of "manure and compost," one bag peat humus and 12 or so bags of garden soil.

I didn't use potting mix because it would've been too expensive.

Last edited by PA Wolf; June 9, 2016 at 03:48 PM.
PA Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #17
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

[Good ole Time Warner Cable lost my reply from yesterday. I'll try to remember it..]

Whew. No fresh manure. So your issue is quantity rather than quality. One, maybe two bags would have been plenty instead of five. Maybe the heavy rains have washed away some of the excess nutes loose in your stew. If your other plants are doing okay, then move the cowhorn to fresh mix in a pot and full speed ahead. Were you planning to plant anything else in that bed?
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #18
PA Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Moved it to a new pot, fingers crossed. Other plants are doing quite well, the rains slowed them down a little but are bouncing back nicely. Planted a sugar baby watermelon yesterday. That should be it for the bed this year. I will add some new soil (no manures) when the growing season is over and mix it well. Thanks for the insight!
PA Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #19
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

I agree about Black Cow, I don't trust it. I do however low rabbit manure and will use it in the garden whenever possible. It does not need to be composted.