Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 12, 2017   #16
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Doesn't Bolognese have peas? I doubt that there's a case in Texas involving peas in chili, most likely because the Court Clerk would be laughing too hard to accept the paperwork.

So have you had your bros' venison chili?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #17
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Never heard of Bolognese with peas, but I am sure you could. It is basically a thick meat sauce but it does have wine in it. No veggies except the onion, celery, carrot that is sauteed until it is dark mushy and tomatoes, which you can't see, and meat slow simmered. I have not tried my brother's venison Chili, as I tried venison once and did not care for it. I prefer beef. I must admit I have only made it with ground meats, not the kind with chunks of cut meat. To me Chili is ground beef, only because that is how I grew up eating it. Now though, I usually use half ground beef and half Italian sausage, which might be a greater sin than the beans to some, lol. I suspect venison is an acquired taste. Kind of like the first time I made meatballs with ground beef, pork and veal. Didn't think I cared for it but decided I would just use up ones I had made and frozen. By the time I was done, I had become accustomed to the new taste and loved them! But to me Chili is comfort food and I tend to go back to what I am used to. If I find a good deal on a large cut of meat that would be good for Chili I might try that, too. Does everyone start the Chili with Onion, green pepper and celery?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #18
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

In chili, the identity of the meat "is not important". I've had some amazing road kill chili. (No I didn't ask, but I later found pictures involving a young deer.)

Seriously, I understand the "acquired taste" part of venison. But in chili I seriously doubt that you'd be able to identify the meat. It kinda melds into this global "meaty" impression. And it would make your brother so happy.

Sufficient guilt?

- Will Rogers

Old February 12, 2017   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Nope, no peas in any bolognese recipe I've ever seen.

It tends to be more along the line of a really rich beef stew in which the vegetables are put in at the beginning and pretty much disappear by the time the meat is falling apart tender.

I've seen a lot of people confuse bolognese with ragu, but they are totally different. I think chili on spaghetti is probably closer to a ragu sauce.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Nope, no peas in any bolognese recipe I've ever seen.

It tends to be more along the line of a really rich beef stew in which the vegetables are put in at the beginning and pretty much disappear by the time the meat is falling apart tender.

I've seen a lot of people confuse bolognese with ragu, but they are totally different. I think chili on spaghetti is probably closer to a ragu sauce.
Wiki says that bolognese is a type of gagu.
Not saying they are right but just saying that is what is says.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #21
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Made a nice rich bone/beef broth Friday. That means chili. I've been out of my freezer chili stash for a while. I freeze in pint containers and can use it straight up or add to a
Mexican soup, for pasta, chili dogs, tacos, or stretch it with lots of veggies, rice and beans (over NewOrleans style R&B)

I stock those big bags of dried chilis from the international market. Heat in my big cast iron low and slow, turning till softened, de-seed, soak in hot water. Puree with lots of fresh garlic...the rest is a total wing-it as i've made it so often. Toast seeds for a chili powder mix...
Not sure my favorite meat cut but get what looks good 'on the day'. Don't like it cut to big or too small. Not big like a beef stew. I tried a large grind using the biggest die once that was good. I was grinding for sausage and burgers anyway so that saved some time.

Only thing probably not traditional Tex style is a bit of masa slurry and a chunk of dark chocolate at the end. (don't care for the Mexican chocolate as most of them have cinnamon)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Made a nice rich bone/beef broth Friday. That means chili. I've been out of my freezer chili stash for a while. I freeze in pint containers and can use it straight up or add to a
Mexican soup, for pasta, chili dogs, tacos, or stretch it with lots of veggies, rice and beans (over NewOrleans style R&B)

I stock those big bags of dried chilis from the international market. Heat in my big cast iron low and slow, turning till softened, de-seed, soak in hot water. Puree with lots of fresh garlic...the rest is a total wing-it as i've made it so often. Toast seeds for a chili powder mix...
Not sure my favorite meat cut but get what looks good 'on the day'. Don't like it cut to big or too small. Not big like a beef stew. I tried a large grind using the biggest die once that was good. I was grinding for sausage and burgers anyway so that saved some time.

Only thing probably not traditional Tex style is a bit of masa slurry and a chunk of dark chocolate at the end. (don't care for the Mexican chocolate as most of them have cinnamon)
The masa is a real must and I use cocoa powder sometimes.
You are spot on.
The grinder plates I use are 1/2 and 3/4.
Worth
Old February 12, 2017   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt mentioned he didn't like watery chili.
I am not for sure what he means by this.
I like the chili to be thin but with flavor not super thick.
So what to do if you have someone in the house that likes it thick and you like it on the thinner side.
You cant easily make it thicker but you can thin your portion down after it is cooked.

Another thing I like to do, this may sound crazy but slice up tamales and put them in my bowl with the chili.

I was raised eating saltine crackers with mine and the reason I like it on the more thin side.

Old school chili parlors and Mexican restaurants served crackers and butter NOT fried corn tortilla chips.
Worth
Old February 12, 2017   #24
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That's true. I'd forgotten that.

Once down in Terlingua Carrol Shelby served us some of his chili. Much thinner than I was used to, but it tasted great. I still use his mix for a quicky. And I use the masa, even though I add a lot more liquid than his recipe calls for.

- Will Rogers

Old February 12, 2017   #25
matereater
Tomatovillian™

"Old school chili parlors and Mexican restaurants served crackers and butter NOT fried corn tortilla chips."

Thats how I like mine, crackers with butter, BUT its gotta be cold hard butter !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like Carrol Shelby's chili mix better than Wick Fowler's.
But both were Texans.
Another chili I have more than likely ate a ton of is Wolf Brand chili yet another Texas product.
Kept cans of it in the truck in the oil field and would heat them up on the exhaust manifold of the rig engine.
Just put a hole in the top and by lunch time they would be warm.
Old February 12, 2017   #27
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes. There are few more satisfying warm-ups than a big steamin' bowl of Wolf Brand chili on a cold day. I like mine with some chopped raw onions, grated cheddar cheese, and some Pace's for contrast.

Objectively it's too thick and mild mannered, even the Hot version. But close enough!

- Will Rogers

Old February 12, 2017   #28
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

There is a chili around here that has been made and canned in a town 20 miles from here, they also have a chili parlor were you can eat fresh chili, butter bean or vegetable soup. It's called Taylor's Mexican Chili and has been made here since the 1930's. It does have red kidney beans in it. If left to sit and cool off it will separate and form an orange layer of oil/grease on top...
Here is a recipe from our McGrady Cookbook that pretty much nails the chili, you can see why it forms a layer as there is 6 pounds of beef suet in it. It will clog your arteries just making it!

Last edited by pmcgrady; February 12, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That ain't chili that is chili grease with beans.
Good lord I like a little oil on top but a ratio of 6 pounds of fat to 4 pounds of meat is unreal.
I got a pain in my left arm looking at the recipe.

Worth
Old February 12, 2017   #30
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That ain't chili that is chili grease with beans.
Good lord I like a little oil on top but a ratio of 6 pounds of fat to 4 pounds of meat is unreal.
I got a pain in my left arm looking at the recipe.

Worth
People around here crave it. When I go to the chili parlor I usually order chili mac which is made with rotelli /scroodle pasta with a scoop of chili and cheese sprinkled on it, it's good, but I get this strange burning sensation in my stomach about an hour later.
Years ago I had to go to a Proctologist in St Louis, he preformed my checkup then said " You live by Carlinville IL don't you?" I said yes... He said If you pick me up a 12 pack of Taylor's Chili, I won't charge you for this visit! He got his chili!

Last edited by pmcgrady; February 12, 2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote