Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 1, 2015   #31
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Thank you Gerardo-that's what my doctor advised-a class ! Worth, and also Carolyn K, see what I mean about the blahs? I didn't even see that Carolyn K meant that SHE doesn't want to see a doctor. That's the fatigue, just tiredly reading and not being focused. Now it's my turn to say something-Carolyn K, please get a checkup! And yes, I'd love some of that soup! Actually, a good nourishing pot of soup and vegetables in the sow cooker could really help, couldn't it? All I'd have to do is warm a bowl in the microwave and have water or even orange juice with it. I do like good orange juice, the ones not from concentrate.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #32
Deborah

Gerardo, when I see photos, like your son in the garden, news stories of kids learning about growing food, schools with gardens, educating kids on growing and eating good things, I always rejoice. I know it's "physician heal thyself"... Oops. And maybe, "Do what I say" and "Because I said so!" On the bright side, I get points for caring !
Old November 1, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just last night I saw a short infomercial about an electric pressure cooker.
I have like four or five slow cookers (Crock Pots) in the house.
I also have my old Kook Kwick pressure canner/cooker.
These new electric pressure cookers are the bomb(no pun intended).
You can put food in them set timers and all sorts of stuff.
Where it takes hours to cook a good roast you can do it in an hour and the darn things shut themselves off.
Pressure cooking is one of the best ways to cook stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #34
Deborah

For supper tonight I stuck some cherry tomatoes in refried beans and called it taco salad. See what I mean about cooking-I wouldn't even heat the beans.
Old November 1, 2015   #35
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Deborah... while you are breathing there is hope. keep up wanting to eat better. Beans and tomatoes were a better choice than deli meat and a bag of cookies. Wanting to change and admitting you need to change is the first step... in my humble know-nothing opinion to starting the process to eating healthier. Keep it up. Dinner invite is always there. stop in and sit down with us any day.
Old November 1, 2015   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had chicken wings cream style corn and two homemade chocolate muffins.
I now have 10 chocolate muffins I have no use for.
Also out of chicken wings.
Ten dollars worth of wings have fed me for a week.

Worth
Old November 2, 2015   #37
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Deborah, we sound a lot alike. I'm not going to kid you, I could eat a lot better than I do, but I don't really like to cook much either. I have a FEW decent habits I've picked up, though. Green Giant Healthy Vision veggies (they have a light "butter" sauce but I like to add a little extra salt and pepper and Italian Seasoning), which cook in a pouch in the microwave in five minutes. Fresh apples in season, cut in wedges with either natural peanut butter as a dip or a few thin slices of cheddar. Hard boiled eggs. Bananas. Baby carrots, dipped in a little bit of ranch if you have to. Ditto the bag salad. Try the baby greens and mix in a few basil leaves. I also really enjoy black beans and cannellini beans. I tend to allow myself a little incentive to eat fruits and veggies, hence veggies in "butter sauce", peanut butter with apples, etc. I know it's not what a dietitian would feed me, but otherwise I'm not sure I'd eat them at all.

I was very, very addicted to diet soda out of a can. I drank one can after another, always with a can in my hand. I tried unsuccessfully to cut down. Then I just bought LaCroix or store brand carbonated water in cans. It tasted way different, but the habit itself of grabbing a can every little while didn't change. I got used to the taste and I really enjoy it now, and I'm actually okay without the soda. Thought I would share that in case you did ever decide to quit.

ContainerTed is right about not trying to change all your habits at once. One or two at a time, they're a lot more likely to stick. I wish you the very best of luck and hope you're able to make some changes that you like and feel good about.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #38
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I like the ideas about the slow cookers and pressure cookers. I have and use both and agree with Worth, the new electric pressure cookers are great. You can make wonderfully tasting and nutritious stock for soups very easily in either. Or you can make simple veg stews etc. It sounds like you eat chicken once in a while? A few pieces of chicken and a jar of pasta sauce or gravy in a slow cooker is an easy meal. Add rice or pasta and your good to go.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #39
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Gerardo, when I see photos, like your son in the garden, news stories of kids learning about growing food, schools with gardens, educating kids on growing and eating good things, I always rejoice. I know it's "physician heal thyself"... Oops. And maybe, "Do what I say" and "Because I said so!" On the bright side, I get points for caring !
The goal is for him to eat better than I did. I figure if these tastes are imprinted on him early, and even though he's likely to reject them during his teenage years, they'll come back later with a vengeance.

As long as your trying to eat better, it'll help you when making those important small choices that add up, good or bad. Hot Pocket vs anything else, crinkly plastic vs peeling something, diet vs regular.

RE diet sodas. I think your body is better off with regular sugar (like the Mexican cokes with cane sugar) than aspartame. It wreaks havoc on your metabolic pathways, plus it tastes awful. That lingering after taste is worse than a shot of Southern Comfort.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw a news show where a guy went out and bought regular doughnuts and pastries.
He had a pile of boxes made up with his product name on them and everything.
The boxes had so and so Fat Free bakery and doughnuts or some such thing on them.
He would then take the regular doughnuts and put them in the boxes and sell them to offices and businesses around town.
I think it was New York.
People were sucking them up he was making a ton of money and they were gaining weight.
And then one day they found out.
They were as mad as all get out.
They interviewed them for the show.
I have to hand it to the guy for the ingeniousness of it all.
Really a fat free doughnut that tastes good there is no such thing.

If I were the judge I would have went to my cambers and laughed my tail off.
I would have then came back slapped the guy with a $400 fine and told him to not do it again.

It would be like selling beer that said it made you feel drunk but telling you, you could pass a sobriety test.

Worth
Old November 2, 2015   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is the electric pressure cooker I saw on TV I have no idea if it is any good or if the company is worth a hoot.

Worth

https://youtu.be/U0W9ClYLZok
Old November 2, 2015   #42
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I saw a news show where a guy went out and bought regular doughnuts and pastries.
He had a pile of boxes made up with his product name on them and everything.
The boxes had so and so Fat Free bakery and doughnuts or some such thing on them.
He would then take the regular doughnuts and put them in the boxes and sell them to offices and businesses around town.
I think it was New York.
People were sucking them up he was making a ton of money and they were gaining weight.
And then one day they found out.
They were as mad as all get out.
They interviewed them for the show.
I have to hand it to the guy for the ingeniousness of it all.
Really a fat free doughnut that tastes good there is no such thing.

If I were the judge I would have went to my cambers and laughed my tail off.
I would have then came back slapped the guy with a $400 fine and told him to not do it again.

It would be like selling beer that said it made you feel drunk but telling you, you could pass a sobriety test.

Worth
Exactly like the fat free yogurt in the Seinfeld episode!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
Exactly like the fat free yogurt in the Seinfeld episode!
I got a kick out of that one.
That show was one of the very very few sit-coms I ever watched and liked.
A real original classic.

Come to think of it it seems like this episode came out around the same time as the New York fat free doughnut scam was going on.
Did Seinfeld get the idea from that or did the guy that did the scam get the idea from Seinfeld?

Worth
Old November 2, 2015   #44
Deborah

I really appreciate all of you and that you're taking the time to offer support, suggestions and kindness. Believe me, I'm paying attention! I have some pineapple Greek yogurt and an apple tonight for supper. For some weird reason I'm craving cornbread muffins with real blueberries in them. Pssst! Pssst! Don't tell Worth (or my rabs) but I'll buy the Jiffy cornbread mix and snitch a few of my rabbits' blueberries and stir up a batch. In my world this is baking!
Old November 2, 2015   #45
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I really appreciate all of you and that you're taking the time to offer support, suggestions and kindness. Believe me, I'm paying attention! I have some pineapple Greek yogurt and an apple tonight for supper. For some weird reason I'm craving cornbread muffins with real blueberries in them. Pssst! Pssst! Don't tell Worth (or my rabs) but I'll buy the Jiffy cornbread mix and snitch a few of my rabbits' blueberries and stir up a batch. In my world this is baking!

Sounds like a great dinner. Baby steps!

And as someone suggested, if there is a Trader Joe's nearby, check out their products as the tend to have a lot less of the cr*p than the supermarket stuff at a very competitive price. They have a very good cornbread mix!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote