Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 25, 2016   #16
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
1) Clears the sinuses
2) Focuses the mind wonderfully
3) Produces endorphines by the bucketload
4) Mental health: Nothing else seems as bad as it used to
5) Very high in vitamin C
6) One of the few preventatives for prostate and other cancers
7) Bragging rights
8) They make dandy Halloween "candies"

Hmmmm #3 might be worth it.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #17
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
On an academic side note, that trademark claim of theirs is pretty weak.
Aha! Do I detect an esquire?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #18
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I call that IP bug spray.
Doesn't really protect the IP owner, but is a low level deterrent to would be infringers.

"IP Bug Spray" tm that is.
Old July 25, 2016   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Aha! Do I detect an esquire?
I think that title means that one actually has the state license to practice. I'm just a JD (juvenile delinquent, perhaps).

IP law is Federal, and thus not on the state bar exam, so a lot of law students are not that interested in the topic. Fewer of them enroll in the classes, and the professors are grateful to have the few students they get, so they tended to be more generous about giving good grades. I needed all the GPA help I could get, so I took all the IP classes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

IP / Software was the only law class I ever took. I really enjoyed it and did well, but decided that law school just didn't make economic sense since I was already a highly paid professional software geek. My brother did it, though. He keeps telling me that I'd make a heck of a lawyer. I'm not entirely sure that he likes me.
Old July 25, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How did we get from peppers to snakes.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #22
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

You know, Nematode suggested jalapeno and cherry peppers in his recipe. It looks like the rest of us took it to the next level. I made some jalapeno poppers with a similar recipe for the Super Bowl a couple of years ago except it also included breading the peppers. They were hot enough to shut down everybody who ate them (they were delicious). You can jack up the scovilles if you want with more vicious peppers, but that eliminates most "unbroken" folks from enjoying them. There are levels of hot pepper eating that are attained like degrees of belts in martial arts. You really have to get into them to appreciate the nuances and physical experiences you have with them. You just need to go at your own speed.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #23
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I bread all my poppers - lightly. My stuffing is considerably more complex than Nematode's though, with yellow cheeses, herbs, and dried spices. No bacon. Bacon just distracts from the more subtle pepper and stuffing flavors. Then deep fry, or maybe bake.

What most tenderfeet (tendertongues?) don't get is that once you get a good burn going, the burn essentially fades to background noise.* Then you can really taste the pepper. For instance, bhut jolokia has the distinct flavor of berries .. once you get past the oral destruction phase.**

I have had a little luck coaching noobs to take a step beyond the shock and awe. But it is something that you have to discuss ahead of time. None of this, "Here, try these!" --beat-- "You bastid! Are you trying to kill me?"

* Our endorphins at work and play?

** You can get the taste from a fresh pepper in the few seconds before your soft palate melts and runs down over your lower molars.

Btw, love the martial arts analogy. Can I steal it?

- Will Rogers

Old July 25, 2016   #24
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
How did we get from peppers to snakes.
Hey! Watch it. Them's family.

- Will Rogers

Old July 25, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hey! Watch it. Them's family.
Gottom in mine too.

Worth
Old July 26, 2016   #26
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Why?

Quote:
. . . bhut jolokia has the distinct flavor of berries . . .
Interesting. My heat-tolerance level may not have yet allowed me to discern that note.

Bhut is what I believe I posted, early, in support of what was then a lonely thread. (I've been shooting for peaches and getting reds.) The plants seem tough and prolific; the heat is clean (little to no Chinense "skunk"); and the mixed species—Chinense x frutescens—is interesting.

Six- and seven-figure Scoville chiles (all or most came in trades) are not really my culinary wheelhouse, but I've found some of the plants to be nearly heroic in their growth, recovery, and survivabilities, with big, dimpled leaves and knobby, fluted fruit. I'm scared of them but also charmed by them.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #27
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Default Upping heat tolerance

I like a long slow burn, but have not really moved my heat level up. No other fam members can tolerate any heat.
It seems there is a razors edge between "most enjoyable" and "too hot", and its different for everyone.

Ok so I like the heat and am looking to dive deeper, whats the best way?
Will this path cause a deep divide in my family leading to marital strife and psychological damage to children?
Old July 26, 2016   #28
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I'm just to the habanero level of being able to enjoy heat. Frankly, that's hotter than most folks I encounter can tolerate, and it is quite hot. All peppers have varying heat even within the same type. I don't even have any habs this year so I'm just cruising among jalapenos, Santa Fe Grandes, and some pretty hot green chiles...Barker Sandia, and Big Jim. I've got a bunch of new for me peppers I don't know what to expect, that include San Pedro Sweet, Chapeau du Frade, Caribbean Seasoning pepper, and the Artisan Aji's.

You can add your peppers to salsas and sauces, or blend with sour cream and garlic, or cream cheese and garlic. This helps dilute the burn. I mixed a bunch of habaneros with sour cream, garlic and a bit of sugar and it was exceptionally tasty. I blended the mix to a pudding consistency.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #29
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

My brother b|tches and moans about heat in his food, but his objections are, shall we say, "flexible". I will make some queso that even I think it pretty warm, and he will come in and chow down. I'm sure that, objectively, it lights him up. Subjectively, he loves queso. And it is hard to justify complaining about someone else's food. You may be experiencing something similar.

Now, as for upping your own tolerance, I'd say, "More of the same, for starters." If you make poppers, keep some of the fresh peppers for munching. Get some really hot sauce and add heat to some of the later bites. Then add heat to the first bites. This actually a fairly complex subject. Check this thread:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28196-...eat-tolerance/

- Will Rogers

Old July 26, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Finley chopped habs not seeds in ice cream.

Worth