Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 13, 2018   #1681
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
It's been warm here too, most of the snow is gone, expected to hit 60 F today before it goes back downhill. Single digits forecast for tonight, a more than 50 deg F swing.
taboule, the high pressure system that's bring you the warmth is so enormous, it's affecting us at the same time. It practically extends across the whole Atlantic ocean. We got close to 50 F yesterday afaik and higher by morning, right now it is 54 F and the 'heat wave' continues until tomorrow for us before the big drop.

We're getting some rain and high winds - gusts 80-100 kph or 50-60 mph more or less. This is the windiest January I can remember, it hardly lets up before we have another "wind warning", whether the system is warm or cold.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #1682
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
It's been warm here too, most of the snow is gone, expected to hit 60 F today before it goes back downhill. Single digits forecast for tonight, a more than 50 deg F swing.

It was bizarre looking out the back window and seeing still green lawn after weeks of looking at white snow. It was also depressing when I had to remind myself that it's only mid-January and that all that green will soon be covered in white stuff again.

Them temperature as already started it's downhill run...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #1683
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

minus 4 it was on the way to work this morning. we mighta reached 6 degrees.
but hey, at least it didn't snow.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #1684
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Second day in a row with over 30degC, sort of days where its easier to get things done once the sun gets lower

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #1685
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I feel like I'm the only person here who actually likes winter... lol.

Jumps up and down and says, "yes me too!" Just not the constant ups and downs we have been having.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #1686
bower
Tomatovillian™

Back to normal here with a dusting of snow on the ground this morning, and a 20 cm dump forecast for tomorrow. Virtually all the snow was gone by Sunday, and continued above zero all day. I was outdoors in my shirtsleeves and rubber boots. Shorter thaws can actually be deadlier for garlic and other overwinter things, when you get a pool of water on top of frozen ground that freezes again before it drains away. All my garlic drainage looks good this year, but there was standing water for half a day at least on some of my large veggie containers.

We broke the record high on Saturday, it was 11 C set 108 years ago, and we easily cracked that at 14.9 C.
OTOH, the western half of the island got heavy rain with the warmth, on top of heavy snow they had down. The flooding was bad and roads washed out etc.
Old January 15, 2018   #1687
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The other morning it was 32F the heater in my truck wouldn't warm up.
Them I realized my AC was on.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #1688
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The ice on the roads here keeps thawing a little on top in the daytime sun, and then refreezing at night, making it fantastically slick. It is hard to walk on, much less drive. My step dad got his 2wd truck stuck, then we got the 4wd truck stuck when trying to pull it out. There is another car i don't know in the ditch across the street as well. Highways and city streets are clear, but not out where i live.

My truck is a 2wd ford ranger. Light 2wd trucks are the absolute worst vehicles on snow and ice. My truck would get stuck on flat ground in wet grass when i got it. But I ordered all-terrain tires for the rear, which make a huge difference. My 500 or so pounds of ice in the back helps a lot, too. I have been to town every evening to see my grandma, and have not gotten stuck yet. Sometimes I don't make it up a hill on the first try, then have to back up and take another run at it, but so far, so good. We have several more days before the ice will melt.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #1689
bower
Tomatovillian™

Jeepers Cole, take care. Fingers crossed for your nightly travels...
I truly hate driving on ice. Thank goodness I can just avoid it most of the time being my own boss and working at home. Quite a few years ago I had an experience with black ice. The road looked bare. Two cars ahead of me, the first one slewed sideways and the second one plowed into it. I had lots of time to brake but... guess what, brakes didn't work, steering didn't work either. Luckily I wasn't going fast. I piled into the other two after a long slow glide without making a dent in either car. After that I had PTSD for years, every time I saw snow start to fall when I was driving I would start to shake like a leaf. It finally stopped thank goodness... but I have no desire to renew the experience.
FWIW, I have driven on ice in every kind of vehicle - front wheel drive (not bad), rear wheel drive (tricky!), 4 wheel drive and All wheel drive. 4wd was the best IMO. The car I share now is AWD. It will spin like a top if you brake on ice.

Last edited by bower; January 15, 2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add
Old January 15, 2018   #1690
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All of us Texans need to protect out pipes for the next 3 days at least.
I may not go to work tomorrow.

Worth
Old January 15, 2018   #1691
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The go work or not watch started here about an hour ago. It's getting cold quickly now that the front has passed.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #1692
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Still in the 60's here but that wont last.
I was supposed to work at Austin school district tomorrow but that aint gonna happen.

I can get in on my own but I wont, already have too many master keys for schools.

Worth
Old January 15, 2018   #1693
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The first winter storm-like conditions are here for us in north central Texas - it is raining with a mix freezing rain right now. The temperature is just above freezing, but dropping fast. It will soon turn to sleet, and then a dusting of snow - maybe an inch. The local schools have already been cancelled and my wife and son probably won't go to work tomorrow as the high temp is below freezing tomorrow. Our other son went to work an hour ago - he got there just fine, but coming home tomorrow at 8am might not be so easy?

It is better to be safe than sorry or worse. A lot of new and even seasoned drivers here have no clue as to how to drive on icy roads. I've had my share of driving on icy roads for this part of the country.

This winter weather event is nothing in comparison to countless others we have experienced here, and nothing like what you all up north experience every year. Yet, there will be some who will get hurt or lose their life here tonight.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #1694
bower
Tomatovillian™

We're having the same as served in Texas but the reverse order. Snow came down overnight, now ice pellets, and later it will turn to freezing rain. It was supposed to go all the way to rain and above zero temperatures but that forecast got revised overnight.

Snow followed by ice and rain is worst for shoveling, it gets so heavy. But ice followed by 'a dusting of snow' is deadly slippery! That's the same thing that took me to the ground last week.
Old January 16, 2018   #1695
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

stay safe all of you. we had the ice last week but not nearly as much as they had forecasted. Hallelujah! ice is so scary and nasty. I was shoveling for my contract on Saturday and there were sidewalks I skipped since the sidewalk was iced under the snow. I figured if I left the snow people would be more cautious about walking on them or would not even use their walk. maybe some of them don't even stay there in the Winter or ever use their walks anyways but the ice is horrid!