Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 24, 2017   #46
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Seeds have all been sent out. Offer officially closed!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #47
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Fred. Spring is coming.
Old December 22, 2017   #48
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Here is more information on our first hybrid varieties to be released. It gives a little background on how we do things, and what we are breeding for these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
A couple of years ago you had requested feedback from folks here on whether they would consider buying hybrid seeds. I has indicated yes, and was just hoping to find out how things are going with that work. I'll check out the link. Thanks.
Old December 22, 2017   #49
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I grew Green Bee last year and it was still growing and producing all the way to frost. I really look forward to Madera and Bellota.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017   #50
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

How did it do disease resistance-wise, compared to other tomatoes you grow?
Old December 22, 2017   #51
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I had no disease problems with Green Bee, but I had no disease problems this year since changing out 90% of my growing soil. The spider mites and hornworms loved Green Bee just as much as all my other varieties.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #52
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I just pledged for the Madera project. Looking forward to it.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #53
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thank You!
Old May 18, 2018   #54
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Default Fuego Verde going strong!

Fred,

Here are a couple of pictures of a Fuego Verde from the seeds you sent me in the Fall. It's going strong with lots of fruit. I do have a couple of questions.

When they are ripe, will they turn a slightly amber color, like other GWRs?

Is there a black/purple tomato in it's parentage? It has a little bit of gray mold (not bad), and I've only had gray mold on my black/purples in the past. I'm just curious. A little bleach spray and then some fungicide stopped the mold in it's tracks for the time being.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fverd.jpg (406.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg fverd2.jpg (530.5 KB, 117 views)
wxcrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #55
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Here is more information on our first hybrid varieties to be released. It gives a little background on how we do things, and what we are breeding for these days.
Fred,

I just saw this post today and so [obviously] missed the pledge period - my bad. I am very supportive of your hybrid work and will look for other opportunities to get seeds for 2019.

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018   #56
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lee,

The do turn slightly amber at the surface. But slight softening is perhaps the best way to determine if they are ripe.

I don't think these have any recent black parentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
Fred,

When they are ripe, will they turn a slightly amber color, like other GWRs?

Is there a black/purple tomato in it's parentage? It has a little bit of gray mold (not bad), and I've only had gray mold on my black/purples in the past. I'm just curious. A little bleach spray and then some fungicide stopped the mold in it's tracks for the time being.

Lee
Old May 19, 2018   #57
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

rg,

With regards to our new hybrids (Green Bee, Madera and Bellota) -- We are doing a small commercial production of all of them this summer, in addition to a couple of others, and seed will be available in the fall.

Depending on how our hybrids trial this summer, some of them may be available through Johnny's Selected Seed next winter, and the three mentioned above will at least be available via our website.

Only Bellota is available now, but we do have some packets available via our "Artisan Seeds" website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Fred,

I just saw this post today and so [obviously] missed the pledge period - my bad. I am very supportive of your hybrid work and will look for other opportunities to get seeds for 2019.

rg
Old May 19, 2018   #58
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Fred, I did get seeds for Fuego Verde and Cherry Roma, and they are still over there,said Carolyn pointing to her right,and I got a bonus one as well,I don't know where that is.

BUT Rob,who has germinated my seeds and raised my seedlings for me, got married about two months ago,new wife is Anastatia from Siberia, but has been here in the US for 7 years and is a naturalized US citizen,she divorced her DH in Siberia, and while Rob said he could do some varieties for me he never appeared.

Now what that meant was my getting on the phone and trying to find what are called tomato PLANTS.

I did find some locally, Bonnie plants, 6 X 2 =12 of them @$4/plant. Freda picked them up yesterday, great looking plants but they won't go out until early June.

This is the FIRST time in about 40 years that wherever I lived/worked I haven't had Plants out. I knew all the ones I ordered just nothing new.

So who is at fault here?

Very obviously Rob who got married,now preparing a new farm for him and Anastatia. Rob is a registered Tville member posted some beautiful pictures of tomatoes,yes,ones that I gave him seeds for.But he hasn't been back to Tville in many years.

So in that envelope,over there>>>>>>>>are I can't tell you how many packs of seeds and I really wanted to have Anastatia translate that one commercial pack which is all in Russian for me. That envelope of seeds will just have to wait until next year.

I'll get over this humiliation of having to BUY PLANTS ,I will,but it won't be easy.

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2018   #59
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Can you take a picture of your commercial seed pack with your cell phone and post it here? I'm sure that some of our Tville members (but not me) can translate for you.

Option B- Look for a website on the seed pack. Use Chrome, or some other modern browser, to open it. It will ask you if you want the page translated, and generally does a very good job at it. The web page might already have an English translation- look for a US or British flag icon and click it.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #60
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_OW View Post
Carolyn,

Can you take a picture of your commercial seed pack with your cell phone and post it here? I'm sure that some of our Tville members (but not me) can translate for you.

Option B- Look for a website on the seed pack. Use Chrome, or some other modern browser, to open it. It will ask you if you want the page translated, and generally does a very good job at it. The web page might already have an English translation- look for a US or British flag icon and click it.

Jim
Jim,that seed pack in Russian language is not a big problem at all since it's one of many commercial packs that Clara and I got from that wonderful place in Estonia many years ago.I made my choices based on pictures and I can read some Estonian since it's close to Russian and I can read some Russian.

But I couldn't order,Clara had to do that,they were sent to her in Germany,she took out however many seeds she wanted,then sent the rest tome So we both ended up with lots of new varieties.

And all of them are listed in my data book. I could look up which ones,but I'm not going to do that.

Clara taught many languages and Russian was one of them and Estonian is close to Russian and she already translated the name of it with a yellow sticky and the name is

Rajskoe Naslazhdenie.

I just thought it would be interesting for Rob's new wife, Anastasia, to be able to translate from Russian to English,which she can do.Yes, Anastatia is from Siberia,but not the Siberia that Stalin and Kruchev (spelling?) knew where folks were sent to the labor camps to dig for coal.

Siberia is now known for the natural gas that's there and they have huge pipe lines taller than the men who are constantly checking them for any leaks, and those pipelines deliver that natural gas to a good part of Europe.

Yes, Siberia is very cold, not much snow at all and all new towns and villages have been built and they lack for nothing in terms of food,clothes,toys for the kids,warm homes and so much more, since a railway was built allowing for delivery of fresh fruits and vegetables, and so much more.

As an incentive for Russians to move there they are paying very high wages,also for medical and dental care as well.

I haven't yet met Anastatia, I'm looking forward to that but one of my very best friends has always gone by the name of Google.

Carolyn