Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 19, 2019   #1
charley
Tomatovillian™

Default leaf types

(this is just something i found on the computer on leaf types)We examined leaf morphology, anatomy, and margin development in wild‐type and mutant leaves in order to define the genetic pathways controlling the different stages of leaf development in tomato. Tomato mutants were placed into four categories based on the degree of leaf complexity and margin development. Mutant phenotypes ranged from little or no blade expansion (Type I mutant wiry [w]), reduced leaf complexity (Type II mutants Lanceolate [La] and entire [e]), and reduced margin complexity (Type III mutants solanifolia [sf], trifoliate2 [tf2], and potato leaf [c]) to excessive leaf complexity (Type IV mutants Mouse ears [Me], Curl [Cu], clausa [clau], and complicata [com]). Based on our analyses, we conclude that the central domain of the terminal leaflet is established first, followed by blade expansion and further partitioning of the blade into a proximal domain that will promote the initiation of lobes and lateral leaflets. The mutant w causes a defect in blade expansion, La inhibits the establishment of the proximal domain, e restricts partitioning of leaf into leaflets, and Me, Cu, clau, and com cause excessive leaf complexity by promoting lateral leaflet initiation. The mutants with defective margin development (sf, tf2, c) also had decreased leaf lobing and complexity, indicating that the margin domain plays a role in the initiation of lobes and lateral leaflets.

Last edited by charley; January 19, 2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: add
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2019   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

This reminds me of another thread, Charley, where the study found a link between brix and leaf complexity.

I had a look at my leaves at the time and tried to compare with one another, but they all seemed about equally complex. So it wasn't any help.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2019   #3
charley
Tomatovillian™

i posted in here last year (selection of plants)in my pic of my plants i couldn't tell if they was pL or reg they had more of a mitten look and a rogose look so i dove in to the world of leaf types and found the link your talking about(brix and leaf complexity)and a few others but hard as i tried i understood very little.i think pl leaf come in several different types but couldn't find anything on the subject
Old January 19, 2019   #4
charley
Tomatovillian™

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43781 pic of my plant is on page 2