Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old June 18, 2006   #1
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default Summer Squash like Zucchini

Pam’s Zucchini Relleno Casserole
served at NORCATT '05

1 1/2 lbs zucchini, cubed
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 Tbsp oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 Tbsp green pepper, diced
1 (4 oz) can green chiles, diced
1 lb jack cheese, grated

Topping
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix
1 Tbsp butter

Steam zucchini over a small amount of water. Cook onion in oil until softened. Combine eggs, milk, seasonings, baking powder, and flour, mixing to remove lumps. Add peppers, onion, and cheese. Add zucchini and stir gently.

Grease 2 qt casserole dish and pour zucchini mix in. Mix breadcrumbs with taco seasoning and sprinkle on top of casserole; dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.

Note: Pam made this with *wheaties* type cereal, as she didn’t have any breadcrumbs. I thought it tasted wonderful.
coronabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2006   #2
coronabarb

Barb's Chocolate Zucchini Bread

I found this recipe in a magazine about 25 yrs ago. I think it is the best quick bread I have ever tasted (well, I do love chocolate!).

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups grated zucchini
2 sqs. unsweetened chocolate, melted
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Beat eggs well, add oil and brown sugar, mixing thoroughly. Add vanilla, zucchini, and melted chocolate and beat well. Mix dry ingredients together, then add to zucchini mixture by spoonfuls, mixing well after each addition. Add nuts.

Bake in two 8x4-inch loaf pans at 350 for 40-60 minutes. Cool in pans until it can be removed (10-15 min), then cool on rack.
Old July 27, 2006   #3
coronabarb

Zucchini Faux Crab Cakes
Posted by maupin

I made this last year and lost the recipe. It was awesome. Anyone out there have it? I'm drowning in zukes! Thanks
Old July 27, 2006   #4
coronabarb

Zucchini Faux Crab Cakes
posted by giardiniere

I found this one. Is it similar to the one you're looking for?

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/...iCrabCakes.asp
Old July 27, 2006   #5
coronabarb

That's the one. The only diffference is you need to pat the zukes dry with a paper towel before mixing the ingredients. Thanks so much!

maupin
Old July 27, 2006   #6
coronabarb

posted by giardiniere

maupin wrote:
That's the one. The only difference is you need to pat the zukes dry with a paper towel before mixing the ingredients. Thanks so much!

I found that out. I made this a few nights ago. It turned out pretty well, it was just difficult to forms into cakes because of the excess moisture.

dave
Old July 31, 2006   #7
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I'm copying this from the Food Network site. It is courtesy of Paula Deen. I'm sure she won't mind. My wife made it last night, and it is very good. I brought the leftovers for lunch today, and I think it's even better the second day.

Squash Casserole

6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini
Vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon House seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed butter crackers (recommended: Ritz)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes. Line a colander with a clean tea towel. Place the cooked squash in the lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside.

In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
giardiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2006   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Default 3117 eggplant recipes and counting!

The Eggplant Recipe Database - Ashbury's Aubergines Eggplant Recipes

On another note:

" Egglin the Eggplant "

Old October 24, 2006   #9
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Great website. Thanks.

Heaps of ideas. Like this...

Bangon Aloo - Eggplant with Potatoes

3/4 pound eggplant
1/2 pound potatoes
1/3 cup sliced onion
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon roasted and crushed coriander seeds
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
4 to 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon nonfat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 to 2 green chilis, chopped
1/3 cup chopped tomato
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves

Wash the eggplant. Cut it into quarters lengthwise, then, holding the pieces together, cut them across into 1/2 inch chunks.

Scrub the potatoes thoroughly and don't peel them. Cut into quarters and cut quarters twice so you get 12 bite size pieces from each tater.

Very slowly dry fry onion until it turns light brown (slowly caramelizing the onions)Add cumin and coriander seeds, stir for a minute, then add ginger, half garlic, chili powder, turmeric and cook over very high heat, adding a couple of tablespoons of water as necessary to keep the spice paste from sticking. Spices should deepen in color, this should not take more than two minutes.

Add eggplant, yogurt, sugar, and green chilis. Mix all together and cook 2-3 minutes.

Add 2/3 cup of water, lower heat and and simmer 15 minutes, with lid firmly on. Add taters, peppers, and tomatoes. Make sure lid is very tight, simmer another 10 minutes, checking occasionally so it is not burning or sticking..

If too dry, add a bit more water . Lastly, add cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice, cook 1 more minute, gently stir to mix, then turn off heat.
[/b]
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2007   #10
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Default What Did You Grill This Weekend?

Saturday, we put a pork roast on the rotisserie, made a big pot of barbeque beans and grilled some corn. Yummy!

For something different on Sunday, we picked a large zucchini (we grow a variety called Super Zuke that doesn't get seedy as it gets big). Cut it into 1/2" slices and sprinkle with garlic powder and Greek seasoning. Grill like a burger. Put on a hamburger bun (if you live in the Northeast, Martin's Potato Rolls are the BEST for this!) with slice of onion, condiments of your choice and later in the summer, a big fat slice of tomato. These are really delicious and make a nice vegetable-main-dish meal.

I was so hungry I didn't get a picture of the finished "Zuke Burger".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork Roast.jpg (158.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Zuke Grilling.jpg (178.2 KB, 138 views)
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2007   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yum, felpec! I almost always give the corn to my husband to cook on the grill anymore. Once it's wrapped in the foil, you can cook it and it stays hot so much longer that way. I've got enough to worry about in the kitchen anyway.

I used to grow a zucchini called Ronde de Nice and it made such great slices, almost like a little slab of zucchini, when picked at about four inches diameter. It was great for grilling.

Have a happy July Fourth and enjoy your grill! We're having a party and making chicken wings, Italian sausage and pork barbecue.
Old June 26, 2007   #12
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We grilled some marinated swordfish....wonderful. Also some Old Bay spiced, skewered shrimp. Now that our summer squash are coming in, we quarter them, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper - wonderful grilled. This week we will grill our first eggplant of the season....soon to be followed by sweet peppers - tomatoes probably a week or two away. What a great time of the year!
Old July 16, 2007   #13
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default All that zucchini!

My family adores zucchini - so we have 8 plants up on top of the hill, all with tiny baby zucchini on them. Here's our long-time favorite way to cook zucchini. One year when I was in my teens Dad zucchini (prior to that time all our summer squash had been yellow), a vegetable that we never saw in old New England. When the harvest first started rolling in Mom and I spent quite some time looking for suitable recipes. We happened upon this one in an Italian cookbook (long gone, name forgotten) - one of the earliest members of my cookbook collection. The rest is history ......

Granny's Zucchini

Slice about 1 medium sized zucchini per person and one medium to large onion for every 2 zucchini. Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, wide pan. Add the onions & zucchini along with 1-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the vegetables become translucent and limp. Remove the cover and stir in grated Parmesan. How much is up to you. We adore it with about a cup of Parmesan to 5 or 6 zucchini, but often make it with far less in the interests of diet or pocketbook. You can, BTW, add tomatoes to this.

On the Grill: Put the zucchini, onion & garlic on a large piece of heavy duty foil. Sprinkle with the olive oil & finely chopped garlic. Roll and seal the seams to make a leak-proof packet. Grill about 40 minutes, turning several times. Add cheese just before serving.

What's your favorite way to use zucchini?
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2007   #14
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I love fried zucchini and eggplant with marinara for dipping. I also love zucchini bread that is just slightly sweet, with cream cheese spread on it. Yum!
Old July 21, 2007   #15
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Default Veggie Batter

I have found this to be the best batter for everything from onion rings to zucchini.

1 C. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 lg. egg
1 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 C. of milk
1 C. of shredded (not grated) parmesan cheese

I like to add a little more milk to give it more of a creamy texture, I find that it gives more of a thin crispy layer than a thick breaded one. Of course you can add or take away from this.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Thomas; July 21, 2007 at 12:09 PM.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote