Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old December 6, 2012   #61
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Mushrooms, caramelized onions and asparagus! That would make me forget about any meat!
Old March 6, 2013   #62
Baja_Traveler
Tomatovillian™

Default Zucchini "Apple" Pie

Didn't see this one here - a recipe I cut out years ago from the Fall 1989 issue of T-Bon, and is simply an awesome use for those huge zucchini's that seem to get away from us. I fooled everyone when I made this - except my mom - even though it tasted exactly like an apple pie, the texture of the "apples" was just off enough to make her suspicious, but she had no idea what I had used.

"Everyone has zucchini's that hide until they're too big. There are apple pies and apple pies, but this is an extra good one, and so inexpensive. You really have to try it to believe it.
Use big zucchini's, but still tender enough that you can pierce the skin easily using your thumbnail. Peel, cut lengthwise in quarters, remove the seeds and slice crosswise."

Toss Together:
6 cups sliced zucchini
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
dash of salt

Mix in Bowl:
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 Tbs flour
2 Tbs Corn Starch
2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
2 Tsp Cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

Add the zucchini and mix well. It will be runny, but that is OK. Dump the filling into a 12 inch crust and dot with butter. Add the top crust and bake 400*F for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #63
Rock Lady
Tomatovillian™

A very simple salad to use all those cucumbers, tomatoes and onions: chop up cucumbers and tomatoes in bite size pieces, chop red onion finely, add some bottled Italian dressing, mix and serve.

I have a really good recipe for zucchini bread/muffins that everyone absolutely loves. I got it from the Silver Palette cookbook and modified it slightly. can I post it?
Rock Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #64
coronabarb

Rock Lady,

Anything having to do with what comes out of our gardens is very much welcome here. Please do post your recipe!
Old April 6, 2014   #65
Rock Lady
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Bread

From Silver Palette cookbook

Double / Single
6 / 3 eggs
2 / 1 ¼ cups oil (1 cup works fine)
3 / 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
2 / 1 tsp vanilla
4 / 2 cups grated unpeeled raw zucchini
4 / 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
4 / 2 tsp baking soda
2 / 1 tsp baking powder
2 / 1 tsp salt
2 / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 / 1 tsp ground cloves
2 / 1 cup shelled walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter (unsalted) a 3 x 5 loaf pan or muffin pans (spray with Pam also works).
2. Beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until light and thick. Fold zucchini into oil mixture.
3. Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into zucchini mixture until just blended. Fold in the walnuts.
4. Pour batter into the buttered loaf pans. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. For muffins, fill muffin tins about ¾ full, bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool slightly, remove from pan, and cool completely on a rack.

Single recipe makes one loaf or about 18 muffins

Last edited by Rock Lady; April 7, 2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: spacing is not right
Rock Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #66
coronabarb

Thank you Rock Lady! The best use of a large zuke is bread, in my own opinion!
Old July 20, 2015   #67
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default dehydrating summer squash

Does any one here have luck with dehydrating thin slice of summer squash?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #68
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Does any one here have luck with dehydrating thin slice of summer squash?

I have dried zucchini successfully in a dehydrator. I've never tried it with summer squash, but I'm betting it's possible.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2016   #69
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Default Zucchini Pesto

Enough for 2 servings of pasta:

-grate 1 unpeeled med. size zucchini
-lightly mix one pinch course salt with zucchini and put in cheese cloth or tea towel lined colander to drain for about 10 minutes.
-fold cheese cloth or tea towel around zucchini and squeeze with your hands to remove as much moisture from the zucchini as you can
-add a table spoon or two of olive oil to a saute pan and heat oil at medium low heat. Add some hot pepper flakes to taste ( I use about 1 tbs) and the grated zucchini to the pan with a pinch of salt.
-saute until zucchini is soft / let sit until cooled down a little
-toast 2-3 TBS pine nuts in oven at 350 until light brown. These do not take long to toast so keep and eye out. Do not let them get too brown.
-into blender add in this order... pine nuts/ crushed garlic cloves to taste( I use 8 cloves but I like garlic a lot)/ handful of fresh basil leaves or to taste/ cooked zucchini.
-turn on blender and process for a few seconds then start dribbling in olive oil just until the ingredients come together into a paste. Process until smooth.
-pour pesto into bowl and add grated Parmesan cheese about 1/4 cup or to taste and salt and pepper to taste. This is good on pasta or on grilled chicken...
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #70
imp
Tomatovillian™

Haven't seen this in here- pickle the squash, summer types, like zukes, yellow crooknecks, bush Marrows and such.

Use whatever pickling flavors you like, cut into spears or slices, and pickle them.

I used to make them like the dilly beans with added garlic cloves and sometimes a hot pepper in each jar.

If pickling whole small 4 to 6 inch squash, cut a few slits in the skin and top and tail them to help the flavors get through them.

Bread and butter pickles made with both yellow crooknecks and zukes both cut into rounds or small chunks are tasty and very pretty in the jar.

Oven squash

400 degree oven

Baking sheet lined with lightly oiled foil

Cut up squash into small bite size chunks, salt, let rest in bowl/colander until they have sweated out any extra water. Rinse quickly, pat dry.

toss with parmesan cheeses, bread crumbs seasoned how you like them, a few sprigs of oregano and rosemary laid in the pan; spread the squash in the baling pan and cook until done, may toss during cooking to brown the other sides.

If you have left over pieces, these are good on a green salad the next day or smushed onto toasted crostini for a squash crostini.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote