Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old August 1, 2016   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When I was a mason/bricklayer, we would eat lunch at truck stops and whatever café was closest to the job. One of my favorite things to eat was chicken fried steak smothered in cream gravy that I always added black pepper to. However, most of those eating joints served instant mashed potatoes. I do not like instant mashed potatoes, so I would order French fries instead. French fries and gravy is good.

I have also dunked them in mustard, A1, tarter sauce, and co..tail sauce too. I don't think I've tried them in mayo yet.

I got Jan to read the link I first posted in this thread, and she really wants to try it out. SHE is interested in cooking...cool. So it'll be Thursday (Her day off) before we try cooking them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I made a duplicate post somehow.

Salt you have to try fries with mayo all of those folks across the pond cant be wrong I dont even have a bottle of ketchup in the house.

Last edited by Worth1; August 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #18
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Salt: 1/2 mashed, 1/2 french fried.

Cut em about 1 cm x 1 cm, rinse to remove some of the starch, put 'em into preheated canola or vegetable or your oil of choice (med heat), give em about 8 mins or thereabouts, take 'em out, set them aside to rest, put in another batch.
When you remove the 2nd batch increase the heat and put in the 1st well rested batch. As crispy as you wish at this point.

Double frying gives you a really nice outer crisp.

Russet potatoes start to crumble, those imperfect ones end up being the best ones
Red ones are tough and get brown, but the inside is perfect.
Yukon G, they make great fries too

Hope the grandkids enjoy the homemade ones.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote