Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 31, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default French Fries

The other day, we bought a 5 pound bag of russet potatoes. There were 9 potatoes in the bag and all were a half pound or so. Today, I'm cooking hamburgers and French fries and want to try cooking the fries a little different.

I found this site http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/pot...ench-Fries.htm

How do you all cook French fries?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #2
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I also do the pre fry method and it works great. You can also boil the potatoes whole and slice them when they're cool, they fry up crispy.

I recently bought a commercial potato slicer and I will say that having them all the same size makes a difference too. Here's what I bought http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choi.../40747713.html

And here's my next toy I want http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avan...%20%20120.html
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Even when we buy a five pound bag of frozen French fries, we have a technique for cooking them that produces the best results for us. We always look for the "restaurant style". These are usually already partially browned. While the fries and oil are still at room temp, we put them together and then plug in the frier. Doing it this way has produced markedly less "grease" on the paper towels we set them on out of the cooker.

Being lazy in the kitchen, when we make fries from raw potatoes, we usually have "skillet fries" which go well with breakfast and brunch. But, not too often for these. They are always cooked in an iron skillet with canola oil.

Back in the early 1960's, When I lived in Washington State, I had the opportunity to watch the process for producing commercial fries.

From the field, they wash, blanch, and then skin. Then they rinse again, slice, water soak and blanch, water soak and rinsed multiple times, and then fried in oil for about 1-3 minutes. Then they are quick frozen, QC'd one last time, and packaged. I was only a half hour drive from one of the largest potato processing plants anywhere. We used to to go down there for part time jobs around the grounds and they would make sure we had a 20 pound box of freshly frozen fries when we finished. Oh, yeah, we also got paid for our work.

Today, that same plant is the primary producer of French fries for McDonalds. Things are done slightly different today, but the process still gets the starch levels low and the blanching and brief frying steps are still essential. I really like my French fries. But, if I've gotta use raw potatoes, then most of the time I'll just take mine baked.

BTW, you can use this same method of preparing the raw potatoes to make string-type hash browns, and use a mandolin to do the cutting and get great shoestring style.

Good luck, Robert. It's a lot of trouble and time to do it like the commercial houses, but if you hit the formula just right, it's worth it in the flavor you get.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont use a deep fryer too make french fries I use a cast iron skillet.
I almost pulled the trigger on a deep fryer but held back because I would deep frying fire wood.
And yes I cook them two to three times and I learned this on my own through observation.
I also got tired of soggy fries so I started cooking them on low heat and then as I was eating them I put them back in the oil at high heat shock them and cook them the rest of the way.
Next comment is I make Belgium fries and I use almost exclusively mayonnaise instead of ketchup as a condiment.

Lodge makes a deeper skillet for frying chicken I have wanted for a long time.
https://www.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/deep-skillets.asp

I also use my cast iron dutch oven to fry food in sometimes but not if it is only going to be me.

Final thoughts.
Regardless of the instructions you will have to fool around with it.
Then when you think you have it right you wont because it depends on the potato variety and the age of the potato.

A good red potato cooked in beef tallow is fantastic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I killed the french fries thread.

Worth
Old July 31, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Closest I get at home I'd oven roasted potatoes.

I only eat French Fries when eating out if they come with my meal AND the place has malt vinegar to put on them. If there's no malt vinegar, I substitute onion rings.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Cut Russet potatoes into 6 wedges, skin on, toss in a light coating of olive oil. Put the flat cut sides down in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle on kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, fresh rosemary. Roast in a 425F oven for 30 minutes. So crunchy!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

In a rush, I use Ore-ida Steak Fries====Money

Growing up in Louisiana we always ate rice with meals, we also had potatoes and beans so we were on a starch overload. Spending 24 years in the Seabees taught me to love potatoes a little more. I spent some time in Greece and they had a dish with roast beef or roasted pork served with steak fries that was awesome. So simple but good comfort food.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There were two groups of the Navy that the Marines treated as brothers when I was in.
Navy Corpsmen and SeaBee's.
Worth
Old July 31, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our French fries didn't get cooked tonight. Instead we had, 'Here watch my kids while we go to Red Lobster.' Our grandchildren like those frozen store brand French fry-like crinkle cuts.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I've been looking at the Lodge deep skillets too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #11
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I killed the french fries thread.

Worth
I use cast iron too, Worth. A deep chicken fryer, and a regular cast iron skillet. I also cut fries by hand and I'm pretty good at it.

I first cut my fries, and soak in cold water until I'm ready to use them, from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

When I'm ready to fry them, I drain them well, and drop them by small batches into 350 degree lard. I fry them until they are just tender with the surface just starting to blister, but still not brown. I then dip that batch out to a second skillet to rest, while I fry another batch the same way. When all have been fried and in the second skillet resting, I heat the lard to 360 degrees or a little higher.

Then I drop the precooked fries back in to the hot lard in small batches again. It don't take long this time, they turn deep golden brown in a minute or two. They are then removed to paper and satled with flake salt while they are still hot. Heat the lard back to 360, and drop another batch in. Repeat until done.

My kids would bring pizza boxes in when they were running around. I found the boxes when halved were perfect for draining the finished fries.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cut fries like it was a log in a saw mill.
I cut the side off so I have a flat place to set the potato on.
Then without separating I start cutting slabs as thick as I want.
Then I remove one slice off the side so I now have two flat sides.
The potato is rotated so that flat side is down and the cuts are horizontal.
Then I start cutting again the potato is now cut up into square french fries of the thickness I want.

Worth
Old August 1, 2016   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I bought my mom and stepdad a fry cutter last Christmas. I don't think they have ever used it. It look like this:
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Yum.... French fries with mayo, but even better is with nice hot homemade brown gravy all over them. : )

Any of you ever use those baby fryers, the ones that sit on your counter for making ff's ? Wonder how they work.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Yum.... French fries with mayo, but even better is with nice hot homemade brown gravy all over them. : )

Any of you ever use those baby fryers, the ones that sit on your counter for making ff's ? Wonder how they work.
We had a fry daddy years ago and I have no idea where it went but it was a pain to mess with as are most of the cheaper counter top deep fryers.
At least for me.
There are a couple I was looking at that have valves on them and a filter.

I almost pulled the trigger on this thing.
http://www.waringpro.com/catalog.php...product_id=548
Worth