Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old August 9, 2011   #16
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ok...time to break out the Montreal Smoked Bacon from local butcher, and go grabs some maters from the garden. The bread I made this morning is cooling...only way I can counter not making a total mess drooling. Sighhhhhhhhh.

Definitely going to have to try this, Worth. And I think next time I'm at the butcher's I'm going to get me some triple smoked ham hocks. He does it with apple wood on the second smoking and cherry on the third wood.

But it appears that spending so much time in TX, I'm just going to have to get a smoker/grill of mine own here. Hmmmmmmmm....time to go research sources here.

Enjoy your Beans, Worth....and thanks for sharing the recipe.

Z
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011   #17
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Soak one 1 pound package of beans overnight.
Slice up one package of smoked hog jowl into ¼ inch slices.(Like thick bacon.)
Better yet cure and smoke your own.
Put hog jowl in pan and slow fry until all of the fat is cooked out.
Put into kettle and slow simmer about 30 minutes more.
Put ham hock into another kettle and simmer for about 1 hour.
This removes a lot of the salt.
Put beans ham hock and jowl into large crock pot with water and cook on medium over night or all day.
12 hours is best.
Remove ham hock NOT jowl and let cool.
Separate meat from ALL the bones and put bones aside.
Put meat (Skin and all) and some of the bean water into a big blender and liquefy.
You may find you need more water in the beans at this time and if you do only put boiling water in.
This will keep the skin from coming off of the beans cold water will do this. (If the skin comes off they won’t be fit for the gods.)
Pour the liquefied ham hocks back into the beans and stir.
PS don’t tell anyone you have liquefied ham hocks in the beans.
Enjoy
Worth
Good old southern cooking. I never cook beans without ham. My favorite thing to do is get a large ham, bone in. When we are done with the ham, I take the bone with small amounts of ham remaining on it, cover it with water and reduce it down to hardly any water. Sometimes I reduce it down 2 or 3 times. Then I put the reduction, bone and all, in my beans and cook them.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #18
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Beans, Lentils, Chickpeas

Bobby Flay’s Honey-Rum Baked Black Beans
Chef Bobby Flay cooked these baked black beans, spiked with chorizo and rum, on one of his television shows, Throwdown! with Bobby Flay, to compete with a more-traditional batch of Carolina baked beans. We adore the results. If you bring them along to a summer party, reheat before serving or bring them in a crock-pot and plug it in when you get to the party. Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay’s Throwdown! by Bobby Flay with Stephanie Banyas and Miriam Garron (Clarkson Potter, 2010).

Bobby Flay’s Honey-Rum Baked Black Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Chef Bobby Flay cooked these baked black beans, spiked with chorizo and rum, on one of his television shows, Throwdown! with Bobby Flay, to compete with a more-traditional batch of Carolina baked beans. We adore the results. If you bring them along to a summer party, reheat before serving or bring them in a crock-pot and plug it in when you get to the party. Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay’s Throwdown! by Bobby Flay with Stephanie Banyas and Miriam Garron (Clarkson Potter, 2010).
16 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours (not including bean-soaking time)
NUTRITION PROFILE
High fiber | Low saturated fat | Low cholesterol | Heart healthy | Gluten free
INGREDIENTS
1 pound dried black beans (about 2 3/4 cups), picked over and soaked in cold water for 8 hours (or see Tip)
1 tablespoon canola oil
8 ounces dried chorizo (see Note), cut into small dice (about 2 cups)
1 medium Spanish onion, cut into small dice
1 medium carrot, cut into small dice
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup dark rum
2 cups homemade chicken stock or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
1 cup Mesa Grill Barbecue Sauce or your favorite barbecue sauce
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
1/4 cup clover honey
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more taste

PREPARATION
Drain beans. Place in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover the pot and simmer until very tender, 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
Reduce heat to medium, add onion and carrot to the pan and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add rum, bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add this mixture to the beans.
Add 2 cups stock (or broth), barbecue sauce, 1/4 cup cilantro, honey, molasses, brown sugar and the reserved chorizo to the beans. Mix gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a large baking dish and cover. Bake for 30 minutes.
Check to see if the bean mixture is dry; if it is, add a little more stock (or broth). Bake for 30 minutes more. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more to thicken slightly.
Garnish the beans with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Note: Dried, Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, fully cooked, smoked pork sausage. Find it near other cured sausages in well-stocked super markets or online at tienda.com.
NUTRITION
Per serving: 261 calories; 7 g fat ( 2 g sat , 3 g mono ); 12 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 418 mg sodium; 443 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium-fat meat
Old August 14, 2011   #19
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Jean-Georges's Chickpea Fries

Serves 8 to 10
Jean-Georges Vongerichten, owner of Prime Steakhouse, at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas, shares his recipe for this Prime favorite. These fries can also be pan-fried in 1/4 inch of olive oil.

Vegetable oil, for frying
4 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
Coarse salt
Cayenne pepper
Freshly ground white pepper
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups chickpea flour

1. Bring milk to a boil in a large saucepan with butter, salt, cayenne, and white pepper. Slowly add flour, whisking constantly and vigorously until the mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 5 minutes.

2. Cover an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet with plastic wrap. Pour mixture onto three quarters of the prepared baking sheet, spreading evenly with an offset spatula. Cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to refrigerator to chill until firm, about 1 hour.

3. In a large, deep pot, heat 4 inches of oil until it reaches 350°. Remove plastic wrap, and cut dough crosswise into 3-inch strips. Cut strips crosswise into 1/2-inch fries. Transfer fries to heated oil, and fry in batches until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from oil, and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Repeat with remaining fries. Serve immediately.
Old August 14, 2011   #20
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy's Succotash

Serves 4
This vegetable dish makes a great accompaniment to the adobo chicken that is a favorite at Jimmy’s Bronx Café in New York City. The recipe was shared with us by the restaurant’s owner, Jimmy Rodriguez.

3 ears corn, unshucked
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup blanched fava beans
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

1. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Place corn on grill pan, and grill, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove from grill pan, and set aside. When cool enough to handle, shuck the corn and cut the kernels from the cobs.

2. Heat butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add corn, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add fava beans and cherry tomatoes. Stir until completely coated with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately or let cool at room temperature. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a few hours. Reheat in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Old August 14, 2011   #21
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Black bean-chile-corn salsa with fresh corn tortillas

1/2 a can (~8 oz) of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup sweet corn, either fresh or frozen or canned
3-4 roasted Anaheim-type chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 large tomato, diced and allowed to drain
juice from 1 lime
1-2 tablespoons of Italian dressing
grated cheese

Combine all but the tomato and cheese and let stand for 10 minutes or so to let the flavors meld, then add the diced tomato.

Lightly coat fresh corn tortllas with olive oil and place them one at a time in a hot skillet for several minutes on each side. Before removing, sprinkle on some grated cheese to melt.

After removing the tortilla from the skillet, pile on some of the salsa and fold the tortilla up sort of like a taco. Place another tortilla on the skillet for the next person in line.

This makes enough for two hungry adults. They are delicious and a good way to use any peppers and other garden stuff you might want to add in.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #22
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Chickpea Balls with Eggplant Dip

Serves 6 to 8

The original recipe is deep-fried, but we’ve added a lighter baked version.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in 6 cups water
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
¼ cup chopped mint
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ cup onion, finely minced
Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup grated zucchini, squeezed dry
1 tsp baking powder
Vegetable oil (for deep frying)

DIRECTIONS
In a food processor, puree all ingredients except the last three until the mixture holds its shape when rolled in a ball. Scrape mixture into a bowl, then stir in zucchini.

If deep-frying, add baking poweder and roll heaping tablespoons into balls. Fry at 360 dgrees F until crispy, golden brown and cooked in the centre.

If baking, form into fingers and bake at 375degrees F for 25 minutes. Serve with Eggplant Dip.

Eggplant Dip

INGREDIENTS
3 medium eggplants

1/2 cup olive oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

3 tbsp red wine vinegar

Salt and pepper to taste

Lemon wedges and pine nuts (for garnish)

Instructions:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 450°F.

Step 2: Rub eggplant skin with a touch of oil, then roast on high heat until skin is charred and flesh is soft, about 20 minutes.

Step 3: Scoop out cooked pulp and purée in food processor with garlic, then place in a bowl. Slowly whisk in vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over Zucchini Chickpea Balls. Garnish with lemon and pine nuts.

Author: Harry Kambolis
Photographer: Hamid Attie
houseandhome.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg appetizers-chickpeaballs-NuRestaurant-HamidAttie.jpg (40.9 KB, 15 views)
Old October 26, 2011   #23
Zana
Tomatovillian™

CANADIAN HUNT CAMP BAKED BEANS

1 lb white beans
1 qt. cold water
1 medium onion sliced
1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
3 tsps. cider vinegar
2 tbsps. brown sugar
3/4 cup molasses
1 cup ketchup
pinch of black pepper
1/2 pound of bacon
3 tbsps. of your favourite bbq sauce (I prefer bullseye)

Rinse beans and soak overnight in cold water. Cook in soaking water. Cook beans covered in pot in 1 quart water. Cover, heat to boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.

Drain, keeping the liquid aside. Mix beans and rest of ingredients in min. 6 qt. casserole dish, dutch oven, roast pan, etc.

Add 3 cups of reserved cooking water. Cover and bake for 4 hours in 250F oven.

Remove and add more water if needed at this time. Remove 1 cup of beans from pot and mash and add back to pot and stir.

Place back in oven for another 2 hours at 250F.

Zana's Note:

I use chopped up chunks of double smoked bacon ends or back bacon (aka Canadian Bacon).

Last edited by Zana; October 26, 2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added note
Old October 26, 2011   #24
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Tortilla-Black Bean Casserole

Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes

2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
1-1/2 cups chopped green sweet pepper (2 medium)
1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
3/4 cup bottled picante sauce or green salsa
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans black beans and/or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
12 6-inch corn tortillas
8 ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
2 cups shredded lettuce (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)
Sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
1/2 cup light dairy sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt (optional)

1. In a large skillet combine onion, sweet pepper, undrained tomatoes, picante sauce, cumin, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.

2. Spread one-third of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
Top with six of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and 1 cup of the cheese.
Add another one-third of the bean mixture; top with remaining 6 tortillas and remaining bean mixture.

3. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Let stand 10 minutes.

4. If desired, top with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, green onions, and olives, and serve with sour cream.

5. Makes 8 main-dish servings
Old October 27, 2011   #25
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Black Bean Hummus with Tahini

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tahini paste
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil, for drizzling

Combine the black beans, tahini, yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt in the bowl of a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Chill 1 hour before serving. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil to garnish.
Old February 27, 2012   #26
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default Chicken and beans

Chicken and Beans
This is a really good dish, and a lttle different from the normal fare. Simmering on the stove as I type. The wife is off to pick up my grandson from school, so I told her I would have this ready on her return.
ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil; lg onion sliced and chopped; 3 cloves garlic sliced ; 1/2 fennel bulb trimmed n chopped; 3-4 carrots, chopped; 1 tbspn flour; 14.5 oz can of white kidney or navy beans; 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (or fresh!!); 1/2 cup chicken broth; 1/4 cup dry red wine; 2 bay leaves; 1/2 tsp salt; 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper; 4-5 skinless chicken thighs; 1 tbspn finely chopped rosemary ( 1 tsp dried) 2 tsp grated lemon zest.
Tonight I have no fennel bulb, so using fennel seeds, or thai basil (anise flavor) instead. No wine, so tbspn of cherry juice concentrate and 1/4 cup water there. No lemon zest, gonna try orange zest instead.
Heat oil in deep pan, saute onions on med hi, ad carrots and fennel and garlic, saute further, 10 minutes total. Ad tomatoes, flour; broth, wine, bay lvs, salt n pepper, bring to a boil, stir. Ad chicken, reduce heat and simmer covered about 40 min.
Ad beans, rosemary and zest, return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3-5 min til heated well. Serve.
I have a bunch of recipes collected over the years, I'll try to post more. I love cooking, especially unusual type dishes, as much as gardening. I never liked cooked spinach til I tried it with almonds and fresh grapes!!!! I'll do that one some time!
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #27
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Kenny,

thank you for sharing this. I am going to try it this week. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully I won't inadvertently harm anyone in my attempts to make it.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2012   #28
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

This does sound good. I will be making this Thursday for my wife and son when they get home from work. I hope I can find the fennel. Also can you use boneless chicken breast? My son will not eat chicken thighs.

Thanks
Dwight
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #29
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Just finished the last bowl of left overs! Be creative and substitute anything you wish. My wife does not like fennel, so I used Thai basil which has a similar quality, but milder. Anise seed would work well also. In my first bowl of leftovers for dinner last night, I added a couple of large spoonfuls of chopped pineapple from a can, and that gave it a wonderful fruity taste. I have always liked vinegar in beans and in chile, so the last bowl I added some cherry vinegar (basalmic or plain would work too) that we picked up last summer on vacation in cherryville (Traverse City). Chicken breasts should work well. I'm gonna dig out a favorite and post it here, Chicken Ruby. It is done in a similar manner, in that every thing ends up in the pot together, so the chicken absorbs the flavor of every thing else, and vice-versa. It is fried chicken, added to a pot of orange juice, fresh cranberries, some sugar and a few other things. We do it with bone in, skin on usually, but I have made it boneless, skinless and without flouring and frying chiken first. The sauce is served over wide noodles. and the cranberries are the "rubies". Really sweet & sour and absolutely to die for. You can adjust for less sugar if you think it to sweet, or start with half and ad more at the table to suit individual tastes. I do love fiddling with flavors like this!!

kj
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #30
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Multilayered Dip

1 14 oz. can refried beans
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1/4 tsp. cumin, ground
hot pepper sauce
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1/3 cup green onions
1/2 cup olives, black sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 cups cheddar, shredded

In bowl, blend together beans, 1/4 cup of sour cream, cumin and hot pepper sauce. Spread evenly on try 12" in diameter and at least 1 1/2" deep.

In bowl, mix remaining sour cream, chopped onion, lime juice and red pepper flakes; spread over refried bean layer.

Garnish with concentric rings of green onions on outside, black olives, tomatoes and cheese in centre.

Cover and refrigerate till serving time. ]

Tortilla wedges may be used as dippers.