Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 8, 2019   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default Project of my first cross

Hello everyone from Spain.
Last year I made my first crosses, one of the crosses I made was stick as a mother, which is the rarest plant I have ever seen, with the leaves in the form of pom pom and the father tomato blue indigo drops.
Stick for its shape and indigo drops for its strength, production, tomato color and very early. the truth is that I do not know if I'm going to continue with the project since I drop indigo lacked flavor however. For now I have planted a seed of that cross and obrservo that has genes of the mother with the leaves in the form of pom pom and the father's genes for having flowers earlier than the stick he planted last year. The truth is that I do not understand much about genetics, but I think it will be fun to observe this plant.
regards

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

That will be a fun project to watch! I like to grow a couple of Stick plants in one pot every few years just because they are so cute. It sure would be nice to retain the pom pom leaves and get some other color or flavor on the tomatoes! Let us know what happens!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

That is a very cool looking F1! There's always something to learn when you grow out a cross. It's a great adventure.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It´s really nice. I've never seen a tomato with leaves.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: gif up.gif (40.9 KB, 122 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a really interesting cross Nico, looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Have fun with it Nico! Always so interesting and so much to be learned in observing. Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #7
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default Some more observations of the cross

Good afternoon from Spain.
I keep observing the cross of stick and indigo drop.The plants that I had last season of stick, obtained three main stems, according to who sent me the seeds, he told me that stick there are several varieties, although many people do not know.
I notice that the plant has several tomatoes together, which stick did not have, and in the upper part of the plant are many flowers coming together like his father (indigo drops), I find it very fun to follow this crossing, I have many I want to see the color of the tomatoes.
I also think that this crossing is very good for beginners, like me, since the two parents have some very significant characteristics, I also think, that next year I will be able to discard small plants in the seedbed, when I do not have the main characteristic that I want, since that the shape of the leaves is detected at the beginning, being the main feature that I want the form of pom pom leaves of the mother.
Greetings.
Nico

Nico.
Old May 30, 2019   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

Those leaves are awfully cute!!
It is really nice to have a trait like that which you can see early on and select for.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019   #9
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bower, I'm looking forward to see the color of the tomatoes

Nico.