Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 3, 2015   #61
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

If you crave chocolate at all I make a "fudge" with butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder or lindt dark chocolate plus some stevia or maple syrup (usually a bit of both to cut down the carbs) and freeze it in bite size pieces for those once a month cravings.
Just google: keto chocolate or chocolate fat bomb or paleo chocolate for recipes.

Baked stuff is harder for me to give up than chips. I like carrot chips and cucumber slices better now. Or a couple pickles will fill that salt and crunch craving.

Have you ever baked with almond flour or coconut flour? I've been using that to replace flour in recipes. You still have to cut down on intake but at least the carbs are less.
I like to make up a coconut cookie dough in a tube, freeze, and then slice off 4 cookies at a time to bake.
You can google "mug cake" recipes for small portion cakes with regular flour, whole grain flours, gluten free options, low carb options, diabetic options etc. Just search for what you want. It literally is just enough cake for a few bites. It's great for cravings that just won't quit!

You can mix natural peanut or almond butter, coconut flour or unsweetened flakes, and dark chocolate chips. Scoop into balls and freeze for "cookie dough" bites.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Also beware of stuff that says doctor recommended.
This means nothing.
Doctor of what, Philosophy?

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #63
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Deborah, here's a handy tool for making the "healthy noodles".

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Active...dp/B00MG6ZEZM/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
How do you make zucchini noodles?
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just did a little research about palm oil and the environment.
Yet again the well intended anti petroleum folks strike out with a curve ball.
Everyone jumps on the Bio diesel wagon and look what they get.
Palm oil plantations, poor Orangutans and other critters.
They want plant based fuel and low cholesterol by devil we'll give it to them.
Fire up the D-9 Cats and the chainsaws boys we have a forest to cut down.
Somebody move that family of apes out of the way.
Worth
Old November 3, 2015   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
See what I mean? only the very best for us.

Thanks Worth for all you know and explain to us. I appreciate it. . otherwise I wouldn't (most likely) go looking for the information.
Thanks I didn't know anyone cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Worth, I am under the impression that the corn crop grown in this country is heavily GMO and heavily sprayed much like soy. Likely heavily processed as well. I like corn chips (with melted CHEESE of course =) and corn tortillas but wonder how much nutritional value may remain in these. I occasionally can find and purchase organic corn chips.
You have to make corn tortillas and or chips to get s full grasp on what you are eating.
It takes one corn tortilla to make four tortilla chips.
You are at the Mexican restaurant and any good one they are unlimited with all the salsa you can eat.
A serving is about ten chips or 2-1/2 tortillas.
The calories are around 140 calories from fat about 60.
Carbohydrates about 19 grams.

A normal Aztec or Zapotec meal will consist of two to three tortillas with some chili peppers and a bit of meat vegetables or egg in them.

The original enchilada was not a Texas TX-Mex invention contrary to popular belief.
It was a simple corn tortilla rolled up and dipped in chili sauce/salsa.

Americans notably like things jumbo sized the more and bigger the better.

This is our downfall not so much as the food we eat, (Not including processed food).

Today's lunch.
Two little cornbread muffins with chilies in them and one cup of chili beans.
Always water.

Worth
Old November 3, 2015   #66
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

You all continue to impress me with your kindness. I'm making notes of everything. One thing I do cook is dry lima beans, cooked down to a thick stew and topped with butter and chopped green onions. That was lunch and supper today. And cane sugar Coke.
I really like the ideas-things I've never thought of, and so helpful too.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #67
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quick and easy chicken or fish.... I use chicken tenderloins or breasts cut in half for the chicken or tilapia filets for the fish.. Use whatever you like, though.

1/2 cup potato flakes
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese grated or ground ( I just buy the stuff in the bottle with the shaker lid)
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste.
Mix together and dredge your meat in it or sprinkle it on so you aren't contaminating the mix and use only what you need and store the rest in the freezer/fridge.
drizzle with melted coconut oil (or butter if that is what you have)
Bake at 350* until done. the less you are baking the less time it will take. I usually do enough for 6 people and I bake it about 30 minutes or until it is done which really depends on the size of each piece ( baking on parchment paper is the easiest).
Old November 3, 2015   #68
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Another thing you can add to your arsenal is smoKed applewood sea salt.

I initially judged it a fad, but I tried a few different ones and they truly impart a complex flavor profile with just one ingredient. The one I use is this one: http://www.soyparrillero.mx/marca_smp?product_id=563
but there's lots of options on amazon too.

@Worth: have you tried them?
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #69
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Another thing you can add to your arsenal is smoKed applewood sea salt.

I initially judged it a fad, but I tried a few different ones and they truly impart a complex flavor profile with just one ingredient. The one I use is this one: http://www.soyparrillero.mx/marca_smp?product_id=563
but there's lots of options on amazon too.

@Worth: have you tried them?
No I haven't but that has to be $119.99 Pesos, right $7.27 US dollars.

Worth
Old November 3, 2015   #70
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lintels and split peas are very easy to cook. And the good thing is that you can flavor them in any way you can possibly think about. You can add BBQ sauce, or Taco Bell Sauce, or caramels, or whatever you can think of. You can do this with any legume. People have been doing this for...ever.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #71
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
No I haven't but that has to be $119.99 Pesos, right $7.27 US dollars.

Worth
Yes. It would have to be pretty exotic to command that price in USD. They also have those slabs of salt you can put on top of the grill. I can picture a decent fish on top of the slab, http://www.soyparrillero.mx/marca_smp?product_id=575

But back to the topic, if you'd like Deborah, PM your address and I can send you a sample of the applewood smoked sea salt. It'll definitely make some of your cooking adventures more interesting.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2015   #72
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You have to make corn tortillas and or chips to get s full grasp on what you are eating.
It takes one corn tortilla to make four tortilla chips.
You are at the Mexican restaurant and any good one they are unlimited with all the salsa you can eat.
A serving is about ten chips or 2-1/2 tortillas.
The calories are around 140 calories from fat about 60.
Carbohydrates about 19 grams.

A normal Aztec or Zapotec meal will consist of two to three tortillas with some chili peppers and a bit of meat vegetables or egg in them.

Americans notably like things jumbo sized the more and bigger the better.

This is our downfall not so much as the food we eat, (Not including processed food).
Definitely, Worth. I think the reason telling people to start cooking meals helps so much because you realize what exactly goes into those meals! I remember making cola in 4-H and my eyes getting bigger with each heaping tablespoon of sugar we added. Yuck! I still drank soda though until my husband and I both cut it for almost a year.
Making french fries or chips sure takes a LONG time to cut up all those potatoes. You don't want to eat the whole batch after all that work!

I make my own tortillas too. You don't eat a half dozen tacos if you have to roll out each tortilla! Just made them last night, each had 3 tortillas stuffed with a bit of meat and queso crumbled cheese and loaded with lettuce, cabbage, and avocado...and of course tomatoes. Yummy!

We have the best Mexican restaurant in town. My favorite meal there is 2 tacos (just meat, cheese and guacamole in a SMALL tortilla) and rice and beans. Never liked beans until I had theirs. They make theirs from scratch and now I use their recipe all the time.

We did very low carb for about a year because we both needed to lose a lot of weight. Husband lost 100 pounds, I lost 40. I still need to lose another 40 according to the BMI chart but we're back eating (some) carbs. Just being careful not to overdo it like we both used to.

Another thing that makes me shudder is over-hearing parents tell their kids to finish their plates or else. Nope, nope, nope. Then as adults you have to relearn your body's cues of hunger because you're taught to ignore them as kids! It's hard! I'm learning that now!

This conversation has made me realize we're both drinking too much diet soda again. (I swear those old habits just creep back up! ) Time to start making iced tea with stevia and a bit of real cane sugar again and remember my water bottle everywhere I go.

Have you ever tried blue or green masa corn flour? I think that looks like fun!

Last edited by BackyardFarm; November 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 4, 2015   #73
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

"You have to make corn tortillas and or chips to get s full grasp on what you are eating.
It takes one corn tortilla to make four tortilla chips."

Thanks good point Worth. By the time you take heavily salted commercial chips fried in who knows what kind of oil then add salty salsa its just too much. I do try not to each a bunch of crops I know are heavily "Round-Up ready" anyway but who can live without nachos and enchiladas???
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2015   #74
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
They also have those slabs of salt you can put on top of the grill. I can picture a decent fish on top of the slab, http://www.soyparrillero.mx/marca_smp?product_id=575
Oh! I've seen those and they look AMAZING.

I'm thinking whole trout or a slab of salmon would be so tasty.
Old November 4, 2015   #75
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant make a corn tortilla to save my life I need a press or something.
My other option is to try it with the fresh Masa they have in the refrigerated section that is wet.
As for the Blue masa I have had some here when my wife was alive because she was on the blue corn thing.
It was corn meal not flour.
They sell a blue product but I dont see it at the store even though it is made by the same company I buy mine from.
It is called Masa Harina Azul, azul meaning blue in Spanish.
Some of the colored corn toastadas you see are artificially colored you have to be on the lookout for it.

Worth