Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 23, 2018   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

1. Yes, it's yellow, so you have a red not a pink mater.
2. Some ripe maters have green shoulders. The green shoulder trait is linked to tastiness.

3. The softening makes me think they're ripe, but let some ripen further to be certain.

4. Most importantly, how do they taste?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #17
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I didn't taste them. It was late and I just rushed through the process to save a few seeds. I'll give a report later.
Old May 23, 2018   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes green shoulders are from sunscald too. You might avoid seeds from the green part, they are less likely to be 100% viable if unripeness or sunscald is cause of the green. Seeds from the red part should be ripe and ready.

You definitely have a yellow epidermis and a red fruit, which is exactly what you would expect. Campari is a red parent and that's the dominant color trait, both gf (black fruit) and clear epidermis (pink or purple fruit) are recessive traits, you will expect them showing up roughly one in four of your F2.

BTW is Campari an OP? If it's not a 100% stable OP, then you would have variation in the F1 for the less than fixed traits like shape. So if you're seeing different shapes on different F1 plants, best to save seeds from the one you like best, for sure.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #19
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bower! That makes sense of the shape on some of these. I think Campari is a hybrid and something I didn't think about. The Campari's would be F-2 when I made the cross. I guess I'll label fruit shape and keep seeds separate to use later.
Old June 11, 2018   #20
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been saving seeds and labeling them by shape, some have more of a point than others. I found one that's shaped like the original Campari. These taste like the Campari, not sweet with a good acid flavor and lots of juice. Growing these out should be fun.

One unexpected bonus, this plant is still producing in the heat while most others have shut down. I'm guessing it's like most other cherry tomatoes. What makes cherry tomatoes continue to produce in high heat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2347.JPG (331.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2350.JPG (340.9 KB, 193 views)
Old June 11, 2018   #21
bower
Tomatovillian™

Looking good!

I really don't know why cherries tend to tolerate heat better than others. I think heat tolerance like cold tolerance is a complex trait and additive ( so you end up with the sum of whatever different genetic parts are contributing to the effect). It seems like maybe cherry fruit could be linked to a positive heat tolerance trait. So in spite of the other contributing genetic parts, they tend to score high in temperature tolerance. Just guessing...
Old June 12, 2018   #22
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew 25 different varieties of the best tasting tomatoes mentioned on Tville. Yesterday we did a taste test of some and my cross ended up in the top 3. The tasters were 4 adults and it seems we all like the same strong acid flavors. We didn't rank them in order but just listed them as a good tomato and worth growing again.

These were the top 3:
Campari X Brad's Black Heart
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Cherokee Carbon F-2

Brandywine OTV was close

These were considered the worse, I wouldn't exactly say worse but just a weaker flavor profile.
Red Barn
Limbaugh's Legacy
Porter's Pride
Mayo's Delight
Big Red
Orange Slice F-3

I had a friend over tasting who's also growing most of these and he said his Orange Slice was better from his garden. I'm guessing the soil makes a difference in taste, he has raised beds and I'm growing in ground.

I'm glad everyone like the flavor of the cross, now I need to try to keep it going forward.
Old November 8, 2018   #23
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

A friend of mine grew some of the F-2 seeds for me. He only had a few plants and had to pick them since they were splitting from all the rain and now next week he has some cold weather coming so that's it for his season.

I didn't expect a plum shape but I guess it works since one is a productive determinate plant. I'm waiting on his report on flavor.

I have 15 plants growing now in the GH so hopefully I'll get a black.

Thought's on his pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden 10 30 2018 005 ED.jpg (219.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg garden 10 30 2018 ED011.jpg (281.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0174resized.jpg (244.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0180resized.jpg (139.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0181resize.jpg (148.0 KB, 151 views)
Old November 8, 2018   #24
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

They don't look like good eating tomatoes, but they look like excellent saucers. I'd pick seeds from the most unblemished (for marketing, assuming the taste was the same) and continue from there. They are pretty gnarly looking for the most part.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #25
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you've got lots of fun ahead of you.
Old February 20, 2019   #26
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I snapped a few pics of the F-2's I have growing in the greenhouse. These look promising as far as shape goes now the waiting game on the color.

These pics look the same but I was trying to get the shape of the tomato. I don't remember what cross this is and I hope I can find the note from planting the seeds. It's either one of the following
Siberiam X Rebel Yell
Compari x Brad's Black Heart F-2
Compari X George Detsikas
Compari x Rebell Yell F-1

It's hard to see but the shoulders have a dimple and are almost square.

Old February 20, 2019   #27
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nice to see you getting a jump on the season. Good times.
Old February 21, 2019   #28
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Nice!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote