Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 16, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Wildthyme's n' Three-Ways

This right here is RL Green When Ripe Wildthyme --

It's the best tasting big tomato I've ever grown. Everything you've heard is true. It's awesome. BUT, and this is a big but; that's the only one I ripened last year. This year we had an oddly long season, and I got two! It. Just straight up hates my climate.
It has, however proven to be useful in a complex cross - (Beauty King x Indigo Rose) x Green When Ripe Wildthyme.

I could be wrong, but I believe Beauty King x Indigo Rose (or the P20?) was the cross that produced Siberian Tiger, Yellow Dragon etc. I made the cross because, at the time, Siberian Tiger wasn't yet "available", but I found it inspiring and exciting.

Anyway, I grew out 4 F1's from the three-way, and every single one of them tasted great. Which stinks, because now I feel obligated to carry them all forward. : They were also all quite productive - hybrid vigor at work.

#1. The sweetest. The first fruits off the plant were a lot smaller then the later fruits.

#2. No antho, and intense contrast between the (bi) colors. The latest to ripen.

#3. The earliest and most productive (TONS of fruit on a big, jungly plant)

#4. Red with subtle antho. Also very sweet. I like how there's two distinct shades of red/pink in the middle. Slightly less productive then the others, though threw the biggest fruit. Great "run down your chin" juice.

What will this cross produce? Bicolors? Tricolors? GWR? Stripes? Antho? GWR, tricolor, striped Antho's? A lot of next years garden is going to be dedicated to finding out. There's even the potential to see a potato leaf or two, since this years GWRWT plants threw a PL.

To really complicate matters, this summer, I also crossed each of these plants to (KBX x Siberian Tiger)F1 and (Damascus Steel x Mikado Orange) F1; so I'll be growing a couple plants from each of those as well (if anyone wants to wade into that mess, I've got a few extra seeds from the F1's I could share). Seeds from any of the above are also, of course, up for grabs. More seg's = more fun!!!

Last edited by PaddyMc; October 16, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

How exciting it is to do the crosses you've been doing not knowing exactly what you might get, as in surprise, I didn't expect that.

Best one you've ever grown.Paddy, knowing how many you've grown that's high praise indeed.

Doesn't like your climate? Maybe it would llike mine, but that's no good since I no longer can do large growouts as you know.

Here's something to think about.

IT would be great if you had some seeds from some crosses that I could put in the experimental section of my next seed offer in January so that others would have access to them. Bill Jeffers and Steve ( Double Helix) and Vince and some others have done that in the past and it's turned out to be quite popular.

Your choice if you have enough seeds and it's best to e-mail me at cmale@aol.com rather than Pming me since I'm really bad at deleting PM's and the box is almost full.

Carolyn
Old March 23, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Paddy just an update on this variety you sent me. The seed i received was from (beauty king×indigo)×gwr wild thyme #4. I planted 2 seeds and as you predicted one is RL and one is PL. Looks like it did throw a potato leaf in the F2 generation. The seedlings are still to small to put in the garden but i will keep you posted.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Great pix and I wish you great success in your tomato endeavors.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #5
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Hey Paddy just an update on this variety you sent me. The seed i received was from (beauty king×indigo)×gwr wild thyme #4. I planted 2 seeds and as you predicted one is RL and one is PL. Looks like it did throw a potato leaf in the F2 generation. The seedlings are still to small to put in the garden but i will keep you posted.
You've got great luck with finding the PL's (especially only planting two seeds), since the chance of a seed being PL @ F2 in a straight 2 way cross (let alone in a three-way mess like this) is only 1/4. Can't wait to see what they produce for you. :-)
Old March 28, 2015   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

My results were much different it seems!
3-3 RL on #1 seed
4-4 RL on #4 seed

Looking forward to seeing what these will produce this year!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #7
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Hi Paddy. I've been fine tuning a GWR bicolor line from WildThyme (seed from Bill ~3 years ago). I agree completely on flavor, but have also struggled with productivity. Your cross looks like a home run. I made the original cross Beauty King x OSU Blue (P20) and have also found lines derived from this cross to be interesting parents.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #8
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Here's a ton of pictures of some of this year's F2's, with lots of taste reports to follow. To keep it short and sweet - some of these are among my best creations. There's some winners out of this line, and I'm pretty excited to carry a number of these forward.

L 1-4 and L 1-10. L 1-4 has the biggest, brightest "metallic gold" stripes I've seen on any tomato. Very good taste too. Unfortunately, I have very few seeds (long story)

FY 2-6

FY 2-7

FY 2-11

FY 2-14, 2-16, 2-15

FY 2-17

FY 2-11

Last edited by PaddyMc; September 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old September 8, 2015   #9
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

L 1-6

From top, clockwise, L 1-4, L1-3, T 12-2

L 1-5,L 1-3,L 1-2

L 1-17, Showing the antho "bleed" below the skin and into the flesh, a number of the segs in this line show this to some extent, but it's particularly strong in 1-17

L 1-17 and L 1-15
Old September 8, 2015   #10
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

FY 2-13

The GWR's -

L 1-11

L 1-16

L 1-17

L 1-15

L 1-19

L 1-24
Old September 9, 2015   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

I don't understand the low productivity from WildThyme lines as reported by Mark and Paddy. Mine all have been above average to highly productive. Must be my climate vs. their northern climates?

However, I greatly admire the improved looks of some of the outcrossed recombinations these two guys are getting from their WildThyme crosses. I hope the WildThyme parentage is providing enhanced flavors.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #12
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I don't understand the low productivity from WildThyme lines as reported by Mark and Paddy. Mine all have been above average to highly productive. Must be my climate vs. their northern climates?

However, I greatly admire the improved looks of some of the outcrossed recombinations these two guys are getting from their WildThyme crosses. I hope the WildThyme parentage is providing enhanced flavors.
The WildThyme is DEFINITELY providing flavor enhancement. I've asked myself a few times this season "why havn't I crossed more stuff to Wildthyme GWR?". The low production is almost certainly climate related. You're a lot warmer than I am. However many of it's descendants have proved to be both early and productive.

Seriously though, if you're reading this, and you havn't grown Bill's Wildthyme GWR, you owe it to yourself. The taste is THAT good.

And if you'd like to play with any of my crosses displayed above, PM me, and I'll be happy to share seeds.
Old September 18, 2015   #13
Runescape
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
L 1-4 has the biggest, brightest "metallic gold" stripes I've seen on any tomato. Very good taste too. Unfortunately, I have very few seeds (long story)
Thats a neat lookin tomato, what happened man?
Runescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #14
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

I Realized I never posted the rest of my results from this line - which is a shame, because the later maturing ones were some of the best.

FY 2-11 - This is one of the 3 main segs I'm carrying forward, along with the "Antho Mystery" and the "goes to 11" one Blane Horton found. Though that one may wait 'till next year, since Blane needs to concentrate on getting better, rather than sending out seeds (get well Blane!) Anyway, it tastes exceptional, and is very productive.
The looks speak for themselves. The absolute best GWR I grew this year.

The "Antho Mystery". I'm 95% sure this is (Beauty King x Indigo Rose) x GWRWT but I failed to label it (replaced a failure to survive).
Anyway, it's a contender for my "tomato of the year". Taste is a legit 10/10.
Super sweet and rich in perfect balance. Has dark antho without any taste of inky-ness. Production was outstanding. It was a bit later than is optimal for my climate, but I'll let that go. My #1 overall growout of all my crosses for next year.

FY 1-4 Not the most amazing taster, but check out how dark the leaves were!

L 1-11 Mid season, Bicolor. Taste is a 6
Old February 24, 2016   #15
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

L13-3, L13-7, L13-1, L13-6. All average taste.

L13-4. Quite tasty!

L1-12, L1-22

L1-21, L1-22, L1-23. 1-21 Is bicolor, early-mid season and taste is 7.5/10; L1-22 is mid season, taste is 7/10; L1/23 has the looks, but not the taste