Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 7, 2012   #31
mr_gentleman
Tomatovillian™

That does sound good! I'll have to give Kohl-slaw a try this year since I am growing some kohlrabi myself Interesting idea with the mashed potatoes...It kind of sounds like a mix between coleslaw and potato salad.
mr_gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2012   #32
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Lemon Aioli, Roasted Beets, Asparagus & Oven Fries
Eve Fox
May 27, 2011

The first time I tried to make aioli (a.k.a. garlic mayonnaise), a couple of years ago, the mixture never thickened. I was left with a big, messy bowl of soupy, garlic-flavored egg yolk and oil and a heavy feeling of failure. But that earlier defeat only heightened my sense of triumph at creating a truly delicious, perfectly balanced, lemon aioli last weekend!
I had always suspected that my first attempt failed because I had not drizzled the oil in slowly enough to allow for the emulsion to form properly so this time I made sure to pour the oil into the food processor in a tiny, steady stream. Et voilà, a mere three minutes later — a lovely bowl of golden deliciousness.
I had planned to roast some beets and potatoes to dip in this dangerously addictive sauce and decided at the last minute to steam some asparagus, too, since the local offerings have been so tasty these last few weeks — my little way of tipping my hat to spring.

The combination of the sweet, earthy beets, crispy, salty potatoes and the fresh umami (which is Japanese for “pleasant savory taste”) of the asparagus with the lemon aioli is, well, awesome.

While none of these components is particularly time-consuming or challenging to assemble, there is a fair amount of slicing and dicing involved, as well as some roasting time. But you could easily just do one or two of the veggies with the aioli if you’re in a rush.
Happy spring!
Next: The recipe
Lemon Aioli With Roasted Beets, Perfect Oven Fries & Steamed Asparagus
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
2-3 large beets, scrubbed, tops and tails removed
3 large or 4 medium potatoes, preferably russets, scrubbed
1 bunch asparagus, washed and with woody ends snapped off
For the aioli:
1 lemon (preferably, organic, since you’ll be using the zest — also, if you have a Meyer lemon on hand, use that, it will be delicious!)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup good quality olive oil (use organic)
2 large egg yolks (use organic, free range eggs)
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut into rough chunks
Sea salt to taste (you’ll probably want to use around 1/2 tsp)
Freshly ground white or black pepper to taste

Directions
1. Begin by roasting the beets. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the scrubbed, trimmed beets in a generous pouch of tinfoil, drizzle them with olive oil and fold the foil over them to form a neat, enclosed little package. Place the package on a baking sheet (preferably one you do not care overmuch about as it may end up getting some charred beet juice baked on to it — another reason not to skimp with the tinfoil — I actually used two layers this time around), place it on the rack and bake for 40-60 minutes, until the beets are tender when poked with a fork. When they’re done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool, then slip the skins off with your fingers or a knife and slice them into rounds (or whatever shape appeals to you.)

2. Once the beets are in the oven, it’s time to turn your attention to the oven fries. Follow this recipe — it’s from “Cook’s Illustrated” and it never fails to produce the most perfect oven fries you could imagine.

3. Now it’s time to make the aioli. Zest the lemon and then juice it, placing both the zest and juice in the bowl of a food processor.

Toss the garlic cloves, mustard and egg yolks into the bowl of the food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, begin to pour in the oil in a steady, thin stream — resist the temptation to pour it in quickly — the slow, steady addition is essential to allowing the emulsion to form. Continue to pour until all the oil has been added. You should see the mixture “gel” and become mayo-like during the process. Add white pepper and salt to taste and pulse a few times to incorporate the seasonings. Remove the aioli from the bowl, place it in a glass container with an airtight lid and put it in the fridge while you get the rest of the meal ready.

* Please note that since aioli contains raw egg, you should not feed it to infants, the elderly or anyone with a compromised immune system due to the risk of salmonella. Also, you should keep it refrigerated and plan to use it up quickly.
4. Place an inch or two of water in the bottom of a steamer pot and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus (heads up) to the pot and steam for 2-3 minutes, just until bright green and slightly tender. While they’re steaming, prepare a bowl of ice water that is large enough to hold all the asparagus. Once the asparagus are done, remove them from the steamer and plunge them into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Then drain and gently pat dry with a kitchen towel.

5. Arrange the oven fries, beet slices and asparagus spears on a platter and serve with the lemon aioli.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/lem...#ixzz1pVCRNLbM
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #33
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

these recipes are just making me much too hungry especially all the mid eastern ones from zana
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #34
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Stonysoilseeds. I wasn't sure that anybody else was into Middle Eastern Cooking. I have a ton of family recipes that I could post from there. Plus about 25 to 30 cookbooks I could pull other regional / ethnic Middle Eastern recipes from.....and then there's the rest of my hard copy cookbook collection - which numbers in excess of 600 cookbooks. (Just packed most of them....have to finish them later tonight....lol)

Zana
Old March 25, 2012   #35
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

ty zana i love mid eastern cookery i ve been exposed to it alot of my life my granparents and mom were from turkey and i am always looking for new recipes especially loved your garbanzo recipes as this year i am growing a black garbanzo called kabul if you would like some seeds for it id be lglad to send you some .... hope you continue posting more recipes i justt love them i will have to post a few of my family recpes soon .... thanks
Old March 25, 2012   #36
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Wow....the Kabul sounds great.

My Dad's Dad was born in Turkey and Dad's Mom was born in Egypt - both Armenian. I have and had relatives living all over the Middle East at different times....still have a few there, but most still living have gotten out....or we've lost contact with them. Being Armenian in some countries is not a safe way to live.

I have allot of Turkish recipes - different from Armenian ones, if you're interested. Anything in particular you're looking for? Type of dish or particular veggie or meat?

I look forward to reading your recipes too when you get around to posting them.
Old March 25, 2012   #37
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

ty zana i love both turkish and armenian recipes and would really love any you would share with me.. i will post some of my family favotites too my grandfather was raised in aleppo and my moms mom was mostlt from izmir turkey where my mom was born i especially love the vegetarian recipes but thet all are of interst to me.. i love stuffing veetables and grape leaves also pm me your address and i will be glad to get you some black kabul seed if you are intersted it is supposed to be able to tolerate colder soils it would be intersting to prepare some black hummus from them lol
Old March 26, 2012   #38
Zana
Tomatovillian™

One of my roommates in first year undergrad was from Izmir. Great Lady. Great city too.

Will post more recipes soon.
Old April 1, 2012   #39
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Beet Rice and Goat Cheese Burgers

Recipe By :Martha Rose Shulman
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : LowCal (Less than 300 cals) LowerCarbs
Veggie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups cooked brown rice -- or white rice
1 cup finely diced roasted beets -- or grated
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs -- like a mixture of parsley and dill
1 can white beans -- (15 ounce) (1 can) drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 egg
2 ounces goat cheese -- crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil -- or canola oil, as needed

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the rice, beets and herbs in a large bowl.

2. Puree the beans with the lemon juice and egg in a food processor fitted with the steel blade or with a fork. Scrape into the bowl with the rice and beets. Add the goat cheese, salt and pepper, and mix the ingredients together.

3. Moisten your hands and form 6 patties.

4. Working in batches, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil at a time in a heavy ovenproof skillet and brown the patties on one side for 2 minutes. Turn over onto the other side and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve with or without buns, ketchup and the works.

Yield: 6 burgers.

Advance preparation:
You can make these up to 3 days ahead, either through Step 3 or 4, and keep in the refrigerator. They can also be cooked ahead and reheated in a low oven or in a pan on top of the stove.

Nutritional information per serving (6 servings): 227 calories (39% fat);
10 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 41 milligrams cholesterol; 29 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 238 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 10 grams protein

For some reason these pink burgers tasted better to me after they’d sat for a day in the refrigerator. So make them ahead for quick meals through the week and reheat in a medium oven or a frying pan.

March 27, 2012

Source:
"Recipes for Health, New York Times, March 27, 2012"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi): "March 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 293 Calories; 10g Fat (29.0% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 45mg Cholesterol; 73mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat;
1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.
Old April 1, 2012   #40
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Halibut Wrapped in Turnip Leaves

- 4.1g Carbs, 0.3g Fiber, 0.8g Sugar

A white wine and mustard sauce add delicate flavors to halibut wrapped in turnip leaves.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Difficulty: INTERMEDIATE
Servings: 6

1/3 cup shallots, chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lb raw halibut fillets, cut into 6 pieces
1 cup low fat chicken broth
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 cup fresh cubed turnips, peeled
1/3 cup white wine (dry)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
12 turnip leaves, large
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 medium lemons, sliced (optional)

1. Mix shallots and garlic. Rub 1 teaspoon into each fillet. Seal in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

2. In a small pan, add remaining shallot mixture, broth, clam juice, turnips, and wine to a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium high.

3. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture is reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 10 minutes.

4. Add mustard and cornstarch and bring to boil again. Reduce heat and cook until thick, about 1 minute.

5. Remove from heat, cover to keep warm.

6. In large saute pan, add 1/2" water and bring to boil. Layer turnip leaves in pan. Steam leaves, covered for 30 seconds or until wilted.
Run leaves under cool water and dry well. Remove and discard stems.

7. Rinse and pat dry fillets. Season both sides with salt and pepper.

8. On work surface, place 1 fillet in the middle of 2 turnip leaves.
Wrap leaves around fillet to form a package. Continue process until all fillets are wrapped.

9. In large saute pan, place wrapped fillets, seam side down, in 1/2" water. Bring to boil, cover, and steam until fish is done, about 7 minutes.

10. Remove packages, top with sauce and garnish with lemon wedges.
Serve.

Additional Information - -
Be sure not to overcook the fish. It should be moist and flaky.

