Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 29, 2016   #16
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

That's a great story, thanks for sharing. You can't go wrong with learning to cook from a French cook! I've always heard that Texas, especially Central Texas storied tradition of great barbecue dates back to the German immigrants in the 1800s. Whomever gets the credit, I think it is unique and delicious and it's own style as much as any of the other cue styles out there, K.C., S.C. , etc.

On fathers day, we had my brisket, jalapenos and slice salted/peppered tomatoes (along with a host of other delicious dishes as my wife is a gifted cook) and I was in heaven.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I haven't lit the BBQ up in forever since last winter.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I was at my butchers yesterday loading up for my next smoking experiment.I spoke to the "guy"that does all the smoking for the produce stands converted La France firetruck that they use.He sold me some "pumps".These are what he called commodity turkey breasts that are injected(recommendation from a member MFsmells on another thread).We were buying some expensive Bell Evans breasts and the guy recommended these "pumps"The produce store(Normans Bros here in Miami)sells up to 1000 lbs of smoked everything on the weekends in their converted firetruck.
Old July 15, 2016   #19
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

worth -- how about sharing your mom's bbq sauce recipe???
nniemiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nniemiec View Post
worth -- how about sharing your mom's bbq sauce recipe???
It has been a while since I made it and I have no measurements or idea what I put in it if that makes since.

It is almost watery thin and has simmered onion and lemon slices in it.
There is a stuff they have on the table at BBQ places here like Meyers that is a lot like it.

It is ketchup Worcestershire sauce mustard dark cider vinegar lemon juice sugar paprika hot red pepper powder black pepper tomato sauce water A 1 sauce sliced lemons sliced onions whole garlic, salt.
In proportions you like and put in a kettle and simmered.
I used to like the cooked lemons rind and all.

She would then mop this thin stuff on the food every now and then as it was cooking.

The stuff is not thick at all.

My mom read a lot of cook books and I am sure it was something she pulled from one of them and did some tinkering with it like I do.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote