Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 1, 2015   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I agree with all the comments... In the nicest way possible, too. We are all wanting the best for you, but we can't do it for you. only you can make the changes and stick with them. Please please please get rid of the soda pop. It is terrible stuff for you it is ruining your bones and teeth. I haven't been to the doctor in years and I do mean years... I probably should go but I feel like it is such an invasion of my privacy...nor do I like to be touched by strangers.

And in the nicest way, I'd recommend you consider getting an appointment with a doctor for a complete work up.

I know way too many families (mine included) that have suffered the loss of a loved one from some ailment that could have been treated or cured had it only been caught sooner. One friend lost a spouse to lung cancer who like you, saw medical care as an invasion of privacy. It was at stage four by the time it became obvious something was wrong and it was discovered during a visit to the ER.

Please do yourself and those who love you a favor and get a physical.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not to sound creepy but I am starting to get a psychological profile of some folks here.
Carolyn I see you as the Matriarch of the family caring for others and neglecting yourself.
There is nothing wrong with this as long as you are healthy.
But if something were to happen to you your family would be lost if you dont have a successor.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #18
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

For some people, like my best friend, insurance is not affordable and Dr. visits and lab work are just not in the budget.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #19
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Deborah, you took a long time to get into the habits you have now. You gained those habits one at a time. The answer is that you can get back to the healthy stuff one thing at a time. Pick one out and fix it . Make it your first victory. Then choose the next one. Substitute one coke for one glass of water each day.

It is still true that the longest journey starts with the first step. We all have in our own ways had to do some of these things. Believe it or not, it is as simple as deciding to do it, and knowing that it is the best present you'll ever give yourself.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #20
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Deborah, you took a long time to get into the habits you have now. You gained those habits one at a time. The answer is that you can get back to the healthy stuff one thing at a time. Pick one out and fix it . Make it your first victory. Then choose the next one. Substitute one coke for one glass of water each day.

It is still true that the longest journey starts with the first step. We all have in our own ways had to do some of these things. Believe it or not, it is as simple as deciding to do it, and knowing that it is the best present you'll ever give yourself.
Really great advice Ted. Personally, while I have cut back on cheese I have no plan to completely eliminate it at this time. I do occasionally enjoy a soda as well. The only thing this never worked with, for me, was smoking!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

About the Coke. Have you ever tried Kombucha Tea? I think it has a similar taste, and it's much more healthy.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #22
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Deb, no need to cook if you don't want to. Are there any Trader Joe's, Sprouts or WholeFoods nearby? Check them out, esp TJ, you'd be surprised how inexpensive and non-fussy it can be to eat healthy.

https://www.pinterest.com/whatsgoodattjs/

http://thehumbledhomemaker.com/2015/...at-trader-joes

Last edited by Aerial; November 1, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post

Right On brother.
Here is an indirect problem with diet drinks and artificial sweeteners.
They are many times sweeter than natural sugar.
Your body by dumping this stuff across your taste buds day after day will become desensitized to sugar.
Even good fruit will not be sweet much less bad fruit.

I dont always buy sodas but when I do I buy Mexican sodas with real cane sugar.
Many people dont like them because to them they dont taste sweet.
They are expensive I drink about 6 of them at the very most every 2 months or more.
They have became a treat not a way of life.
As for the other food that people dont like I dont have no idea how they get this way.
Some fish I cant stand and wont eat it others I will wolf it down.
Some of it I will only eat it cooked the right way.
I love tuna but I dont want to turn into a human thermometer.

Sardines are your way out of this mess but you wont eat them.
Last night I had an egg and a small can of sardines with tomatoes and chilies for supper.

By limiting the proteins you eat to ones that also have carbohydrates is not good.
If you are also taking in other carbohydrates in bread and so forth.

You dont have to like to cook or learn to cook to get an idea of what is in food.
Flour is tricky because people eat more of it than they think they do.
Yesterday I made 6 biscuits it took 2 cups of flour to make them.
This means that 3 biscuits are equal to one cup of flour.
Throughout the day I ended up eating three biscuits so yesterdays total intake of flour was one cup.
The total amount of carbohydrates was 95 grams or 31% of my so called dietary intake.
The proteins was 13 grams or 26%.
Along with this I had my own lean breakfast sausage 3 little patties.
For supper it was the sardines and an egg cooked in coconut oil.
I drank two beers 2 cups of coffee and about a gallon of water.
I knew a guy that was trying to lose weight.
I watched what he ate all day.
The next day I asked him if he would eat 5 or 6 cups of flour every day.
He said good lord no way I would be worse than what I am now.
I told him that was just about exactly what he ate yesterday and everyday.
He knew I baked and cooked and he was totally shocked.

Worth
Old November 1, 2015   #24
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

WHOA! Whoever said I see a physical as an invasion of privacy??? I have a great woman doctor and regular checkups including blood tests. I couldn't get my prescriptions refilled if I didn't. Also, if I hadn't seen a doctor I wouldn't know about these various ailments.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for such kind comments and some good tips too. I KNOW I won't let Cokes go. Strangely, I don't like chips anymore, the last few bags went in the trash. I slice radishes for chips now. I'm quite proud of the idea, haha.
No, weight loss is not an issue. Just fatigue and dry skin and a long term case of the blahs and blues. You all rock ! I really appreciate honesty too, those of you who admit to smoking, those who also say they need to make changes.
I shop for my rabbits at our local health and produce store, Sprouts. They get organics only and spring water. And yes, I know Mommy needs to do for herself what she demands for her children!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
WHOA! Whoever said I see a physical as an invasion of privacy??? I have a great woman doctor and regular checkups including blood tests. I couldn't get my prescriptions refilled if I didn't. Also, if I hadn't seen a doctor I wouldn't know about these various ailments.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for such kind comments and some good tips too. I KNOW I won't let Cokes go. Strangely, I don't like chips anymore, the last few bags went in the trash. I slice radishes for chips now. I'm quite proud of the idea, haha.
No, weight loss is not an issue. Just fatigue and dry skin and a long term case of the blahs and blues. You all rock ! I really appreciate honesty too, those of you who admit to smoking, those who also say they need to make changes.
I shop for my rabbits at our local health and produce store, Sprouts. They get organics only and spring water. And yes, I know Mommy needs to do for herself what she demands for her children!
The invasion of privacy go see a doctor was for someone else not you.

My wild rabbits nest in the rosemary and eat nothing but wild organic foods.

Worth
Old November 1, 2015   #26
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Have you heard of the Instant Pot? It makes cooking so easy and so fast that pple who used to not want to cook are cooking more than ever with it! Its an electric pressure cooker but can also work as a slow cooker and steamer etc. You can saute in it and then set it to pressure cook or slow cook. With certain models you can also make yogurt. Its awesome!
Old November 1, 2015   #27
Deborah

Oh ! OK, thanks. And how I LOVE that you don't do something dreadful about your cottontails. I love them-they are always welcome, garden or not. Mine are "house rabbits", the correct term for pet rabbits. All rescues. I never thought of being a rabbit Mom-never thought of rabbits at all really, but when I saw what I later learned are called "Easter Dumps" I used my cat carrier as a trap and got them in safely, then went online to learn how to take care of them. I never dreamed that they're like little quiet dogs-moods, cute things, emotions and all. So now here I am... The Crazy Rabbit Lady...
Old November 1, 2015   #28
Deborah

Luigi, looks like we posted at the same time. My answer was for Worth. Thanks-that sounds like a great idea! And I've been thinking of a slow cooker filled with potatoes and other vegetables.
Old November 1, 2015   #29
Deborah

Worth, I get those good cane sugar Cokes in the glass bottles too. Talk about wonderful. They're a sometimes treat-usually I buy generic diet cola.
Old November 1, 2015   #30
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

It's hard to steer the ship in a different direction, but not impossible.

We all fall apart sooner or later, but from what I've seen, good food down your gullet helps make it more of a precipitous decline, and not the slow, insidious, chronic, piece-by-piece decline that processed foods inflict. Eating poorly and feeling poorly is a connection most miss, happy you've arrived at it.

Since it seems you have aversions to certain foods, have you considered sitting down with a nutritionist so she/he can help you figure out how to structure and better manage your food intake in the face of all your commitments. They have some good suggestions.

And I know this might sound like a Ward Cleaver-era suggestion, but have you considered a cooking class? You might meet some good people and can learn new skills. It's never too late.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote