Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old December 29, 2016   #1
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Quick and easy

Anyone have a good recipe that's easy to make and tasty? I do almost all of cooking and draw a blank sometimes . I guess I'm lazy too.. Still have forty or so qts of maters I could use. Dinner time seems like my energy level is at its lowest.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

What do you have to work with, besides the tomatoes?
Old December 29, 2016   #3
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
What do you have to work with, besides the tomatoes?
At the moment burger and frozen chicken breasts. Brandywine seems good in everything. Tried German Striped in beans thought it tasted weird. Have lot of pbtd. Goin to store this morning so could pick up ingredients. jimbo
Old December 30, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

emergency dinner:

oven at 400

place individual raw frozen boneless chicken breasts side by side on parchment or foil on a cookie sheet. spoon premade pasta sauce (homemade if you have it, canned if you don`t), top with sliced provalone or mozza and bake for about 45 min.

sounds gross, it`s not serve with pasta and or salad.

great lazy day dinner.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #5
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks KarenO, I'll make it tonite and it sounds delicious to me! .lol. Jimbo
Old December 30, 2016   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Our favorite 'quick-n-easy' is a Spanish/Dominican dish. Based on AdoboChicken. The original recipe was way too salty so we've adopted a tasty version...more garlic and hot peppers for flavor.
8-12 bone-in skinless chicken thighs. Enough for a single layer packed tight in a stove-top low sided heavy bottomed pot w/lid. We use an enameled cast iron.

Quick in effort but takes some patience. The chicken thighs need to marinade over night, or 4-6 hours, in a gallon zip-lock in a mix of 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, cup of water and any spice you want. Garlic, ginger, cumin, dried chilies, homemade hot sauce or a favorite, etc. (that is for 12 thighs)

Place in stock pot on a pinch/splash of oil meaty side down and cover with two big sliced and diced onions, chopped tomato or two or some tom sauce. Any other veg on hand is fine like celery or fresh hot and sweet peppers. (we use what we have) but the onion is key.

NO added water or moisture. On low heat and covered, braise for one hour...moisture from chicken and onions will make a super braising sauce.

pre-heat oven to 350 and place chicken on a cookie sheet meat side up for 1/2 hour while sauce reduces. Sauce on the chicken forms a nice glaze crust.
I use a stick blender in the sauce for 30 sec to thicken it a bit.

Super served with beans and rice, usually two each if they are on the small side. We make 12 as the leftovers are great for lunch. Then another meal heated in the oven topped with bbq sauce or whatever sauce....sliced lemons, a veg.

We make it so often in our rotation of favorites it is easy, but may not seem so now that i wrote it out. We like meals that keep on giving for the early work week. Minimal clean-up.
We have made it without the overnight marinade and really just as good but different flavor profile. More spice with the onions, even a bit of curry.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #7
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Sounds really tasty Oakley. Probably is easier if you've made it often. Lol. Jimbo
Old January 2, 2017   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

For a quick, easy, tomato based meal I sometimes make Roman Style chicken which is a Food Network Recipe by Giada De Laurentis. Use fresh tomatoes in place of the canned if you have them.

• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pound to tenderize
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
  • Fresh parsley for garnish
Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and cook until the peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, broth, thyme and oregano. Return the chicken to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
If serving immediately, add the parsley. Stir to combine and serve.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My quick and easy tomato recipe is a Caprese salad with a good loaf of bread, or cube and toss the bread into the salad for a panzanella -- no cooking necessary.

In a large bowl mix together tomatoes cut into chunks with minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt (all to taste). Drizzle with a healthy amount of extra virgin olive oil and toss well.

While the tomatoes and seasonings "marinate," cut or tear fresh mozzarella into small bite-size pieces and slice up large basil leaves--your call on what you want for a tomato/basil/mozzarella ratio.

Add mozzarella and basil to bowl with tomatoes and mix well. Taste and add more salt if needed, then serve with slices of bread to sop up the juices.

If going for panzanella, add a bit more oil at the beginning, then cut the bread into small cubes and toss with the salad at the same time you add the cheese and basil. If you add it too early, it soaks up all the EVOO. By adding it later, it soaks up the tomato juices combined with the EVOO.

This, with a glass (or two) of red wine is my all time favorite summer dinner.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Oops, just realized you're looking to use up "quarts" so save my recipe for next season!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You can look at the pork Marsala thing I did in the wine cooking section.
It was the bomb I dare say I have never had NON fresh tomatoes better in my life.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote