Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 25, 2016   #31
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Mayo used to make me gag, too.

When I was a kid, I used to find jars of mayo in our garage pantry. I'd take the jar out behind the garage and just sit there eating it with a big spoon ! This went on for quite a while until one day it just hit me that I no longer liked mayo and even the thought of it turned my stomach . It's just been in the past 10 years or so that I like it in some sandwiches, but it has to be Best Foods or homemade mayo. Hate Miracle Whip BTW - but to each his own .

BTW, in my mayo feasting days, I'd eat what I could and put the jar back in the garage panty for the next time. It's a wonder I never got food poisoning. My parents must have known what I was doing, but no one ever said anything to me about it. Sort of odd, now that I think about it......

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi,

Mayo used to make me gag, too.

When I was a kid, I used to find jars of mayo in our garage pantry. I'd take the jar out behind the garage and just sit there eating it with a big spoon ! This went on for quite a while until one day it just hit me that I no longer liked mayo and even the thought of it turned my stomach . It's just been in the past 10 years or so that I like it in some sandwiches, but it has to be Best Foods or homemade mayo. Hate Miracle Whip BTW - but to each his own .

BTW, in my mayo feasting days, I'd eat what I could and put the jar back in the garage panty for the next time. It's a wonder I never got food poisoning. My parents must have known what I was doing, but no one ever said anything to me about it. Sort of odd, now that I think about it......

Anne
You can no more get food poisoning from Mayo left out than you can eating a jar of pickles or ketchup left out.
Mayonnaise isn't processed in any way and the seal on the jar is just there to protect it from tampering.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just want to clarify my above statement.
If anyone wants just google Mayonnaise Myth.

I had a thread here on the subject saw it yesterday but now I cant find it.
I think the deal is that I can only search back 5 pages.

Worth
Old June 26, 2016   #34
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I finally found out why all the fast food joints put mayo on their burgers and sammiches. Since it is essentially an oil suspension mayo is waterproof, and protects the (often cheap) bread from dissolving due to the liquids in the sammich contents. Good enough reason for me. I no longer ask them to "hold the mayo".

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #35
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Thanks.. .thanks a lot.

I've got some tomatoes on a plane right now heading my way, form Carolina. BLT's tonight. So excited.

Got the bacon....spotted a tiny jar of Hellman's in the back of a pantry shelf. Disgusting. It separated and the white is hard. (dated 2012). I don't use much mayo

Just tried to make some with same spice as jared...(watched y-tube 'how its made')
I know how to make my own but don't have eggs. Not about to go back out to a grocery...busy in the yard.
Used plain greek yogurt, some fetta, lemon, ac vinegar, some spice...paprika, mustard powder, sriracha, drizzle oil in a small cuisinart...disgusting.
Usually good at putting sauces together. Looks like an OrangeJulius and tastes like liquid orange jello...oh well.
I'll use avocado. Got that.

Made a german style potato salad last night as a trial for the up-coming 4th weekend.
Fantastic. Sautéed slivers of leek, shallot, garlic, etc. Added chopped celery and olives.
Tossed in a mustard vinaigrette. Might use toasted pecans and diced red pepper next week...chopped cilantro garnish.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I finally found out why all the fast food joints put mayo on their burgers and sammiches. Since it is essentially an oil suspension mayo is waterproof, and protects the (often cheap) bread from dissolving due to the liquids in the sammich contents. Good enough reason for me. I no longer ask them to "hold the mayo".
When I was 16 and worked at Wendy's, my training video about how to put toppings on a burger was a ridiculous music video with the chorus White, Red...AND GREEN! White, Red....AND GREEN! It went on and on.

Mayo was the first white, then ketchup on the other bun half, and then lettuce, I think, followed by onion, tomato, and pickles.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I count one yes one person in all ,my life that made a burger the way or better than it looked in the pictuer.
It was a teenage boy in Austin that worked at Burger King.
If he would have been a young man not in high school I would have hired him on the spot and trained him in our work.

The condiments were spread evenly across the bun everything was placed nice and neatly and it wasn't mashed down.

Worth
Old June 26, 2016   #38
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I use a light spreading of ranch dressing on BLT's. But globs of it on salad, no way! I want to thank everyone for your recipes and tips. So now I can have my cake, er, potato salad and coleslaw, and eat it too! Sans mayo of course!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #39
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Sour Slaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slaw.JPG (57.6 KB, 35 views)
Old June 27, 2016   #40
Deborah

Thanks! But why is the dressing boiled? Why not mix it and pour it on and mix again?
Old June 27, 2016   #41
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Boiling will drive off some of the acidity of the vinegar, ensure that the salt and sugar (especially) is dissolved, and soften the cabbage and onion a little.

Try it.

BTW, I'd like to hear more about the kitties that you are Mom of...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #42
Deborah

Oh, I see. I wondered about heating the mixture. Thanks. Four of them are rabbits, two are cats. They're all rescues. My family!
It's nice of you to ask.
Old June 27, 2016   #43
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Deborah, have you ever thought about moving away from Cali? A Place where it is never hot?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #44
Deborah

Yes. Too old to though.
Old June 28, 2016   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Your never too old.
Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies moved >>>>To<<<< California when she was older than you.

Worth