Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 26, 2022   #1
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default Non sprouting seed

I had a cross from last year of one of my lines (grape) and a hybrid cherry. I had gotten 10 seeds which I was pleased about as I find cherry tomato crossing very difficult (I almost always break the pistil off of the female flower).

The seed seemed fine, but when I planted this spring them, I got no sprouting at all. All my other seed in the same flat germinated well (with one other exception, as it was very old seed, but even in that case I still got a few plants). Has anyone else seen this using crosses of commercial hybrids? I even thought about whether it (the hybrid) had a terminator gene, but I thought there had been a commitment to not have those in released seeds.

I'm not going to get a definitive answer why my seeds didn't sprout, but it was curious for me, and I wondered if anyone else had seen a similar result.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2022   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello 'crmauch"

I don't and never had noted anyone using a commercial hybrids to Cross a "Tomato or a Cherry".
Even with my own research on the matter; all informations finanilites states never cross a hybrid because you will never get the same resles or suffer low genination rates. I grow Dr. Carolyn Sweet Scarlet Dwarf Tomato that was an F8 for my personal enjoyment. But I don't know if it is released yet. The genination is 60% to good some years. But I don't think it came from a Hybrid
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote