Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 462
Default Chlorothalonil, Dangerous Chemical

Anyone using chlorothalonil should be aware of the danger associated with this chemical.


New Zealand EPA


Human health risk assessment

The risks to human health are highest for the exposure of a toddler (bystander) entering an area where chlorothalonil has been applied. Estimated exposures of up to 100 times higher than acceptable levels have been identified. Estimated exposures to operators(i.e. people mixing,loading and applying the substance)are greater than the acceptable level for all products. The assessment indicates that the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is necessary to reduce exposure to an acceptable level
.
However, EPA staff do not consider it is appropriate to assume that home users will either wear the correct PPE or use and maintain it properly (i.e. wash/store it appropriately and replace it when necessary).
Risks to re-entry workers for all use scenarios are also not acceptable.


What this implies in my opinion is that even after it is applied it is still toxic. Best to keep the children and pets out of the garden during and after application.


Also according to the EPA document The United States may be only nation that allows
chlorothaloni to be used in home gardens.


Australia -

No home garden pesticides containing chlorothalonil are currently registered .



Canada - Chlorothalonil is not registered in Canada for use around homes or other residential areas such as parks, school grounds and playing fields. I assume this means home gardens also but not sure,



European Union


Chlorothalonil is registered for use as a plant protection in Europe EU, 2006 ) for professional use . Based on concerns relating to acute and chronic human health effects (corrosive, skin sens itisation and suspected carcinogen) chlorothalonil is not approved for non - professional
use


According to the New Zealand EPA



Given the hazards associated with chlorothalonil and its formulations, EPA staff consider that there is potential for adverse effects to occur at any point during the lifecycle of these substances. The staff note that the hazardous properties of these substances have the potential to cause major adverse effects


In my humble opinion this just reaffirms that our own EPA which is supposed to protect us is really protecting the interests of the chemical companies profits over the health of its own citizens. And yes in my opinion the United States EPA is corrupt.


https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/FileAPI/hsno-ar/APP202349/APP202349-APP202349-Application-FINAL.pdf






























Last edited by seaeagle; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:10 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Anyone using chlorothalonil should be aware of the danger associated with this chemical.


New Zealand EPA


Human health risk assessment

The risks to human health are highest for the exposure of a toddler (bystander) entering an area where chlorothalonil has been applied. Estimated exposures of up to 100 times higher than acceptable levels have been identified. Estimated exposures to operators(i.e. people mixing,loading and applying the substance)are greater than the acceptable level for all products. The assessment indicates that the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is necessary to reduce exposure to an acceptable level
.
However, EPA staff do not consider it is appropriate to assume that home users will either wear the correct PPE or use and maintain it properly (i.e. wash/store it appropriately and replace it when necessary).
Risks to re-entry workers for all use scenarios are also not acceptable.


What this implies in my opinion is that even after it is applied it is still toxic. Best to keep the children and pets out of the garden during and after application.


Also according to the EPA document The United States may be only nation that allows
chlorothaloni to be used in home gardens.


Australia -

No home garden pesticides containing chlorothalonil are currently registered .



Canada - Chlorothalonil is not registered in Canada for use around homes or other residential areas such as parks, school grounds and playing fields. I assume this means home gardens also but not sure,



European Union


Chlorothalonil is registered for use as a plant protection in Europe EU, 2006 ) for professional use . Based on concerns relating to acute and chronic human health effects (corrosive, skin sens itisation and suspected carcinogen) chlorothalonil is not approved for non - professional
use


According to the New Zealand EPA



Given the hazards associated with chlorothalonil and its formulations, EPA staff consider that there is potential for adverse effects to occur at any point during the lifecycle of these substances. The staff note that the hazardous properties of these substances have the potential to cause major adverse effects


In my humble opinion this just reaffirms that our own EPA which is supposed to protect us is really protecting the interests of the chemical companies profits over the health of its own citizens. And yes in my opinion the United States EPA is corrupt.


https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/FileAPI/hsno-ar/APP202349/APP202349-APP202349-Application-FINAL.pdf





























I know it better as Daconil, but yes,cholorothalonil is the active ingredient. And I wouldn't be without it especially for use on tomato plants.

Here is a link to it from EXTOXNET and while they note,in general,that some info may be out of date,since EXTOXNET lists pesticides,and so much more, I reviewed the Daconil info and what's there still applies.

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/chloroth.htm

Different countries do have different regulations about it. For instance,it can't be used in Canada,but folks here at Tville have found ways to get it to their Canadian friends.

Daconil is THE most common anti fungal used in the world today, and still is.It comes in different concentrations as well. Using it on golf courses or playing fields demands different concentrations for instance.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.ffvD1UoTBaQ

And it has been used for MANY decades,so the history of use is very available.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,884
Default

Anyone who uses any chemicals synthetic OR organicis at risk and assume the reposibility to use it with proper personal protective equipment. This is or should be common sense. No one is safe at any level when they spray mix or dispose of sprays. This is the most toxic of levels of use. Tyveck? Coveralls, a respirator for the type of spray you are applying, gloves, face shield ,.... These are always the items anyone should use when spraying anything... Even organic sprays. They are intended to control at lethal levels an organism killing the plant.
__________________
carolyn k
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 462
Default

Well I think you missed the main point that the whole world with the exception of the United States (and maybe a few other countries) is trying to make.


While it is generally considered safe to be used in a commercial setting where all the proper protective gear and controls are used, home gardens are not a safe place as most gardeners do not use the proper protection and controls.



And as you stated EXTOXNET is outdated and even so is still scary. This is a case where the United States saying it is safe for home use and the rest of the world is saying it is not.


New Zealand FDA also states;


The high toxicity of chlorothalonil means that serious human health effects can develop from even very small exposures to chlorothalonil .
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Anyone who uses any chemicals synthetic OR organicis at risk and assume the reposibility to use it with proper personal protective equipment. This is or should be common sense. No one is safe at any level when they spray mix or dispose of sprays. This is the most toxic of levels of use. Tyveck? Coveralls, a respirator for the type of spray you are applying, gloves, face shield ,.... These are always the items anyone should use when spraying anything... Even organic sprays. They are intended to control at lethal levels an organism killing the plant.

Very true but even after application it is still toxic, I am fairly certain home gardeners are in the garden after application with no protection. Commercial growers spray and move on whereas home gardeners are right back in the garden.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 35,255
Default

Well crap, there goes my secret ingredient for chili.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
Neanderthal and proud of it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,192
Default

With such a wide use as a preventative, it is sprayed on a lot of our food already.

One of the calculations that makes a chemical "safe" for commercial use is that almost all the people exposed to it are going to be the migrant laborers who harvest and tend the crops. Those people are much less likely to get a lawyer and sue. I have read that they do get diseases of the central nervous system more frequently. What should be very rare diseases are not so rare among ag workers.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,050
Default

I'm out on this topic for several reasons.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™
 
KarenO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 4,705
Default

I would quit growing anything if the only way I could do it would be to spray my beautiful garden with an illegal systemic golf course fungicide. We are talking about my family’s food.
The piece regarding the health and exposure of immigrant farm workers not basically mattering leaves me speechless and is I know an attitude not shared by progressive countries less influenced by corporate profits over human safety.
I sometimes wonder how I can still be surprised by things I read in this forum.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,555
Default

Apparently one of the findings is chlorathonil might hurt the feelings of the Maori people.
No Maori in my garden.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™
 
brownrexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 989
Default

I don't know what it would be like to try to grow tomatoes in the South but in my garden in PA I have no need or desire to use such things.

One of the reasons that I garden is to have fresh, good tasting produce without the chemicals found in supermarket produce.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Patihum
Tomatovillian™
 
Patihum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southeast Kansas
Posts: 805
Default

The operative word is "potential" here - not that they've already proven the human health hazard. Commonly accepted organic type sprays containing copper, sulfur etc. also can cause health risks and environmental risks. If your lucky enough to live where such products are never needed more power to you!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™
 
amideutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany 49°26"N 07°36"E
Posts: 4,983
Default

Here is a thread I came upon concerning Daconil. Another fact I came across was Daconil can be applied to tomato plants up till the day before harvest.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=Daconil

Ami
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting ‘...Holy Crap .....What a ride!'
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™
 
PaulF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brownville, Ne
Posts: 2,783
Default

...or maybe the other named counties are more concerned with the chemical operators and their lobbyists keeping a monopoly on applications of useful substances...

Stop trying to save me from myself. I can read labels and follow instructions and safely have been doing so for many, many years. In my small garden I use very few chemicals and then only when absolutely necessary. However, when needed I can do it myself.
__________________
there's two things money can't buy; true love and home grown tomatoes.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Here is a thread I came upon concerning Daconil. Another fact I came across was Daconil can be applied to tomato plants up till the day before harvest.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=Daconil

Ami
Ami,thanks so very much for bringing up that thread.I read it all and it brought up many memories as to who I called and the answers I got back from the experts who were the ones,there were several, who sold Daconil and how they tested the efficacy of it.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★