Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 28, 2016   #46
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I make mayo using olive oil and lemon juice. It's quick and simple, and store-bought doesn't even compare. I don't use it on everything, but it is great in potato salad. I add rosemary and roasted garlic. Use just enough mayo to bind the ingredients. I sometimes sprinkle on some bacon, pancetta, or dry-cured Spanish chorizo.

The EVOO mayo is what makes it. That said, I have also made potato salad with straight up olive oil, which is the traditional Italian method, but quite different from typical American potato salad. Lots of recipes online.

I also like to make a potato salad with sour cream, which is what I am usually requested to make when I have to bring a dish. Load it up with chives or green onion instead of rosemary.

I've tried greek yogurt, which I often use as a sour cream substitute for Mexican dishes, but it's not my favorite in a potato salad.

I wonder how many people that don't care for mayo have tried home-made? I personally avoid any products that include unhealthy canola and soybean oils, which rules out a lot of commercial dressings.

Last edited by fonseca; June 28, 2016 at 02:18 AM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #47
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Thanks! But why is the dressing boiled? Why not mix it and pour it on and mix again?
Its just a old recipe Mom made a couple of times. It was alright. It might be fine just tossed. I just Googled "sweet cabbage slaw" and the first two links are fresh cabbage tossed with honey or sugar with vinegar, and one with lime, sesame and cilantro, lots of interesting options out there

Last edited by decherdt; June 28, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #48
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I hafta admit that just mixing and then mixing the mix (huh?) into the coleslaw sounds fresher and crunchier.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote