Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 3, 2018   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
There's a game on this weekend...??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont even know who is playing and didn't know till this thread.

As far as super bowl treats canned octopus should separate the men from the boys.
Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I need to head to the store before the ravenous Super Bowl hoards move in like hungry locusts and suck up everything.

The Super Bowl store run may very well be third in place only to be outdone by the great Thanksgiving and Christmas run.

The last time people were swiping their claws at each other and baring their teeth.

Here is a pictuer I took last year at the meat isle of a young lady when I reached for the last pack of chicken wings.
Old February 3, 2018   #18
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
Bagna Cauda...I had to look that one up. My Italian wife cooks cardoon on Christmas Eve and this may be something new for her to add for her family celebrations. Thanks.

George
A lot of recipes on the net call for olive oil, Italians around here make it with 4 ingredients, butter, heavy cream, anchovies and lots of garlic.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Super Bowl favorite foods and recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
A lot of recipes on the net call for olive oil, Italians around here make it with 4 ingredients, butter, heavy cream, anchovies and lots of garlic.

Having never tried it I too had to look it up. Even before I looked, I knew based on the ingredients it was a northern Italian dish. Butter and heavy cream are two items never or rarely seen in old, traditional southern Italian foods. Sure enough, Bagna Cuada originated in Piedmont, Italy which shares a border with France to the west and Switzerland, the land of cream and butter, to the north.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #20
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I went to the grocery store and it's a madhouse!

In truth, I really only like college football, which is long over for the season now, of course, but I do end up watching the Super Bowl because my husband and my sister do. And I like the food. Gotta have wings! I bake them at 450 degrees so they get really crunchy and then put the sauce on when they come out of the oven. And they always ask me to make the 7 layer dip with the beans, guacamole, sour cream, etc. I will also have chili and shredded salsa chicken and queso to make nachos. And beer! Don't forget the beer! But I have to get up at 5 AM on Monday so not too much beer.
Old February 3, 2018   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It was a mad house for me too I was lucky to get out alive.
They showed up an hour earlier than normal.

Worth
Old February 3, 2018   #22
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Having never tried it I too had to look it up. Even before I looked, I knew based on the ingredients it was a northern Italian dish. Butter and heavy cream are two items never or rarely seen in old, traditional southern Italian foods. Sure enough, Bagna Cuada originated in Piedmont, Italy which shares a border with France to the west and Switzerland, the land of cream and butter, to the north.
That's probably why my wife hadn't heard of it. Her grandparents were considered "southerners" living in the boot region of Italy(Calabria) and Sicily.
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #23
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
That's probably why my wife hadn't heard of it. Her grandparents were considered "southerners" living in the boot region of Italy(Calabria) and Sicily.
My family is also from southern Italy, Montella. It's a small town in the mountains a little over an hour car ride east of Naples, Pompeii or Salerno. Sicilian cuisine is unique and doesn't translate too much to mainland Italy but it does mix in the coastal regions of southern Italy. It was always told to me growing up that the boot kicks Sicily and I know (by accident) that suggesting a Sicilian recipe to a chef in another region is frowned upon. I've even requested Napoli cuisine (a twist to a menu offering) while in Bologna and apparently insulted them. They love their regional foods and culture and they do not like to stray. American-Italians, well we are a different breed.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #24
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It was a mad house for me too I was lucky to get out alive.
They showed up an hour earlier than normal.

Worth
Oh, yea ... now add an impending Sunday snow storm in the equation and you have Super Bowl shoppers along with the "bread, milk and egg" shoppers.
I never got the whole "bread, milk and egg" thing ... I've never experienced any shortage of bread, milk or eggs during or after any snow storm. I guess there is a secret cult that must have French Toast after it snows. I find the greater risk of shortage to be Beer, Rum, Vodka, & smokes ... maybe!
Old February 3, 2018   #25
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Oh, yea ... now add an impending Sunday snow storm in the equation and you have Super Bowl shoppers along with the "bread, milk and egg" shoppers.
I never got the whole "bread, milk and egg" thing ... I've never experienced any shortage of bread, milk or eggs during or after any snow storm. I guess there is a secret cult that must have French Toast after it snows. I find the greater risk of shortage to be Beer, Rum, Vodka, & smokes ... maybe!
I just made a sourdough carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and I'm out of eggs!
Old February 3, 2018   #26
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I just made a sourdough carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and I'm out of eggs!
That's a shame... carrot cake goes very well with a nice tall glass of cold milk too! Better stock up!!
Old February 4, 2018   #27
matereater
Tomatovillian™

sourdough carrot cake ?? love carrot cake, never heard of a sourdough version, any chance you can share your recipe ?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Noticed it during the hurricane the bread isle was wiped out.
I dont think very many people can make any kind of bread anymore.

For me it would be coffee smokes and some sort of strong drink.
Old February 4, 2018   #29
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
sourdough carrot cake ?? love carrot cake, never heard of a sourdough version, any chance you can share your recipe ?
I got the sourdough recipe on King Arthur Flour website ( not sure how to post a link from my IPhone). It took 6 days to get the sourdough starter going ( the starter recipe is on their website also). The starter begins with 1 cup whole wheat flour 1/2 cup water, then switches to all purpose flour to feed the starter till it starts bubbling.
Old February 4, 2018   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...rosting-recipe

https://search.kingarthurflour.com/s...core&view=grid

Last edited by Worth1; February 4, 2018 at 09:04 AM.