Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 10, 2019   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default question on a cross

Hello everybody and thanks in advance.
I have a question about the tomato crossing that you made last year.
The parents were two tomato storage plants. The mother a vigorous, multiflora and productive plant and the father was not productive, and small plant, but with the best storage tomatoes that I have had. I want to get a multiflora plant with excellent tomatoes like his father.
It is very difficult to find the multiflora gene over the years?
Thank you

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean will the mf trait show up every year? Or do you mean is it difficult to find a mf to breed with?
Since you already used a mf, all you have to do is select for it. In the F1 it won't be there at all. In the F2, about 1/4 of the plants will be mf.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Nico. Grow your F1 and save lots of seeds. You only need one F1 plant since they are all genetically the same with half and half genes from each parent.

As Ginger said, with multiflora being a simple recessive trait, the expected ratio is one in four plants with that trait. Actual probability of finding one runs a little differently, and better to grow a half dozen plants to be fairly certain to get one multiflora. As long as there is no linkage involved, you can be pretty sure that six is enough to get one.

I guess you can select early for multiflora, as soon as the first cluster is formed. Even starting a lot of plants in small containers, if you can get them to that stage before planting out, you can keep only multifloras, and won't waste any space.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2019   #4
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for your help, the truth is that I wanted to read. Help has helped me a lot.
I plan to plant 20 plants f2 next year

Nico.
Old June 11, 2019   #5
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, from another cross that I am growing up, the father was multiflora and I think this f1 plant is making flower bouquets like his father, or maybe he has to observe it when he grows more ....
Thank you

Nico.