Servings: 6
Nutrition per Serving:
293.4 Calories, 5.8g Total Fat, 0.8g Saturated Fat, 5g Unsaturated Fat,
4.1g Total Carbs, 0.3g Dietary Fiber, 0.8g Sugars, 659.3mg Potassium,
49.4g Protein, 398.8mg Sodium

Dietary Exchanges: 1/4 Fat, 1/2 Vegetable, 7 Very Lean Meat
Old April 1, 2012   #41
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Curried Lentil Rice and Carrot Burgers

Recipe By :Martha Rose Shulman
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : LowCal (Less than 300 cals) LowerCarbs
LowFat (Less than 30%)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons peanut oil -- or canola oil
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced carrots
6 ounces mushrooms -- sliced or finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin seeds -- lightly toasted and ground
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 Pinch cayenne -- (or to taste)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils -- drained
1 egg

• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat in a heavy ovenproof skillet and add the onion and carrot.
• Cook, stirring often, until just about tender, about 3 minutes, and add the mushrooms, ginger, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, mustard seeds and cayenne and a pinch of salt.
• Cook for another 3 minutes or so, until the vegetables are tender and fragrant and the spices aromatic.
• Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
• Add the rice.

• Puree the lentils with the egg and add to the vegetable and rice mixture.
• Stir together, season with salt and pepper, and shape into 6 patties.

• Heat the ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
• Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and, working in batches if necessary, cook the patties for 2 minutes on one side, or until nicely browned.
• Carefully turn the patties over and place in the oven.
• Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until the patties are lightly browned and don’t fall apart.
• Remove from the heat and serve, with or without buns, chutney or ketchup and the works.

Yield: 6 burgers.

Advance preparation:
These can be put together and shaped up to 3 days before browning.
They can also be cooked ahead and reheated in a low oven or in a pan on top of the stove.
Keep them well wrapped in the refrigerator.

Nutritional information per serving (6 servings):
208 calories (26% fat); 6 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 2 g polyunsaturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat; 31 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 8 g dietary fiber; 33 mg sodium (does not include salt to taste); 11 grams protein

I love the Indian spices in these burgers. The turmeric offers bonus antioxidant health benefits, but even without it, they’re in abundance in this recipe, with all the carrots and ginger.

Source:
"Recipes for Health, New York Times, March 28, 2012"
S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
"March 2012"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 210 Calories; 6g Fat (26.6%
calories from fat); 10g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 35mg
Cholesterol; 24mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat;
1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Old May 13, 2012   #42
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Balsamic Baked Beets with Red Onions and Hazelnuts

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Servings: SERVES 6 - 8

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon Sue Bee Honey
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
6 medium beets
1 red onion
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
finely ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Directions
Wrap the beets in a large piece of aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees F for 45-50 minutes, until just tender.
When cool enough to handle, peel and slice thinly.
In a small jar, shake together the vinegar, olive oil, and honey.
Pouring over the beets and onions.
Season with salt and pepper.
The beets can be eaten warm or marinate in the refrigerator several hours or overnight.
Just before serving, stir in nuts and parsley.
Old May 19, 2012   #43
Zana
Tomatovillian™

SALT ROASTED BEET CARPACCIO

1 tsp minced shallot or onion
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
2 cups baby arugula
Vegetable oil
2 tbs olive or vegetable oil
1/2 cup goat cheese
3 pound box salt
4 beets, trimmed
1/4 cup sour cream
Pepper
4 sage leaves
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Put a 1/4" layer of salt in the bottom of a baking dish.
Place the beets on top of the salt, making sure they are not touching each other. Cover the beets with the remaining salt.
Bake until tender, 1 hour 15 min.
Remove the beets from the salt and let cool to room temp.

DRESSING---
Puree goat cheese, sour cream, oil, vinegar and shallot in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate.
Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering.
Add the sage leaves and fry until crisp, 10 seconds.
Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain, season lightly with salt.

Peel the beets and slice into thin rounds.
Divide the beet slices among plates.
Spoon some of the dressing on top.
Put the arugula in a bowl, drizzle with the lemon juice and oil, season with salt and toss.
Add the arugula salad to the plates, drizzle with more dressing, if desired.
Top with the nuts and fried sage, then SERVE.

Zana's note:

I shave the beets into very thin rounds onto the plate. Makes for a very delicate texture.

You can try various nuts with this or even a mixture. Slivers of almonds or hazelnuts are delish.

Last edited by Zana; May 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added the final note
Old May 19, 2012   #44
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Brilliant Beet Dip

1 lb. beets, soft cooked, peeled and cut into chunks
4 ozs. soft tofu, drained
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar or more to taste
2 tbsps. minced shallots
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon

Puree ingredients (using 1 tablespoon vinegar) in a food processor or
blender until smooth.
Adjust seasonings, adding more vinegar and salt to taste.
Serve immediately or refrigerate in tightly sealed container for up to 3 days.

Makes about 2 cups.
Old May 19, 2012   #45
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Horseradish Cheese Spread

1 lb. processed cheese, cut into cubes
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup horseradish
assorted crackers

Melt cheese in the top of a double boiler or microwave.
Stir in mayonnaise and horseradish.
Pour into a small crock or ceramic bowl.
Chill.

Serve with crackers.

Yields about 2 1/2 cups.

Zana’s Note:

I have made this with brie, monterrey jack, jarlsberg, but my favourites are smoked gruyere or smoked extra old cheddar. I have also added chopped arugula in after stirring in the mayonnaise and horseradish for a peppery flavour.