Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 16, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts

I'm looking for a fairly simple vinegar based, no mayo dressing for Cole slaw. It's okay if it needs to be cooked. I'm just looking for a straightforward tangy dressing I can make in a small batch for my family or bump up to a big batch for a party. Thank you.
Old May 18, 2007   #2
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Wasn't sure if you were looking for a cold or hot slaw dressing, so I'm posting one of each. The second one seems to be like the one our family enjoyed when I was growing up though I think my mom added chopped onions....

Sweet and Sour Slaw

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
8 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped pimento pepper

In a jar with lid, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, salt, mustard seed and celery seed. Cover tightly and shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved. Chill dressing for several hours or overnight.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, celery, green peppers, pimento and dressing until evenly coated. Cover and chill until serving.

W.K.K. HOT BACON DRESSING

Makes about 1 cup dressing for slaw, spinach, etc. Use 1 large or 2 small cabbages, grated as desired for slaw. 1/2 c. cider vinegar 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar 2 tbsp. water 1/4 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. pepperNOTE: Dressing can be made ahead of time and heated to boiling, at the last minute, prior to serving.

Cut bacon into small pieces, place into skillet over medium heat; fry until crispy. Remove bacon bits from grease with slotted spoon onto paper towel to drain. Pour grease into Pyrex measuring container and set aside. In same skillet, over medium heat, pour 1/2 cup vinegar. Add water, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Continue stirring while slowly adding 3/4 cup reserved bacon grease. Cook until mixture boils slightly. Remove from heat and immediately pour over salad/slaw fixings. Toss salad to mix. Sprinkle bacon bits over top of salad. Serve right away.

The 3/4 cup of reserved bacon grease seems excessive to me. May want to try a smaller amount at first.

Last edited by Woodenzoo; May 18, 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: To add note about bacon grease
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yum! They both sound great! The first recipe is what I had in mind and seems perfect. The bacon one sounds great and I want to try it, too! THANKS!
Old May 18, 2007   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I know, no mayo, but this is good.

Grated cabbage
small amount of grated onion
grated carrot for color
Hellman's mayo
vinegar and fresh lemon juice to taste
and some sugar to offset the acid
salt and pepper

It gets better after marrying-up for a day
Old May 18, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Anything that combines vinegar and sugar tastes good to me, even if it does have mayo.
Old May 25, 2007   #6
geol
Tomatovillian™

Michele,
For a no mayo slaw- try dressing with lime juice/dijon mustard/olive oil, salt and pepper to taste (can add a pinch of sugar if too tangy) Are you anywhere near the Pungo farmers market?
I used to live out on Indian River Rd.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip, geol! I like the olive oil idea.

I'm in Chick's Beach, so the very opposite side of the city from Pungo. Any further north and I'd be in the Chesapeake Bay.
Old May 25, 2007   #8
geol
Tomatovillian™

I like to go easy on the oil, and heavier with the fresh lime juice to keep it nice and light. I never had any exact measures for this one, but always considered celery seed a must in any slaw recipe.
Chick’s Beach is very nice. I worked nearby in construction on the bay bridge tunnel. I’ve had many a cup of coffee watching the sunrise from the first island - hope to move back one day.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Default Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts

Any good recipes for broccoli raab ? I have not found much of interest on the net or in my cookbooks...I have a bumper crop and need to start incorporating it into dinners...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #10
johno
Tomatovillian™

I like them 'wilted' in a pan of butter, olive oil, or bacon grease. A little garlic or onion mixed in is nice...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeanne-One of my favorites-I think Bill has some recipes on the seeds from italy website. here is one:

Orecchiette e Cima di Rape. This is a classic from Puglia in the south of Italy. Cook about 1 lb cima di rape in slightly salted water. When almost done, remove & cool under running water, then drain in a colander. Save the water to cook your orecchiette until @ ¾ done. Drain. Mince a clove of garlic & sauté briefly in 2 T or so olive oil. Roughly cut up 2-3 anchovies add them along with a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook for a few minutes more. Chop the cima di rape and add it to the pan, mixing it well. Add the drained pasta & a little bit of the water. Cook until most of the water is evaporated. Revove from the head, add some grated cheese and serve. If you do not have cima di rape (perhaps because it is the middle of August), use chard or kale or the side shoots from our Calabria broccoli. Still mighty good.

you can look to see if he has any others
Old June 14, 2007   #12
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Thanks both of you...The pasta recipe sounds best for my kids, and I even have good quality anchovies in the cupboard for a change...
This cool weather is conducive to cooking , so I shall start harvesting a few heads of the stuff...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2007   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

That must have been a nice sight each morning, geol. That's my neighborhood right there at the foot of the bridge, so I'm sure you've passed my house many times.

I'm going to choose one of these slaw recipes this week to go with some pulled pork barbecue for Fourth of July. Have a great holiday, everyone!
Old July 10, 2007   #14
felpec
Tomatovillian™

I made the sweet and sour slaw to go with the ribs we smoked over the weekend. As usual, I tweaked it to suit our tastes, but it was delicious. Thanks, Woodenzoo, for the basic recipe! Five stars on the "hey, honey, can you make that again?" meter.

Did grated carrot and onion instead of pepper. I added a small spoonful of mayo, a dash of celery salt and a squirt of Dijon mustard to give the dressing some stick-to-it-ness. I don't like mayonnaise (or any mayonnaise-like objects, but I can handle a LITTLE bit), so this was a great compromise between my DH (dedicated mayo-man) and me.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008   #15
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Brussel Sprouts

I tried them oven roasted last night for the time and they were wonderful. Tossed them with some olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Baked them at 400 for 40 minutes. Absolutely delicious
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote