Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old August 2, 2015   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I love canned hams from Denmark.

Hormel good too.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #47
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Frito Pie.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #48
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Good ol mac an cheese !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #49
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

LOVE Mac & Cheese!!! Following is my favorite adapted homemade mac & cheese - one I love to use whenever I have a lot of flotsam & jetsam bits & pieces of various cheeses rattling around in the fridge bin. (And since we're big-time cheese lovers, that's quite frequently - lol!) However, when I need a real comfort-food fix from my childhood, nothing hits the spot like good old neon-orange Kraft (or Velveeta sometimes).

GARDENINGCOOK MULTI-CHEESE MACARONI AU GRATIN
(adapted from 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian)

1 pound elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2-1/2 cups milk

Approx. a half a pound to ¾ of a pound of a combination of grated or crumbled cheeses (blue/gorgonzola, cheddar, gouda – smoked or regular - gruyere, etc., etc. – pretty much any crumbly cheese that suits your fancy. I frequently make this recipe with all sorts of odds & ends of grateable cheeses I have on hand. If using any blue cheeses though, be careful not to use so much that it overpowers the other cheeses.)
Approx. 4-6 ounces grated Mozzarella cheese
Approx. 4-6 ounces grated Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese
Approx. 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten

Dried seasoned breadcrumbs (optional)
Hot paprika, or a combination of regular paprika & a little ground cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350. In a large pasta pot, cook macaroni until tender but still firm, according to package directions. Drain well & return to pasta pot, tossing gently with 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour & cook, whisking, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk & bring “just” to a boil, still whisking, until sauce is thick & smooth, 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheeses - EXCEPT for Mozzarella & Parmesan - until they begin to melt, about 2-3 minutes. Season with nutmeg & black pepper to taste.

Add cheese sauce to cooked pasta. Add & gently stir in beaten egg, Mozzarella, & Parmesan cheeses. Transfer to a lightly oiled 9” x 13" or similar-size baking dish. Sprinkle with hot paprika or regular paprika & cayenne pepper & a little dry seasoned breadcrumbs if desired.

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until casserole is bubbling & top is nice & brown.
Old August 2, 2015   #50
matereater
Tomatovillian™

mmmmmmmm !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #51
tam91
Tomatovillian™

If I could pick only one food, it would be pizza.

Also comfort food for me is that macaroni, beef, tomato, onion "goulash".

Anyone have a good chicken and dumplings recipe?
Old August 2, 2015   #52
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Sure do tracy...

I make homemade dumplings. My receipt is somewhat different than some others. I first cook a whole chicken in a large pot of water that completely covers the chicken. Put on a lid and cook on low for about 1-1/2 hours. Take chicken out and cool. Meanwhile, I add about 4 or 5 bullion chicken cubes to the broth as there isn’t enough flavor in the broth by itself. While the chicken is cooling, I make my dumplings. I use 4 cups of flour and two tablespoons of baking powder to 1 cup of Crisco. I don’t use butter as it makes them too soft and they are inclined to fall about when cooking. Mix the flour and Crisco until you get lumps about the size of peas. Add one cup of broth (cooled) a little at a time and mix as you are adding it. I just do this with my hands. When you have mixed it thoroughly, flour a cutting surface and take 1/4 of the dough and roll out until about 1/8 of an inch. You can make them as thick or thin as you like. I prefer them on the thinner side, but that’s me. If you like them thicker, roll them out a little thicker. As I cut them out, I layer them on a paper plate and put a napkin between layers as this keeps the layers from sticking together an keeps them from drying out while I am rolling and cutting the rest. Make the squares about 2×2 in. and don’t worry if they aren’t all even. Next, I add about 3 or 4 drops of yellow food coloring to the broth as I don’t like the white look of the broth when they are done. You don’t need to add the food coloring if you don’t want to. Bring your broth to a broil. Add one dumpling at a time and stir continuously as you are adding them until you have all in the pot. Reduce the heat to just a simmer and cover. Leave a little room with the lid for the steam to escape or they will boil over even at a simmer. I cook them about 20 minutes and I stir very gently a couple of times while they are cooking. This keeps them from sticking together and they cook better. Turn off the heat and add the shredded chicken. Let them set uncovered for about 15 minutes before serving. This helps them to thicken. If the broth isn’t thick enough for you, just mix a little cornstarch and water and mix in a bowl and then add to the pot stirring to thicken. It may take making them a few times until you have perfected the receipt for your liking.
It is important to use a pot about the size of a dutch oven pot and add enough water to about 3/4 of the pot.
Make sure each time you roll out a section of dough you add flour to your rolling surface.
You must use the baking powder or the dumpling will stay flat and doughy. Do NOT use baking soda. Will NOT work and it is too salty.
Using your hands to mix the dough will give you a feeling for if you need more or less broth. Usually one cup is enough but if you think you need more, add it. Your dough should end up with a spongy feeling.
I hope this helps. Don’t get frustrated if you aren’t happy with the results for the 1st time. This is kinda like making a pie crust. You have to get a feeling for the dough and judge for yourself if you cooked the dumplings long enough. The inside of the dumpling should not look raw.
Old December 12, 2016   #53
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Chili is the best comfort food. Combine it with a little moonshine and....well you know.

Smoked pulled pork, venison, chorizo, blue corn chips for scoopin' and a little of my pickled green sweet relish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2576.jpg (427.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2578.jpg (355.3 KB, 84 views)
Old April 5, 2017   #54
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

That's some great looking chili.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2017   #55
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great thread. Making me hungry just reading thru this.....
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #56
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Just had a traditional Irish dessert, stewed apple. Boil small, peeled chunks of apple in a saucepan with enough water to cover the chunks. Squash the chunks when they're soft (it doesn't have to be totally smooth, some chunks are still fine). Add a bit of sugar (how much depends on how sweet the apples are).
Most people eat it with custard, but I prefer it by itself
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #57
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I like a little cinnamon in it. Not too much.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #58
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Hatgirl, that sounds good and easy too. Like a hearty applesauce. I know I'll make it soon. And wouldn't it be good over vanilla ice cream?
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #59
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier
I like a little cinnamon in it. Not too much.
Apple and cinnamon always go well together! I also like demerara sugar or maple syrup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Hatgirl, that sounds good and easy too. Like a hearty applesauce. I know I'll make it soon. And wouldn't it be good over vanilla ice cream?
It's good with everything!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #60
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

What kinds of apples?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote