Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 4, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Swiss Chard, Bok Choy, Spinach, Kale, Greens

Really easy recipe!

for the crust, combine 2 c flour in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water, mix to form a dough - with floured fingers, press into a pie plate. Chill for 1 hour in the fridge.

In a pan, saute a chopped medium onion in a few tbsp olive oil until wilted - meanwhile, chop the leaves from 1 pound of swiss chard (if it is young and tender, include the stems as well). Add the chard to the onion and saute for 4 min or so until the greens are wilted and tender. Add 1/2 tsp salt, some fresh basil and black pepper. Take off the heat.

In a bowl, mix 1/3 cup half and half or cream, 3 large eggs and 1 cup of grated Parmesan Reggiano. Add the chard/onion mix , stir well. Pour into the pastry shell - bake at 375 for 45 min. Let sit for 10 min to set...yum. Best use for chard we've found!
Old May 4, 2007   #2
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Swiss Chard Quiche. Say that 3 times really fast, lol

Thanks Craig, sounds delish, no matter how hard I try to say it.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'll be trying recipe soon.
Old May 5, 2007   #4
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I love spinach pie. I was just thinking yesterday I should get someone who can cook to make them with chard or beet greens (which are really my favorite).
Old May 6, 2007   #5
pierre rutten
Tomatovillian™

Default Chard Tart

Theire is a delicious traditional speciality of sweet Chard Tart here in the neighbourhood of Nice french Riviera. Its name is "Tourte aux Blettes". Tourte is similar to Tart and Blettes is french for Swiss Chard.
An ingredient of the Tourte being Pinus pinea (stone pine) edible seeds (pignons in french).
pierre rutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007   #6
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to try your recipe Craig. Sounds good.

Ooooooooooooh....I remember eating Tourte aux Blettes. I love the addition of the the pine nuts (pinus pinea). I managed to find a recipe for it and have made it since. My recipe called for toasted pine nuts ( and smoked gruyere). yummmmmmmmm
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #7
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

I made this for dinner tonight with a few minor changes. I used half whole wheat flour and half white flour in the crust and evaporated milk in the filling since I didn't have cream. yummy! it was so tasty. I can't wait for more chard to be ready to pick!

thanks so much for the recipe. I'll be using it often!

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Great! We've also substituted whole wheat in the crust, and used fat free half and half - the recipe is very forgiving. What is particulary wonderful is how easy the crust is to make, and how flaky it comes out (and also how delicious that subtle flavor of olive oil is!)
Old July 2, 2007   #9
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I'm not a huge wine drinker, but this screams for a nice white I think, or maybe your favorite beer. What do you like with it? And thanks for the recipe.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2007   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

sounds like a wonderful recipe craig, but it's way too much work for me!

i normally saute the chard but i was in a rush (like when am i not?) the other day and decided to boil it. i chopped 12-15 leaves (4"-8" long) and the stems, added it to about 2 oz of boiling water and in 2 minutes it was done. NOW that's fast compared to sauting.

it was tender - excellent... better than sauting actually. i mixed the chard with ~ 2-3 cups brown rice, couple of crushed garlic cloves, ~ a handful of raw sunflower seeds, splash of good balsamic vinegar and 3 splashes of good olive oi and a lot of grated cheese.... in about 5 minutes supper is done, assuming the rice is cooked and it was.

i could live on this (i have several of these immediate meals i could live on, can't wait for pole beans) and i think the boiling is better than steaming and much quicker than sauteing. boiling seems to remove the metalic taste chard has. if only i had some tomatoes to chop up!

i really think boiling is better and i never boil anything due to the loss of vitamins. i drank the water, there's about 1 oz if you use just 2 oz.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #11
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

The chard was finally ready today, so we indulged in this fantastic Chard Tart for dinner. I added one minced clove of garlic to the onions and stirred in a couple of drops of hot sauce after the chard wilted. Everyone in the family is raving about the stuff.

Two things: this is going to be out of this world cold tomorrow for lunch/picnic. And the next party I throw, I'm going to divide the dough up between a dozen or so muffin cups and bake miniature versions to serve as appetizers. Yum, yum!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #12
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

I found this recipe at www.eatingwell.com. it's very spicy and delicious! I did substitute ground turkey for the ground beef and onions for the shallots. yummy!!

Stuffed Chard With Fresh Marinara
Makes 4 servings, 2 rolls each
Ingredients
1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
2 medium shallots, minced, divided
1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
8 large Swiss chard leaves, stems removed (see Tip)
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)

Instructions
1. Gently mix beef, breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon shallot, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until just combined. Divide the mixture into 8 oblong 3-inch portions.
2. Overlap the two sides of a chard leaf where the stem was removed and place a portion of beef there. Tightly roll the chard around the beef. Place each roll, seam-side down, in a large nonstick skillet. Pour in broth, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a roll reads 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any remaining broth.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining shallot, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot is soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 8 minutes. Serve the chard rolls topped with sauce and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Tips
Cover and refrigerate the chard rolls in the sauce; reheat in a covered baking dish at 350°F for about 10 minutes.
Remove chard stems, including the widest section of the rib at the base of the leaf, by making narrow triangular cuts.

Nutrition Information
Per serving: 388 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrate; 32 g protein; 6 g fiber; 720 mg sodium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (150% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Iron (45% dv), Zinc (42% dv), Potassium (40% dv).

strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #13
felpec
Tomatovillian™

I've used big chard leaves as a substitute for the cabbage in stuffed cabbage rolls.

Chard is good stuff - one of those vegetables that should be more popular, but for some reason, just isn't. Maybe people just don't know what to do with it?
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #14
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Default Collard Greens

I would love to get some traditional recipes for collards from people who enjoy these greens.

Thanks,

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2007   #15
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I did not grow up eating collards but have really come to love them. I learned to cook them from my inlaws who were from LA (Lower Alabama). I have friends who won't eat collards unless I prepare them.
First if you are growing your own it is better for you to let them get some cold weather on them. It does improve the flavor. We do not let our leaves grow too big as it takes longer to cook. Start a pot of water to boil, make sure you salt it really well. While my water is warming I wash each leaf by hand. I then tear the greens from the stem. Your sink will be filled with hard stems. Add to boiling water with some form of cooking meat smoked ham, ham bones, jowl bacon ect. Low boil until they are tender. Cut up further, drain off liquid to serve. I save my "pot liquor to store the collards for freezing or for leftovers. The most important thing we add is at the end which is Hot pepper vinegar. I make my own out of Habeneros, Vinegar and canning salt. YUMMMMY We eat this with some pone bread (corn bread) Delish!!!!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote