Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 14, 2017   #61
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Actually it's called Texas Red Chili.

I thought I would post a chili recipe that is totally different than what you probably make and eat now. I've entered it in some chili cookoff's down in South Texas. It has no tomatoes or beans in the sauce. Its a very traditional old way of making chili. The finished product has a very bold beef and pepper flavor. It's not a hot recipe but a little spicy, so feel free to add some jalapeno or habanero pepper's while cooking. Here's my rendition:

Texas Red Chili

Serves about 4
Ingredients:
2 to 3 ounces, whole chili-guajilla, pasilla or ancho. About 10-15 chilies total. I prefer the guajilla and ancho peppers.
2 pounds(after being trimmed) of Beef Chuck, flank or brisket cut into ¾ inch pieces. Other cuts of beef are welcomed.
1-1/2 tablespoon of cumin
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 white onion chopped very fine. Food processor works well to get the onion extremely fine
6 finely diced large cloves of garlic(put this in the processor with the onions)
1 can of low-sodium beef broth
1/2 can of low-sodium chicken broth
a pinch of brown sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons of Masa Harina(fine corn flour used for thickening)
a splash of white distilled vinegar
1/2 tbls of sweet paprika
1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cinnamon stick
1 oz Mexican chocolate

Prep:
1. Place the chilies in a hot skillet and toast both sides over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Don't let them burn or they'll turn the chili very bitter. Place in a bowl of very hot water until soft. Approx. 45 minutes. Use a small plate to help keep the chilies submerged. Save the pepper water for later.
2. Drain the chilies. Remove stem, cut open chili's and rinse seeds off being careful not to wash away the flesh. Place chilies into blender or food processor with cumin, pinch Mexican oregano, pinch of pepper and salt, ¼ cup of pepper water. Blend until it is completely smooth like ketchup. The paste/sauce should look like brilliant red. Set aside.
3. Heat enamel coated Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until it starts to shimmer. Add beef, don't crowd, move or stir around. This process takes 3 or 4 batches. Add vegetable oil between batches. Brown on all sides and remove to separate bowl.
4. Dice beef pieces into very small ¼" sizes.
5. Add the diced onions and garlic to the same pot where you browned the beef. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape all brown(fond) off the bottom of pot as onion cooks. The fond has a lot of flavor. Add the stock and the pepper paste. Whisk in the Masa Harina slowly to avoid lumps. Add beef. Bring to a boil then cut heat back to very low heat where only a few bubbles breaking the surface. Add chipolte's, paprika, chocolate and cinnamon stick (remove it after about 30-45 minutes). Water or chicken stock maybe added if it becomes too thick. Cook low and slow for about 2 hours. Stir often to make sure it is not burning on the bottom.
6. After about 2 hours test the chili for meat tenderness. When ready, stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and salt & pepper to taste. Gently simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand stand for about 30 minutes to allow beef to absorb sauce.
7. Serve with lime wedges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $IMG_0493.jpg (70.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg $IMG_0495.jpg (63.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg $IMG_0496.jpg (50.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg $IMG_0497.jpg (74.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg $IMG_0499.jpg (78.3 KB, 68 views)
Old February 14, 2017   #62
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
You are all going to freak out! My chili: Morningstar Farms vegetarian crumbles, a packet of mild chili mix, chopped onions, a few chunks of tomato, lots of kidney beans and topped with cheddar cheese. I then pour a Coke over ice and dive in! OK, let me have it... I deserve it...

NO VISA FOR YOU!

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #63
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Ooo. That looks good, Aaron.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #64
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Well deserved... Head hanging in shame...
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #65
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

Down South--- great looking chili. That's the color I like my chili to be. My kids like more of a tomato flavor, but I like the less sweet chili taste.

Thanks to you, I figured you it what to do with the rest of the brisket I have been eating for 2 days. I overcooked it. Fell asleep, and it was 211F internal when I took it out of the smoker. I bet it will make good chili.
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #66
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Crazy i did the same last night. Slow roasted the dried chilis, then in water...
with smoked hatch chilies and tomatillos i had in the freezer.
Cubed rare sirloin. (cast iron sear)....masa and chocolate to finish.

I made a load enough to freeze 3 qrts. Then tonight it was over pasta. The extra qrt.
Killer pasta sauce.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 9.22.44 PM.png (520.3 KB, 36 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #67
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Leftovers tonight...chili roasted chicken thighs, (bone-in skinless) over chili pasta.
(a favorite braised chicken thigh dish we do once a month)...made that Sunday.
Avocado, key lime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5964.jpg (260.2 KB, 35 views)
Old April 25, 2017   #68
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

That chili looks pretty good Oakley. The dried chili's really make a great fresh chili flavor. I've also learned a different method from reconstituting the dried chilis; toast the chili's, let them sit and cool and become somewhat crunchy. If you over-toast they will be bitter so be careful. Then throw them into a food processor with a few corn chips. It makes the perfect fresh ground chili. Then use it as you would with any chili recipe. It's a game changer.
Old April 25, 2017   #69
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Very slow roasted. Till soft. seeds and heads removed. Then water, homemade beef stock, my home
smoked hatch blend and into the cuisinart...no corn chips. I don't use any processed foods....i make my own corn chips when i want them.
Old April 25, 2017   #70
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure yours is much better than mine being in Texas. Like Texans do.
Old April 25, 2017   #71
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hey, don't knock my chili, it's good, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote