Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 12, 2017   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
People around here crave it. When I go to the chili parlor I usually order chili mac which is made with rotelli /scroodle pasta with a scoop of chili and cheese sprinkled on it, it's good, but I get this strange burning sensation in my stomach about an hour later.
Years ago I had to go to a Proctologist in St Louis, he preformed my checkup then said " You live by Carlinville IL don't you?" I said yes... He said If you pick me up a 12 pack of Taylor's Chili, I won't change you for this visit! He got his chili!
Not saying I wouldn't eat it, that is what the crackers are for, to sop up the oil.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #32
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Each bowl of chili comes with a half package of saltines (about 20). The last of the Taylor's who owned the business were very opinionated / crabby... If you asked for more crackers, they would tell you no, we gave you the perfect amount for a bowl. If you asked for ketchup or vinegar they would throw you out. Years ago I went there wearing a t shirt from an air show, it had a pic of the nose of a B52 Bomber with a pinup girl painted on it, one of the Taylor's threw me out telling me not to come back until I learned to dress appropriately. The young couple who own the company now are very nice people
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Each bowl of chili comes with a half package of saltines (about 20). The last of the Taylor's who owned the business were very opinionated / crabby... If you asked for more crackers, they would tell you no, we gave you the perfect amount for a bowl. If you asked for ketchup or vinegar they would throw you out. Years ago I went there wearing a t shirt from an air show, it had a pic of the nose of a B52 Bomber with a pinup girl painted on it, one of the Taylor's threw me out telling me not to come back until I learned to dress appropriately. The young couple who own the company now are very nice people
Sounds like old man Cook here in Bastrop.
Owned the last remaining hardware store before he passed away.
I miss the mean old coot.
Worth
Old February 12, 2017   #34
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

My chili is pretty much like Hellmann's. Coarsely ground deer or braised shoulder meat, a load of onion warm peppers and garlic, jarred garden tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper and yes, the dreaded B word. Sorry purists, mucho kidney beans. After browning the meat, onions and garlic in a big dutch oven everything else is added except the beans. Cook for a good hour on medium simmer and then add the beans to heat through. Add a few sleeves of saltines and enjoy.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #35
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Never understood the need to add thickeners, even though I like it pretty thick. That is what long simmering is for. Cook it until it is the right consistency in a big cast iron pot. OK, I just might have to make some this week, since I have been out in the freezer for quite a while. Might have to go all meat this time to try it. Wow wonder how many pounds of ground meat I need to make a whole pot of all beef chili? I put it in single serve containers and a few minutes in the microwave and I have homemade chili after a crazy day at work when I am too tired to cook.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #36
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Just finished a pot of Fire Hall chili with 2 lb 3/4 ground chuck, feeds 3 with crackers, maybe four with crackers and a 12 pak. I'd go with 3 lb to feed four.
Old February 12, 2017   #37
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I usually fill a 5 qt cast iron pot about 3/4 full. So I am guessing 6+ lbs, esp if I want to restock the freezer.
Old February 12, 2017   #38
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Just finished a pot of Fire Hall chili with 2 lb 3/4 ground chuck, feeds 3 with crackers, maybe four with crackers and a 12 pak. I'd go with 3 lb to feed four.
12 pack per person?
Old February 12, 2017   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
12 pack per person?
Surely yes, why scrimp on ingredients.

Worth
Old February 12, 2017   #40
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Surely yes, why scrimp on ingredients.

Worth
It's rare in life... that I run across a bigger smartazz than myself... but I think I just did!
Old February 12, 2017   #41
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Now just a dadburn minnit here! I have a professional reputation to protect!

Do I have to propose a smartazz-off??

Oh Lord, save me from myself!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #42
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

With could have a smartazzathon in the possibilities.
I actually like canned chili.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #43
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I got it -> Smartazzapalooza !
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #44
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone add beer to their Chili? If so, what beer do you recommend? The recipe I started with calls for it, but can't remember if I actually tried it that way before I came up with my own version. I tend to take what I like or have on hand from a recipe and come up with my own recipe over time.
Old February 13, 2017   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Does anyone add beer to their Chili? If so, what beer do you recommend? The recipe I started with calls for it, but can't remember if I actually tried it that way before I came up with my own version. I tend to take what I like or have on hand from a recipe and come up with my own recipe over time.
I dont think I ever have.
I just cant stand to pour good beer in food.
Worth