Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 16, 2017   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
Question for the texans here. theres a new bbq joint opening up nearby and as I understand it its a franchise from texas. Its called Dickey's Barbecue Pit. Curious if any of you have been there and if its any good ??
Got one here in town and never knew it was there I have never eaten there or heard of it hardly.

If I closed my eyes and just started driving I would run into a BBQ or Mexican food joint around here.
So I simply dont pay attention to them.
Most of which are over priced and or suck.
But we are talking meat and it has grown expensive, they have to have high prices to stay in business.

It is a chain so it will never be a s good as one off place off the beaten path.

One of my favorites you will never see on the menu is BBQ'ed sweet breads.

Down Souths BBQ looks good.
It is an exception to what you will find in a chain joint.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #17
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
Question for the texans here. theres a new bbq joint opening up nearby and as I understand it its a franchise from texas. Its called Dickey's Barbecue Pit. Curious if any of you have been there and if its any good ??
We have 3 or 4 Dickey's around here. It's a large chain as BBQ restaurants go and I would say above average.

I like BBQ a lot, but am no worshipper. I know what bad BBQ is, but I tend to think the BBQ worship in this country is pretty overdone. It has ruined the reasonable prices I used to find on the "cheaper cuts".

The OP here is not the first good BBQ cook to suggest buying Prime meat to make a great brisket and it is certainly good advice. That said, if I have to pay for Prime beef to make a great brisket and still work hard at it, I will always choose to pull a vac packed, bought on sale $5.99/lb USDA Choice Ribeye from the freezer.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #18
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
We have 3 or 4 Dickey's around here. It's a large chain as BBQ restaurants go and I would say above average.

I like BBQ a lot, but am no worshipper. I know what bad BBQ is, but I tend to think the BBQ worship in this country is pretty overdone. It has ruined the reasonable prices I used to find on the "cheaper cuts".

The OP here is not the first good BBQ cook to suggest buying Prime meat to make a great brisket and it is certainly good advice. That said, if I have to pay for Prime beef to make a great brisket and still work hard at it, I will always choose to pull a vac packed, bought on sale $5.99/lb USDA Choice Ribeye from the freezer.
I'm not a worshiper either.

....yes I am.

~Aaron

I made a Thai soup and added smoked brisket. It gave it an added smokiness. Yum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2740.jpg (474.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2741.jpg (404.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2742.jpg (383.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Down_South; February 16, 2017 at 10:52 AM.
Down_South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #19
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
South
Just pulled a pork shoulder off. A small 9 lb. that will last me a few days.
My wife eats very little and I find that pork has a much longer shelf life than beef.
I eat so little brisket that when I do it's a real treat. Your brisket looks far better than just good.

There is a small hole in the wall BBQ joint in St Louis named Bogards. Opens at 11:00 and burnt ends run out quick. I could live on their baked beans.
My wife is not a big meat eater either. That means more for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Looks really good! There are very few places that can do brisket justice, so when we go out for BBQ we usually go with ribs or pulled pork.

We also smoke ribs and pork here at home, but never tried smoking brisket. Around here beef brisket costs as much as, or more, per pound them some of the best steaks.
I know what you're thinking, You just spent $50 on brisket and you don't want to screw it up. Instead, try smoking a small flat that hasn't been completely trimmed of fat. My grocery store butcher is pretty accommodating. Ask your butcher.
Old February 16, 2017   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Dickey's is okay, if there's nothing else around. Mediocre barbecue is better than no barbecue.

IIRC, they have a decent bbq'd baloney sandwich.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Whenever I drive thru Amarillo, TX , I make sure to stop at Rudy's Bar BQ. Not sure if it's a chain, but I do like their food.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rudy's is a big chain.
Worth
Old February 16, 2017   #23
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Rudy's is a big chain and does a decent brisket if you buy the Fatty Cut. But the hole in the wall places are usually the best.

MikeInCypress
Old February 16, 2017   #24
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Rudy's is good. They will also can smoke you a turkey for Thanksgiving. There is (was) a food truck parked 1/2 mile down the street from my house that has wonderful BBQ. Their breakfast brisket taco was very nice. They always had a long line.

One day they were gone...poof.
Old February 16, 2017   #25
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I keep kicking the tires on a Oklahoma Joe's Bandera vertical offset, but with Smokey's on Lancaster, The Smoke Pit in Riverside, and Soda Springs across the street and down 3 houses from my front door, it is hard to justify. Riscky's Azle Ave original does a smoked buffet ham (for nearly half a car payment) that you remember fondly all year
Old February 16, 2017   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
I keep kicking the tires on a Oklahoma Joe's Bandera vertical offset, but with Smokey's on Lancaster, The Smoke Pit in Riverside, and Soda Springs across the street and down 3 houses from my front door, it is hard to justify. Riscky's Azle Ave original does a smoked buffet ham (for nearly half a car payment) that you remember fondly all year

Don't waste you money on one I wouldn't but almost did.
Here are some good all purpose grills and pits combos that work.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5GYSkc3vmRItcQ

Last edited by Worth1; February 16, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old February 16, 2017   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm kicking around the idea of taking a brisket and making sauerbraten out of it.

Worth
Old February 16, 2017   #28
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Met my sisters for lunch at a pretty new Farm to Table type restaurant here. The Chef/Owner competes in BBQ competitions and even though its not really a BBQ place, brisket was on the menu and on my brain thanks to this thread so I gave it a try.

Came out and looked really fatty so I was worried. Shouldn't have been. It was so tender and juicy it just disolved in my mouth. Made me remember that properly smoked brisket can be better than steak. Got a feeling the brisket in the pics here is on par with my lunch today.
His was coffee rubbed and seasoned perfectly.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017   #29
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
This is what I use:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-...ldCatid=311402

It's a nice semi thick steel pit and makes great Que. There is a learning curve though. I use ceramic tile tuning plates to even out the heat across the entire grate.
Old February 16, 2017   #30
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
Met my sisters for lunch at a pretty new Farm to Table type restaurant here. The Chef/Owner competes in BBQ competitions and even though its not really a BBQ place, brisket was on the menu and on my brain thanks to this thread so I gave it a try.

Came out and looked really fatty so I was worried. Shouldn't have been. It was so tender and juicy it just disolved in my mouth. Made me remember that properly smoked brisket can be better than steak. Got a feeling the brisket in the pics here is on par with my lunch today.
His was coffee rubbed and seasoned perfectly.
Sounds really good. A little fat on your brisket is ok...that's flavor.