Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 13, 2020   #361
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Tswv is hitting me hard. I've been spraying every week with alternating insecticides plus have 12 yellow sticky traps that I have replaced for the second time. I've pulled at least 30 plants with about 20 plants left. Is it safe to use saved seed? I received some of Carolyn's last seed. I love Dikovinka and saved some of the first ripe tomato seeds. Inshir Rozovyi and Viva so far look okay but still green. I ordered and tried Slava this year and it seems to withstanding the onslaught. Mountain Magic didn't make it.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2020   #362
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've got a couple of more bells that need pulling due to TSWV after pulling one last week. I'm not worried about the tomatoes any more because most of them are pretty worn out and near the end unless I want to spend a lot of time and effort getting them back to making a few tomatoes. TSWV has not been too much of a problem with my tomatoes the past month because I have been spraying them regularly for spider mites and I think it has lessened the thrips infecting them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2020   #363
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

Every single tomato in our community garden is infected like this. It is on leaves as well as on stems. Is it tswv
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200920_153557.jpg (161.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 20200920_153606.jpg (269.1 KB, 192 views)
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2020   #364
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

Here some more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200923_154830.jpg (133.8 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20200923_154811.jpg (190.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20200923_154753.jpg (181.2 KB, 188 views)
Old September 23, 2020   #365
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It sure looks like TSWV. Are the new blooms dying or dead? Is the top new growth looking like it is burned around the edges of the leaves?

If all your plants have it then there is no need to pull the plants if they have some healthy looking tomatoes on them. Let them start to ripen and by then the plants will probably start dying or wilting from the top. If what you have is TSWV it is very rare for a plant to continue producing new fruit although I have had it happen to a few and they held on for months with very slow production and smaller fruit; but usually it is only a matter of a few weeks at most before the plant starts dying after showing the rust like appearance in the leaves.

Bill
Old September 24, 2020   #366
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the explanation. I had cut the top to prevent it from spreading but it did not work
Old September 26, 2020   #367
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilgan View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I had cut the top to prevent it from spreading but it did not work
Once the plant is infected there isn't anything that I have tried or anything that I have heard of that slows it down or stops it. I have tried both removing plants immediately upon spotting the disease and leaving them in place until they die or wilt totally. It doesn't seem to make any difference in whether or not I got more infections on clean plants even the ones right next to each other. It must not spread very easily other than through the thrips that infect the plants initially and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop them from doing so when they show up. TSWV cases seem to come in waves at different times with usually the heaviest infestation early in the season and with lighter cases popping up from time to time over the whole season but that could just be my experience with the disease and it also could be my location.

The only effective thing I have found that has so far assured me of a productive season despite the ravages of TSWV is to plant far more tomatoes and peppers than I need and just remove the sick ones when it strikes. It can leave some very gappy rows at times of heavy or frequent infections of TSWV and at other times I end up with way more tomatoes than we can deal with in seasons where TSWV is not as pervasive as usual down here.

Bill
Old October 23, 2020   #368
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

That may be one of the Tomato Mottle viruses. For practical purposes, they are similar in many ways to TSWV. The only cure is to remove infected plants. Some breeders have been working on mottle virus resistance but are having difficulty getting the gene from a wild species to cross over into a better genetic background.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #369
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Can whitefly be a vector? My back garden seems to be worse for tomato growing. I did have raspberry plants move from the other side of the fence and I let them take over a raised bed. It has been a whitefly battle. The raspberries are about 20 feet from my other raised beds. Seriously I am thinking of giving up tomatoes in the back and growing them just in the front. We have a good source of water and I grow tomatoes there on cattle panels.
Thanks,
Barb
Old February 4, 2021   #370
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Whiteflies are a vector for several other viruses such as TYLC so there is a good possibility they also transmit TSWV. It is most likely that other insects are the primary vector.
Old February 4, 2021   #371
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Can whitefly be a vector? My back garden seems to be worse for tomato growing. I did have raspberry plants move from the other side of the fence and I let them take over a raised bed. It has been a whitefly battle. The raspberries are about 20 feet from my other raised beds. Seriously I am thinking of giving up tomatoes in the back and growing them just in the front. We have a good source of water and I grow tomatoes there on cattle panels.
Thanks,
Barb
Had no idea white flies were a problem in Wyoming! Dang.

I would assume they can transmit various viruses. Thrips are also virus carriers.
Old February 4, 2021   #372
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Had no idea white flies were a problem in Wyoming! Dang.

I would assume they can transmit various viruses. Thrips are also virus carriers.
We have thrips and white flies both in Wyoming. My yellow sticky traps just get loaded with white flies. I did get thrips diagnosed from my friend who worked at the extension office. Pretty cool her computer screen could show me what was on my sticky trap. I have lots of land to spread out my plants. I bought a few grow bags to use on my patio but otherwise I'm giving up tomatoes near the raspberries. I wonder though. Is it safe to plant potatoes where I had disease issues on tomato plants?
Barb
Old February 4, 2021   #373
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No.

Potatoes get most of the same diseases.

I don't even grow potatoes, because all of my solanaceous rotation space is devoted to peppers and tomatoes.
Old February 5, 2021   #374
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Whiteflies are becoming a problem in just about every state north of the Gulf Coast up to about Kentucky. Any location with suitable hot weather can develop an infestation. The most effective measures to limit damage are to eliminate common hiding places and remove plants that are alternative hosts. Spraying can be effective in some circumstances, but there are always more whiteflies to re-colonize an area.

Some work at Waginengen was discussed here a few times over the last 10 years indicating resistance breeding is viable. It is worth a look at the original papers.

https://www.academia.edu/6874956/Res...wild_relatives

Look at the bottom center of the page for a button to read online or you can download the pdf.

Here are some alternate links I've used before.

http://edepot.wur.nl/215863

http://edepot.wur.nl/222200

Last edited by Fusion_power; February 5, 2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old February 5, 2021   #375
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

A friend in my area grew hydroponic greenhouse tomatoes for a time. After several years he quit mostly because it was a money losing effort. Besides the profit issue he had whitefly problems.

None of his outdoor tomatoes had whitefly infestations despite being a short distance away from the greenhouses. I live 30 miles north of his gardens and greenhouses and have never had a whitefly.

Is it because even though we have hot and humid summers (although not like the southeast) followed by cold winter months which kill off the whiteflies? Most of the nasty diseases and insect pests are not prevalent here like in the southern states. Maybe the problems are killed off by our winters before they become issues.

But then why would Wyoming have the problems we do not see?