Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 19, 2007   #16
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recipe. I do grow a lot of my own and really don't use enough of it. The same goes for kale and chard. Because they are so nutritious I would like to eat more and the recipe really helps.

I'm growing a whole slew of habaneros and other hot peppers and would love to know how you use them to make vinegar or hot sauce.

Thanks,

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2007   #17
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Those peppers look fantastic and it sounds so easy. I love eating habaneros and hope to have enough to pickle. Thank you for the recipe.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2007   #18
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Had this for lunch today, only used beet greens instead of chard, added a little chopped garlic, evaporated milk instead of half and half, a four cheese blend instead of parmesan by itself. Used a combo of fresh basil and parsley. Should have used more. I'll know better next time.

Used a different crust that I had already made up. Your tart recipe is very forgiving Craig. Fed it to my mom who is a bit under the weather. She loved it. Thanks.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2007   #19
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Swiss Chard, Bok Choy, Spinach, Kale

I have lots of Kale!! I grew Nero di Toscano aka Dinosaur Kale. I had no idea the plants would get so huge! I plan on cooking it all down and freezing it. So it isn't going to go bad, but I have no clue what to do with it all. Hopefully a few of you out there like it and have a recipe or two.
Thanks,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2007   #20
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Kale

I just chop mine up uncooked and freeze for soups later in the winter. I didn't grow it but bought the same kind at the farmer's market. Someone told me this hint to save time and I've done it for a few years now. Just throw in a few handfuls into the soup pot.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2007   #21
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my dinosaur kale (lacinato) didn't do so well this year. my red russian and white russian kale did very well. red russian is a standby in our garden. we eat it cooked as a side dish. we also throw in a small amount of it in our vita-mix when we make fruit smoothies as a way to get greens into our 3 year old son. we start with frozen bananas, wild or tame blue berries, mixed berries, some soy milk, and we vary it with an orange, carrot, coconut, pineapple, dates, cocoa powder, winter squash, walnuts, sun flower seeds, etc. its just matter of finding the right balance of ingredients. you won't taste the kale once everything is blended.
we also use a bunch of it when we make vegetable soup.
no recipe really, my wife, and i have made it so often in variations, we just do it on the fly. the basic ingredients are a large onion, peppers, zucchini, carrot, celery, garlic, all chopped. add potatos if you want. i'll throw in about a cup of frozen peas and corn. some mushrooms if you like them. about 2 cups of beans such as garbanzo, black, red or some other bean. mix it up if you want. we use a 28 ounce can or equivalent of diced tomatos, an equal amount of water, and a can of tomato paste. seasonings can be whatever you like. i'll add a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast, mckays or bills best seasoning, we like tarragon, but you can use basil, oregano, thyme or spice of your choice. throw in a bunch of kale, cabbage, bok choy, chard or some other green. see what i mean by no set recipe. just use what you have on hand. it gonna taste good.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2007   #22
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Our favorite way to eat it is in colcannon, supposedly of Irish origin and sometimes made with cabbage rather than kale. We use Tuscan kale for our version.

1 large bunch kale, midribs removed
5 to 6 potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and sliced
3/4 to 1 cup milk
butter (1 T.?)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (lots is good)

Boil potatoes until tender. Clean kale and steam it separately until tender; cool slightly and chop with knife or kitchen shears. Heat milk and butter. Drain and mash potatoes, adding milk mixture and beating to make fluffy mashed potatoes. Season to taste with salt and plenty of black pepper. Stir in the steamed chopped kale and serve as a side dish. If you have too many, refrigerate and reheat in a microwave later, adding a bit more milk to achieve desired consistency. Or mix some with an egg and make a non-traditional mashed-potato potato pancake.
Old November 15, 2007   #23
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok Remy,
I checked some of my "files"....god knows I've snagged recipes from all over the map over the years....and come up with more than a few of my own too.

Kale With Sauteed Apple And Onion
Gourmet | December 2000

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 15 min
Makes 2 servings.

1 Granny Smith apple
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 lb kale, tough stems and ribs removed and leaves coarsely chopped
1/2 cup water

Peel, quarter, and core apple, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges.
Heat oil in a 5-quart pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add apple and curry powder and sauté, stirring, until apple is almost tender, about 2 minutes.
Add kale and water and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender and most of liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Season with salt.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2007   #24
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Kale With Garlic And Cranberries
Gourmet | November 2007

Garlicky kale, a robust winter green, gains an unexpected twist with dried cranberries' saucy hits of tartness.
Makes 8 servings
Ruth Cousineau

2 pounds kale (preferably Russian Red), stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely torn
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries (2 ounces)

Cook kale in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water (1 1/2 tablespoons salt for 4 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain in a colander, then immediately transfer kale to an ice bath to stop cooking. When kale is cool, drain but do not squeeze.

Cook garlic in oil in same pot over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kale, dried cranberries, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing frequently with tongs, until kale is heated through and tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KaleW:Garlic&Cranberries.jpg (5.3 KB, 15 views)
Old November 15, 2007   #25
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Kale, Butternut Squash, and Pancetta Pie

Gourmet | October 2004

Makes 6 main-course servings.

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 (1-lb) piece butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 1/2 cups)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 medium onion, finely chopped 4 (1/8-inch-thick) slices pancetta* (Italian unsmoked cured bacon; 3 1/2 oz), finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
1 1/2 lb kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped (16 cups)
1/4 cup water
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen
1 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 cup)
Special equipment: a 9-inch round heavy nonstick springform pan

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté squash with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring frequently, until browned and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and spread in 1 layer to cool.

Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and reduce heat to moderate, then cook onion, pancetta, garlic, sage, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in kale and water and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until kale is just tender, about 6 minutes. (Skillet will be full, but volume will reduce as vegetables steam.) Cool, uncovered, to room temperature.

Brush springform pan with some of butter. Unroll phyllo and cover stack with plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel. Keeping remaining phyllo covered and, working quickly, gently fit 1 sheet into pan with ends overhanging and brush with butter (including overhang). Rotate pan slightly and top with another sheet (sheets should not align) and brush in same manner. Repeat with 5 more sheets, rotating pan each time so sheets cover entire rim.

Spread half of kale mixture in phyllo shell. Gently stir together squash and cheese in a bowl and spread evenly over kale. Top with remaining kale.

Put remaining sheet of phyllo on a work surface and brush with butter. Fold in half crosswise and butter again. Fold again (to quarter) and brush with butter, then lay over center of filling. Bring edges of phyllo up over filling (over quartered sheet of phyllo) to enclose. Brush top with butter and bake until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool pie in pan on a rack 5 minutes. Remove side of pan and transfer to a platter. Cut into wedges (leave bottom of pan under pie).

Cooks' note:
Pie can be baked 2 hours ahead and left in pan, uncovered. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven.
*Available at specialty foods shops and many supermarkets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KaleButternutSquash&PancettaPie.jpg (6.2 KB, 13 views)
Old November 15, 2007   #26
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Kale And Potato Spanish Tortilla
Gourmet | February 2003

The potatoes are poached in olive oil as they often are in Spain — only some oil is absorbed; the rest is drained off.
Active time: 1 hr Start to finish: 1 3/4 hr
Makes 6 servings.
Gourmet Entertains

1 lb boiling potatoes
1 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 lb kale, center ribs discarded
7 large eggs

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/3-inch dice (2 1/4 cups). Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then reduce heat to moderately low and cook potatoes, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Blanch kale while potatoes cook: _Cook kale in a 4- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain again, squeezing handfuls of kale to extract excess moisture, then coarsely chop.
Add kale to potato mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain vegetables in colander set over a bowl, reserving drained oil, and cool 10 minutes.
Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl, then stir in vegetables, 1 tablespoon drained oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Add 1 tablespoon drained oil to skillet, then add egg mixture and cook over low heat, covered, until sides are set but center is still loose, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 15 minutes.

Shake skillet gently to make sure tortilla is not sticking (if it is sticking, loosen with a heatproof plastic spatula). Slide tortilla onto a large flat plate, then invert skillet over tortilla and flip it back into skillet. Round off edge of tortilla with plastic spatula and cook over low heat, covered, 10 minutes more. Slide tortilla onto a plate and serve warm, cut into wedges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kale&PotatoSpanishTortilla.jpg (6.1 KB, 13 views)
Old November 15, 2007   #27
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Farmers Market Greens

Gourmet | October 2005

We used strongly flavored wild greens because a mild salad would get lost with the rest of the menu. The dressing is a simple and classic vinaigrette.
Makes 6 servings.
Menus

1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
1/2 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb mixed baby greens such as kale, mizuna, tatsoi, mustard, arugula, and spinach (16 cups)
1 1/2 oz edible flowers (optional)

Whisk together vinegar, shallot, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Add greens and flowers and toss until coated well.

Cooks' notes:
• Greens can be washed and dried 1 day ahead and chilled in a sealed plastic bag lined with paper towels.
• Vinaigrette can be made 6 hours ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FarmersMarketGreens.jpg (7.1 KB, 12 views)
Old November 15, 2007   #28
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Lacinato Kale and Ricotta Salata Salad

Gourmet | January 2007

Inspired by an antipasto that's popular at New York City's Lupa, this substantial salad takes a hearty, rich green that's usually cooked and proves how delicious it can be when served raw.
Makes 6 servings.
Quick Kitchen

3/4 to 1 lb lacinato kale (also called Tuscan kale) or tender regular kale, stems and center ribs discarded
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz coarsely grated ricotta salata (1 cup)

Working in batches, cut kale crosswise into very thin slices.

Whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined well.

Toss kale and ricotta salata in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat well, then season with salt and pepper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LacintoKale&RicottaSalata.jpg (5.3 KB, 12 views)
Old November 15, 2007   #29
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've done this one with chicken, white fish, shellfish and its been yummmmmy. Zana

Tofu, Greens And Sun-Dried Tomato Strudel With Red Pepper Sauce
Bon Appétit | September 2000

Makes 6 servings.
Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, NY

1 bunch kale, stems and ribs cut away and discarded, leaves finely chopped (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
7 ounces firm tofu (half of one 14-ounce package), drained, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 ounces grated reduced-fat provolone cheese
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 teaspoons all purpose flour
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, patted dry, chopped
Nonstick olive oil spray
6 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
Red Pepper Sauce

Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Cool; squeeze dry. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Cool.
Finely chop tofu, cheeses, dill and flour in processor. Transfer to bowl. Stir in onion mixture, kale and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray large baking sheet with oil spray. Stack 2 phyllo sheets, one atop the other, on work surface; spray phyllo with oil spray. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets. Spray with oil spray. Repeat with remaining 2 phyllo sheets. Spread tofu mixture lengthwise down center of phyllo in 3-inch-wide strip, leaving about 1 1/2-inch border on each short side. Fold short sides of phyllo in over filling, then roll up into log, enclosing filling completely.

Spray phyllo log with oil spray. Transfer strudel to prepared baking sheet.

Bake strudel until golden brown, about 40 minutes. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 350°F oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.) Cool 10 minutes. Cut strudel crosswise into 6 pieces. Place on plates. Spoon Red Pepper Sauce alongside.

per serving (with 1/6 of sauce): calories, 225; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 8 mg
Old November 15, 2007   #30
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Fettuccine With Sausage And Kale
Gourmet | March 2006

Hearty ingredients load this quick Italian dinner with spicy, cheesy flavor.
Makes 4 to 6 main-course servings.
Quick Kitchen

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb hot turkey or pork sausage, casings discarded and sausage crumbled
1/2 lb kale, tough stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
1/2 lb dried egg fettuccine
2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 oz finely grated Pecorino Romano (1/2 cup) plus additional for serving

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook sausage, breaking up any lumps with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, blanch kale in a 6-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove kale with a large sieve and drain. Return cooking water in pot to a boil, then cook pasta in boiling water, uncovered, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander.

While pasta cooks, add kale to sausage in skillet and sauté, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of skillet, then add pasta and 1/2 cup reserved cooking water to skillet, tossing until combined. Stir in cheese and thin with additional cooking water if desired.

Serve immediately, with additional cheese on the side.